REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Remo

HUNTING ND? MAYBE NOT

Remo
2 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

This topic is confusing to me. Are you saying the public has a right to trespass on private land? Just curious.

Yes, same hunting trespass law as some of the New England states. If it isn't posted you can enter for hunting. That is how SD used to be.....

Birdcountry70
8 hours ago, Big Al said:

I wonder what the land owners think about this?  Are there any on UJ?

I'm also curious why you all think this is the end of access for hunters?  What they are proposing is what Montana has for a trespass law and hunters still consider MT a destination.  I'm not taking sides just trying to find out why the sky is falling.

My first few years of bird hunting here in MT were back when we were allowed to hunt unposted private land for birds.  I recall how nice it was to be able to just drive across the prarie hunting likely coulees or abandoned farmsteads and windrows. Any landowner who cared if someone hunted their land needed only to paint a couple fence posts orange at access points or lacking a fence a rock or telephone pole etc.  although it seemed nobody bothered.  Now, finding new spots takes a huge amount of time and research.  I never even heard about our MT law when it was in the works, only after it was too late.  If I could go back I'd sure fight like hell to keep access to unposted land.  It seems to me that there was no downside to the way it was before the law changed.  I wish ND hunters the best of luck.

s.davis

Double

s.davis

Triple post

s.davis

Quadruple post. Sorry.

s.davis
20 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Essentially yes, if the land is not properly and legally posted the public has the right to hunt on the land.  

As it should be.

GB Jack

I signed , but have hunted ND a few times . I never went in any land , even if it wasn’t posted , without asking the landowner first . The overwhelming majority were happy to help you where the birds were , unless they had leased to guides , etc . 

I understand this makes it a tad bit more difficult . Just go ask permission, it’s amazing some of the friends and tips I’ve recieved from ND farms. I bring at least 15 great hunks of wiscosin cheese and give one to any owner who takes the time to speak to me, even if denied permission. It’s amazing how many times they say “ come back tomorrow”,

then let you hunt . 

GB Jack
6 hours ago, s.davis said:

As it should be.

Respectfully , I don’t understand that attitude. Like saying if I don’t post a sign on my house , anyone ca just walk right in. 

IsThisHeaven?

Sent 

Remo
14 hours ago, GB Jack said:

Respectfully , I don’t understand that attitude. Like saying if I don’t post a sign on my house , anyone ca just walk right in. 

And I understand your point too. That thought is often expressed in the arguments.  But....Here in ND there have been many tax benefits given to farmers/ranchers that people in town don't get. 
It is a trade off in $$$ values IMO. I don't pay a penny of property tax on any buildings, my house included. The guy in town does. I pay a lower rate of state sales tax than a guy in town. I don't need a CDL truck license. The guy in town does. There are many other bennies too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearing  update:  The hearing was held, sportsmen had a small turnout as usual with these things, lots of bitching, not much action. The ranchers showed up in 2 bus loads. The senate committee took no action yet. Still have time to act if you haven't yet. The economic argument of what you as a tourist spends, gets the senate's ear. 

Let our State Senators know your thoughts on SB-2315, No Hunting/No Trespass, polite and concise. This is the email block for all ND State Senators:

hcanderson@nd.gov , jbakke@nd.gov , bbekkedahl@nd.gov , raburckhard@nd.gov , dclemens@nd.gov , dcook@nd.gov , kdavison@nd.gov , ddever@nd.gov , jdotzenrod@nd.gov, madwyer@nd.gov , jayelkin@nd.gov , rerbele@nd.gov , rfors@nd.gov , jgrabinger@nd.gov , jheckaman@nd.gov , khogan@nd.gov , dhogue@nd.gov , rholmberg@nd.gov , jkannianen@nd.gov jklein@nd.gov , kkrebsbach@nd.gov , ckreun@nd.gov , olarsen@nd.gov , dklarson@nd.gov , galee@nd.gov , jlee@nd.gov , lluick@nd.gov , rmarcellais@nd.gov , tmathern@nd.gov , scottmeyer@nd.gov , jmyrdal@nd.gov , eoban@nd.gov , doehlke@nd.gov , aosland@nd.gov , dpatten@nd.gov , mpiepkorn@nd.gov , npoolman@nd.gov , lrobinson@nd.gov , jroers@nd.gov , kroers@nd.gov , drust@nd.gov , dgschaible@nd.gov , rsorvaag@nd.gov , jkunruh@nd.gov , svedaa@nd.gov , tmwanzek@nd.gov , rwardner@nd.gov

john mcg
14 hours ago, GB Jack said:

I don't know about out west, but back  in NH, that law has been in place since early settlement days. When folks hunted to put food on the table.

Back in merry old England, a citizen could be hung for shooting 'the King's deer"--or so I understand.

GB Jack
30 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I don't know about out west, but back  in NH, that law has been in place since early settlement days. When folks hunted to put food on the table.

Back in merry old England, a citizen could be hung for shooting 'the King's deer"--or so I understand.

I’ve hunted the dakotas and Idaho, so I get it, just seems “ foreign” to me. But I live in Wisco , where you will get shot for trespassing 

john mcg
6 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

I’ve hunted the dakotas and Idaho, so I get it, just seems “ foreign” to me. But I live in Wisco , where you will get shot for trespassing 

I suspect its the same here in Okie Land. "Yer on my land son".

LOL

joec

I sent an email.

we have hunted in ND for years.  We used and still do ask before entering unposted private land. The common response is if I wanted to be bothered and have to give permission I would have posted it. 

robp
9 minutes ago, joec said:

I sent an email.

we have hunted in ND for years.  We used and still do ask before entering unposted private land. The common response is if I wanted to be bothered and have to give permission I would have posted it. 

That is a typical response I don't want to be bothered even from land owners who post their properties that have given me permission to hunt it. Good luck getting anyone to answer their phone from an unknown number. Good luck finding the land owner, many have moved in town or out of town.

I have never had an issue with  a land owner who didn't want me hunting his unposted property never had an issue with posted property cause I stay off it unless I have permission