REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bkelble

Do you need AWD/4WD?

406dn
On 1/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Flush said:

Yes sometimes I need 4x4 to get to where I am hunting, or more importantly back out.

Sometimes, twice in the last year, I have needed chains as well as 4x4.

You could still do a lot of hunting with only 2wd in the regions I hunt in, but you would be limited. 

It always cracks me up when guys say "guys with 4x4 are just lazy, just park and walk the rest of the way in"

Ok yeah, just walk that last 20 to 30 miles. 

I remember a certain field trial last spring where 4WD might have been helpful.😉 

The place I most often train and run the dogs is on top of a mesa with the road in is a 7% grade rough gravel road. I always put the truck in 4WD when pulling a horse trailer up it. No doubt it could be done in 2WD most of the time, but not having the tires slip going up the hill is better than the alternative. 

OH Grouser

Ben I've also hunted Ohio with 2 WD vehicles (Chevy Chevette and an S-10 truck) years ago, and only got stuck bad a couple times. One of those I spent the night in the back of the S-10 when I couldn't get out of the Wayne NF after getting snowed in. I swore after than night I'd never have a 2 WD truck again...that S-10 was terrible in the snow, even with sand bags in the bed.

Roger

steveziv

After fording a running stream in my FWD Chevy Impala I realized more ground clearance would be a good idea.  I like having the AWD that typically comes along for the ride when the roads are slick.  When hunting I'll typically avoid locations where I think I may really need AWD.  I don't have the knowledge or equipment to get myself un-stuck in an out of the way location.

martyg
16 minutes ago, OH Grouser said:

Ben I've also hunted Ohio with 2 WD vehicles (Chevy Chevette and an S-10 truck) years ago, and only got stuck bad a couple times. One of those I spent the night in the back of the S-10 when I couldn't get out of the Wayne NF after getting snowed in. I swore after than night I'd never have a 2 WD truck again...that S-10 was terrible in the snow, even with sand bags in the bed.

Roger

Rubber makes a huge difference. I don't feel limited, at all, with FWD in winter.

Trucks are just a no-go in snow. We witness that all of the time in mountainous areas with a lot of snow.

SelbyLowndes

My new car in 1972 was an International Harvester Scout SUV in four wheel drive.  I've never owned anything since but 4WD SUVs.  The South is wet and boggy and although I still get stuck when I'm stupid, I could never go back to 2WD...SelbyLowndes   

Sage Hen

At our place we have about a mile of BLM dirt road before we get to pavement. With lots of snow and drifting we need AWD and 4WD just to leave home starting about the second half of bird season. Would not having 4WD stop me? No because I'm fortunate enough to be able to hunt from home with no rig at all.

Curt

Yep, I use my four wheel drive a lot and would not consider buying a vehicle that did not have it.

salmontogue

Yes.  This is Maine with plenty of back roads and help at a far distance.  Winches are popular for that reason.

Perk

WPG Gizmo

I can get into a lot of places in 2wd that I need 4wd to get out of

I need it more for work though I normally get called in the middle of the night when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground or the roads are slick from ice

max2

For bird hunting here in NY I did  get by with a two wheel dr.  But I always have had a 4 wd for when the weather got dice-ee. I would feel at a loss and would have a tuff time without a 4 wd considering where i live.   Max grew up in this truck aka- The max mobile ~ When Fords  "were " 😀 built tuff 😉.....

Web Max.jpg

Two Barrels

Yes.  I have used it in SC, NC, GA, TN, KS, and ME.  A month ago I was stuck in my truck with 4WD not 200 yards from the house.  That required the 4WD Kubota and a logging chain to correct.  Red clay and 2018 annual rainfall 20 plus inches above average were responsible.

In the mountains near here, the “best“ time to get stuck is in late winter when the ground thaws after having been frozen solid for a month or two.  The top layer of soil is axel grease slick.  4 WD is of no help.

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, max2 said:

For bird hunting here in NY I did  get by with a two wheel dr.  But I always have had a 4 wd for when the weather got dice-ee. I would feel at a loss and would have a tuff time without a 4 wd considering where i live.   Max grew up in this truck aka- The max mobile ~ When Fords  "were " 😀 built tuff 😉.....

Web Max.jpg

Love it. Max looks all business in his truck. Was he considerate enough to crack the wing window when he lit up a cigar in that thing?

Your truck looks like my first diesel, '97 Regular Cab F250 Heavy Duty 4x4 in Ford Red. Miss that truck. 

terrym

I drive a 4x4 Ram and the wife an AWD CRV. There is no way in hell she would go back to a 2wd vehicle. Nor would I. Winters can bite you in the rear here in Ontario. Run Blizzak snow tires on both vehicles too. 

whiskyjack

I will only run 4x4's now. I often require it just to get to work as I am often out on the highway before the plows are out.

I work 25 miles from home, start at 0400hrs. My job is classed as "Essential Services" so the weather is no excuse.

Hunting/fishing my 4x4 gets me where I want to be, gets me out as well. Love my Ram. I hunt and fish the Foothills and Rockies, old logging roads lead to 

some of the best spots. Some of the prairie roads get darn interesting too, esp when it snows. There is a reason us Rednecks drive 4X4!

The only 2 WD I had worth a spit was the 92 GMC 2500 I had. Thankfully it had Positrac which got me in and out of a lot of interesting spots.

Jeff

max2
11 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Love it. Max looks all business in his truck. Was he considerate enough to crack the wing window when he lit up a cigar in that thing?

Your truck looks like my first diesel, '97 Regular Cab F250 Heavy Duty 4x4 in Ford Red. Miss that truck. 

Mark - That truck is still on the road today. I purchased as a 1995 in sept/oct 1994 when the 95's came out  . 2 WD F-250  .Gave it a local kid and he changed a front rusty fender and installed an Aluminum flat bed on it .He doesn't drive it in  winter here and the thing looks great.  The motor is still humming along.  I always changed the "earl" every 3 thousand miles.  Great truck !