Remo

HUNTING ND? MAYBE NOT

Remo

ND's current hunting law for trespass is that you can hunt private land that is not specifically posted No Hunting. Our current law has stood for ninety years. That may change with SB-2315, just introduced in the ND State Legislature.

If you hunt ND then the ND sportsmen need your help and you will help yourself too. Last summer I attended a series of meetings held with the ND Stockmen's Asc. , ND Game & Fish, and various state hunting organizations.

The Stockmen are bring a NO HUNTING/NO TRESPASS bill into the legislature that would automatically post all private land. It failed last session by a 2/3 majority. This bill is regularly defeated in previous sessions but this time it is being heard in the Ag Committee, instead of Natural Resources. Pretty tricky. No doubt it will pass in committee and go to a floor vote. It is the same blueprint used last year in Idaho by ag groups there to shut down access.

THE BILL IS BEING FAST TRACKED THROUGH THE LEGISLATURE TO BYPASS SPORTSMEN OPPOSITION.

If passed, public hunting access will crumble as 93% of ND is private land. The Stockmen's Asc. are working on the theory that you don't have to ban guns, just make ammo inaccessible and get the same result. Then public hunting in ND will be pay-to-play. Money is the motivator.

The ND Wildlife Federation, ND Bowhunter's Asc., United Sportsmen of ND, ND Sportsmen's Etree and many county and local wildlife clubs oppose this bill. But we need help.

The dollars visiting sportsmen spend at local businesses while here make an impact with legislators as all legislative districts receive tourism revenue during hunting season. Food, beverage, lodging, & fuel are big expenses.

The bill # is SB-2315. Underlined portions are the new bill language if you wish to read it:

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-0896-01000.pdf

Let our State Senators know your thoughts on SB-2315, No Hunting/No Trespass, polite and concise. This is the email block for all ND State Senators:

hcanderson@nd.gov , jbakke@nd.gov , bbekkedahl@nd.gov , raburckhard@nd.gov , dclemens@nd.gov , dcook@nd.gov , kdavison@nd.gov , ddever@nd.gov , jdotzenrod@nd.gov , madwyer@nd.gov , jayelkin@nd.gov , rerbele@nd.gov , rfors@nd.gov , jgrabinger@nd.gov , jheckaman@nd.gov , khogan@nd.gov , dhogue@nd.gov , rholmberg@nd.gov , jkannianen@nd.govjklein@nd.gov , kkrebsbach@nd.gov , ckreun@nd.gov , olarsen@nd.gov , dklarson@nd.gov , galee@nd.gov , jlee@nd.gov , lluick@nd.gov , rmarcellais@nd.gov , tmathern@nd.gov , scottmeyer@nd.gov , jmyrdal@nd.gov , eoban@nd.gov , doehlke@nd.gov , aosland@nd.gov , dpatten@nd.gov , mpiepkorn@nd.gov , npoolman@nd.gov , lrobinson@nd.gov , jroers@nd.gov , kroers@nd.gov , drust@nd.gov , dgschaible@nd.gov , rsorvaag@nd.gov , jkunruh@nd.gov , svedaa@nd.gov , tmwanzek@nd.gov , rwardner@nd.gov

Your help is appreciated by most everyone who hunts in ND. If you frequent other hunting boards pass this on.

Remo

image.thumb.png.65334160b2913b2e40e62e319e500c06.png

Irishwhistler

Remo,

Thanks for posting this.  Send some emails Mates and lend ye help.  It is in our collective best interests.👍

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Clueless1

Done. 

Fire Marshal Bill

Same, Done. 

oldbird

Thanks for the heads up.  Done.

Canuck

Thanks Remo. I was just bringing this to the attention of my pheasant hunting buddy when you posted.

We will both send requests to vote No from Canada.

watermen

Done

Remo

Thank you Gentlemen! Last session when this bill was crunched we were told that the legislature received more comments against the No Hunting bill than on any other issue they had that session. Taking a few minutes to send the email matters. They do listen.

Pass it on.

SB_2315

Randy S

Thanks, Remo! I gave them more opinion than they'll likely want to read. 

Sage Hen

Idaho has already gone down this road and it's not a good direction to go. I'll let them know what I think.

Clueless1

I actually got two responses today.  They were obviously not 'canned' responses either.  Merrill Piepkorn has indicated he will vote no.  Joelle Bakke has indicated that "she is thankful for my email and will watch for this bill"

Canuck

Remo,

I emailed the list of representatives and actually got a response overnight from one of them (Merrill Piepkorn) thanking me for my input.

When is the vote?

I envy the well managed system in ND as it stands now and have held it up as an example of a properly managed and respectful system. It strikes the right balance between hunters and landowners.  If landowners want hunters to come to them and ask permission (or don’t want hunters at all), then legally post your land once a year. If you don’t care or don’t want to be pestered by people wanting permission, then don’t post your land. If a hunter can take the time to be respectful as to where they can and cannot hunt, then farmers can take a day to nail up some signs.  I believe this is what the vast majority of landowners (and hunters) want.

oldbird

Want to get a rise out of them? Tell them you are taking your business to South Dakota! I emailed all of them and got quite a few responses.😄

Remo
4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Remo,

I emailed the list of representatives and actually got a response overnight from one of them (Merrill Piepkorn) thanking me for my input.

When is the vote?

I envy the well managed system in ND as it stands now and have held it up as an example of a properly managed and respectful system. It strikes the right balance between hunters and landowners.  If landowners want hunters to come to them and ask permission (or don’t want hunters at all), then legally post your land once a year. If you don’t care or don’t want to be pestered by people wanting permission, then don’t post your land. If a hunter can take the time to be respectful as to where they can and cannot hunt, then farmers can take a day to nail up some signs.  I believe this is what the vast majority of landowners (and hunters) want.

Can't thank you guys enough, it's turning into a real catfight, as was expected. 😁 The ag committee holds the public hearing on Friday, the 25th, and may vote that day to send it to the floor next week. If they hold off on the committee vote Friday, it will be at least 8 working days before the floor vote. Every contact helps. Public Hunting Forever!!!!!!!

john mcg

I sent a note to each of them.

I used loss of income as a lever...and threw in the South Dakota bit for good measure.