shoot-straight

Wintertime Tying Thread

shoot-straight

Seasons are closed or closing soon, nasty weather, dreams of future fish.....

anyone else tying?

Wife and I are headed to the white river in late February for a few days. If they are generating, its prime time to throw giant streamers for brown trout as big as your leg. So,  I'm trying my luck at tying some big ones. 

image.jpg

Thunder Bay

Good looking streamers... I recognize most of them.  I’ve also been thinking about a potential trip back to the White but  will likely be put off until the following year due to other trips already scheduled.

i think I have enough flies right now to open a fly fishing shop 🙂 so not much tying for me.  Although I usually will purchase a dozen or so at the local fly shop wherever I’m at just to make sure I support the local guys.

One of the old timers that I used to fish for big browns with said “Pick any streamer you want, just make sure it’s big and has some yellow in it”.  Looks like we both subscribe to the same philosophy...

MSchafer

I'll be putting the gun away soon and doing some steelhead fishing but mostly egg patterns are all that's needed but on the right day big ugly streamers are the ticket.

Marc Ret

Nice job SS. 

Haven't done much fishing the last few years so my stockpile is sufficient. Seems we've switched to a bit more of a wintry pattern in the last week, hopefully the heavy rains are done and the streams will return to their normal state. With work being slow, I'm hoping to grab the 4wt and spend some time on one of my favorite creeks next week. Thoroughly enjoy wintertime fly-fishing. 

martin9428

I tie once a week with the local chapter of Project Healing Waters. I have loved FF since the early 80's when my dad gave me an old Philipson Master fiberglass rod. I also like building my own rods, mostly for Native Brookies or the occasional Stocked trout

Big Pine

I'm just warming up for my winter tying.  Dry flies first, then some more soft hackles and traditional Northwoods brook trout patterns.  I also owe a buddy a box of jigged nymphs for trout and steelhead.  

Maybe this winter I'll finally teach myself to tie intruders and steelhead sculpins on shanks.  

shoot-straight

i am a huge fan of using the jig style hooks for my anchor fly on my nymph setups. just bought some hooks and the slotted beads for them. i wont say im full on euro-nymphing, but i use elements of it for sure. i just bought a 10' 4wt too. 

swinging soft hackles is a lost art and can be very, very exciting. i think i caught 15 trout on maybe 18 casts (broke off several) on the madison one day when i found out precisely what they wanted and how they wanted it in a little seam downstream of me. it was amazing. i love feeling the take but i always break some off because im too excited.  

i simply suck at tying traditional, standard hackle dry flies. best i can do is a 16 elk hair. i can tie a 20 griffiths gnat too however. both may look like crap but they catch fish. one of the best dry flies i use now is called the puff-daddy. its frequently used in southern tailwaters. all it takes is come cdc and some sort of body material. you can tie them in any color, and they all imitate the same thing- a crippled mayfly. they work during the hatch and even after during the spinner fall. no need to change flies. the only issue is you need to dry them constantly with frogs fanny and switch after a few fish to a fresh one after they get slimed. but they are so easy and quick to tie, you can have many backups.  i took a boxful to MT this year, and they killed it every evening. 

john mcg

Yup---been thinking about it. My stuff is still all packed in a tote since the move.

Besides--I have some quail feathers to use. That will be a first.

🙂

D. Case

Nice looking streamers.  I'm envious of the trip to the White river.  Tying a box now for our RGS auction banquet March 1.

floodcity

Really nice looking streamers. I have been tying smaller streamers getting ready for the PA season. Would love to fish the White someday. Let us know how you do!

20190118_002321.jpg

Brad Eden

I'm a lackadaisical fly tier. Haven't tied for a few years. Some of the work I see here on this Forum and the samples I receive after the Annual UJ Fly Swap are unbelievable. I'd rather leave it to you "professionals"

Question. What type feathers do you tyers like? Do you use ruffed grouse, Woodcock and wild turkey feathers? If so what feathers? I throw out all my game bird feathers, except for nice grouse fans, and it seems a waste. (Not sure if there are regulations prohibiting sending feathers around the country)

Big Pine
7 hours ago, floodcity said:

Really nice looking streamers. I have been tying smaller streamers getting ready for the PA season. Would love to fish the White someday. Let us know how you do!

20190118_002321.jpg

I really like those sculpins.  I fish the St. Joe, which is within spitting distance of Notre Dame, and use a similar pattern for everything from smallmouth and walleye to steelhead.  Are you using ice dub for the head?

floodcity

I use a lot of hungarian partridge neck area feathers for soft hackle, turkey tails for nymph cases, pheasant tails for the famous nymph, and wood duck flank for streamers and classic dries. I have a pile of different feathers from the various birds I harvested last year (blue grouse, sharptail, hun, woodduck,  ruffed,  pheasant) hoping to make a special upland box. 

Big Pine
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Question. What type feathers do you tyers like? Do you use ruffed grouse, Woodcock and wild turkey feathers? If so what feathers? I throw out all my game bird feathers, except for nice grouse fans, and it seems a waste. (Not sure if there are regulations prohibiting sending feathers around the country)

I tie a lot of small wet flies and soft hackles, so I use tons of game bird feathers.  I still end up getting rid of plenty, but have found lots of uses for them, too.  

Ruffed Grouse - breast feathers and capes for soft hackles, soft gray marabou for hex nymphs (try tying a big hex soft hackle sometime--you won't regret it)

Woodcock - breast feathers and capes for little soft hackles.  Really like the color of these.  

Wild turkey - wing and tail feathers for all kinds of patterns, from muddlers to grasshoppers to classic wet flies.

Hungarian Partridge - the classic for soft hackles.  I use the breast and the cape feathers, just like on grouse.  

Gambel's Quail - Haven't used these yet, but have a bag ready to go.  I'll probably tie some small, dark soft hackles with the breast feathers.  

Pheasant - tail feathers for bodies and tails on nymphs and dries, brown marabou for a pattern called the Superior x-legs (steelhead nymph/jig), and sometimes I use the back feathers on streamers and steelhead flies.  

Edit to add wood duck and mallard flank--I use them for classic dry flies and also for Hornbergs.  

floodcity
6 minutes ago, Big Pine said:

I really like those sculpins.  I fish the St. Joe, which is within spitting distance of Notre Dame, and use a similar pattern for everything from smallmouth and walleye to steelhead.  Are you using ice dub for the head?

The heads are made from ice fur which comes in long strands and is  crinkled...easier to work with to me.