REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
aje4

Dodge Ram Trucks?

aje4

I know I am starting something but I am looking for comments from people that have owned or do own a dodge truck.  I’ll be in the market soon and the new ones look great.  I love the 2500 Laramie LongHorn with the gas engine.  Let me know your thoughts on reliability, issues, etc.  I am one that takes care of my stuff and tends to keep it for 10+ years.....

terrym

My employer buys Rams for our sales vehicles. Nationwide we have 100 branches with 5-6 per location. Mine is a 2015 1500 5.7 4x4. I have 160,900 miles on it. It has needed an a/c air conditioner compressor ($1800) and a fuel gauge sensor ($700). My one buddy drives a GMC and he replaced his A/C at 100,000 miles. I replaced the original brakes at 140,000 miles. My mechanic has been in the business for 30 years and just chose a Ram. I get 700kms per fill up easily on regular octane, actually more in summer. 

Cue the Dodge haters.......

dogrunner

Hey, that thing got a Hemi. 😁

blanked

my 2016 2500 with gas 6.4 been good .   I saw a guy with a 2018 6.4.  he was working on chik fil a remodeling it.  he travels all over the country for all the chik fil a   this is his third hemi.  he gets 350,000 miles out of them   

by the way 2014 is when ram really stepped up there game on 2500   older than that is obsolete news as far as I am concerned

salmontogue

I have owned a string of 3500 and 2500 Rams, all diesel.  They have been reliable and all were over 250,000 miles when sold for better than expected money.  I am about to purchase a 2019 but it will probably be gas.  The DEF injection systems on virtually all diesel pickups, regardless of make, are trouble and expensive to replace off warranty......thank you EPA for another useless environmental scheme or was that scam.

Perk

aje4

Keep the information coming....so far I am being convinced even more!  They sure to look amazing compared to the others....

topdog1961

The new ones look good. Round here in the snow belt, Dodges rust first. Just drive down the highway and look over the wheel wells. And when the GMC and Ford trucks (before alluminum bodies) do rust, it's low: rocker panels, cab corners. Not high and staring you in the face like over the wheel wells. 

blanked

I was told anyone who cares about there vehicles runs them through the car wash once a week that cost extra to spray underneath.  No rust issues

gunsrus

I have a 2005 Ram Hemi 1500 two door toy . It only goes out to play and has 30,000 miles . It has never seen snow . I've had work trucks around so it never needs use or abuse . Every other older Ram I see has rust all over the wheel wells except my neighbor with the same truck , who washes the truck regularly with undercarriage included .  

I like my Ram . 

Birdcountry70

My current truck is an 09 Ram 1500 that turned over the 100k miles mark last week.  I have had exactly 1 issue with it but it has recurred 4 times. That is a blend door actuator for the defrost/heat vents.  Until this last time all the replacements I could find were made by a company called Dorman and they would break after a few months. Last time it happened I found a different brand online and it has been fine for 2 years now.  It's only a $18 part but the dash has to come apart to get to it. My cousin has a 2015 just like you are interested in. His has the 6.4 engine. It's his work truck and he already has 88k on it. He said he had a leaky axle seal replaced recently. That's been the only problem. I think he only gets about 14mpg.  My 1500 gets around 16 or 17 hwy with the 5.7 , We don't really worry about any vehicles rusting in MT so I can't comment bon which ones stand up to road salt best.

sidelock
22 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

My current truck is an 09 Ram 1500 that turned over the 100k miles mark last week.  I have had exactly 1 issue with it but it has recurred 4 times. That is a blend door actuator for the defrost/heat vents.  Until this last time all the replacements I could find were made by a company called Dorman and they would break after a few months. Last time it happened I found a different brand online and it has been fine for 2 years now.  It's only a $18 part but the dash has to come apart to get to it. My cousin has a 2015 just like you are interested in. His has the 6.4 engine. It's his work truck and he already has 88k on it. He said he had a leaky axle seal replaced recently. That's been the only problem. I think he only gets about 14mpg.  My 1500 gets around 16 or 17 hwy with the 5.7 , We don't really worry about any vehicles rusting in MT so I can't comment bon which ones stand up to road salt best.

The blend  door actuators are notorious for failing on Rams and its a very expensive fix. Don't ask me how i know ! When I went to the dealer to get a quote for the repair the two guys in the office just looked at each other and didn't quote me a price but one of them said it was an 8 to 10 hour job and left it for me to figure out the cost at $120/ hr for their shop rate LOL.  I ended up  getting the mechanic that does them to do it on the side after work for $500 for labor plus the cost of parts.

gwponr

2017 2500 4x4 with the cumins here, this is my first one I have always bought GMC's since '87 . I runs great gets great milage(except when I tow my RV) tows anything like beast, I liked it enough I just got a 2018 5500 ram cab and Chassis. I traded my 2015 GMC in on it. If I have any complaints about the dodge it would be the ride, not so much around town or on the highway but on them washboard dirt roads out hunting you need a dang kidney belt. That is the only thing I like better about my GMC is that they ride like a car compared to the dodge.

Jacksdad
10 hours ago, blanked said:

I was told anyone who cares about there vehicles runs them through the car wash once a week that cost extra to spray underneath.  No rust issues

Sounds like something a dodge dealer would say.  It’s not hard to find a dodge that has rust over the rear wheels at an early age.  Sorta like Chevy trucks with bad headlight bulbs.  

OP I agree the rams are good looking particularly in the 2500 size class.  Find a ram forum and look through several pages of posts to get an idea how the owners like their trucks.   

Fur and Feathers
19 hours ago, blanked said:

I was told anyone who cares about there vehicles runs them through the car wash once a week that cost extra to spray underneath.  No rust issues.

I get my vehicles sprayed annually with Krown rust protection, and of course was them when the weather allows. It costs $150 for a full size truck. Worth every penny of you plan to keep them. I have a co-worker with an 09 truck that he has has sprayed yearly and it has 0 rust. 

WhatsDaPoint

2016 2500 Cummins. 107k. Has been a great vehicle. Upgraded clutch to a south bend at 105k. 

Change my own oil and filters. Also do the Krown service annually. 

Replaced a water pump under a recall. That’s been the only issue. 

D1EB5323-4A49-4A9D-8CE1-F7C79FFC2B39.jpeg