Hunski

Garmin fenix 5 Watch

Hunski

Hello Upland Team,

Anybody have any experience with the fenix 5 watch connecting to the Garmin Alpha series handhelds. More specific to the question: is it accurate to the direction/distance of the pointing/running dog in the field. Any experience with this watch, I would love the feedback. I am thinking of pulling the trigger soon to buy one.

Todd

Craig Doherty

Had mine for over a year -- wear it everyday -- even when I'm not working dogs.  Works great with my Alpha and usually have two dogs down.  It does need to be calibrated to increase accuracy and is then as accurate as the Alpha.  Had it on today when working dogs.  i was actually working two dogs but find it easier to read the big numbers so I just toggle back and forth using the buttons on the watch.

IMG_3602.JPG

Jim Vander

Do they provide a point alarm of any kind? I find it very hard to detect on my alpha.

Dave Erickson
5 minutes ago, Jim Vander said:

Do they provide a point alarm of any kind? I find it very hard to detect on my alpha.

The watch will vibrate when the dog goes on point. I can easily feel my Fenix 3 vibrate on my wrist even when the watch is riding over a base layer. 

Jim Vander

Thank you!

aje4

Agreed....I bought the Fenix 5 this Fall and really like having it on when hunting....

Kansas Bound

One feature that I like on my Fenix 5 is the display of both my dogs and my hunting partner. It will provide direction and distance to all three.

nobirdshere

I have the 3 and really like it. It is as accurate as the Alpha and a lot more convenient. As already noted, it vibrates when a dog is on point. Makes me jump every time, but then I get excited. It makes it a lot easier to get back to them compared to using staring at the handheld and is a quick glance at the watch.

Hunski

Perfect, I am convinced and thanks for the input. I, too, feel like i am always reaching for the handheld.

Thanks,

grouse28
5 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

One feature that I like on my Fenix 5 is the display of both my dogs and my hunting partner. It will provide direction and distance to all three.

I assume that your partner needs a Fenix watch also? Or a gps collar.

Kansas Bound
1 hour ago, grouse28 said:

I assume that your partner needs a Fenix watch also? Or a gps collar.

We both have our Alphas pair together.  The Fenix shows his location in yards and direction similar to my dogs.  

I am the only one with the Fenix watch.

mudbatt
On 1/22/2019 at 8:00 PM, Craig Doherty said:

Had mine for over a year -- wear it everyday -- even when I'm not working dogs.  Works great with my Alpha and usually have two dogs down.  It does need to be calibrated to increase accuracy and is then as accurate as the Alpha.  Had it on today when working dogs.  i was actually working two dogs but find it easier to read the big numbers so I just toggle back and forth using the buttons on the watch.

IMG_3602.JPG

I assume you can leave the handheld at home and just run the dogs with watch?  Or do you have to have the handheld on you?

Peent
1 hour ago, mudbatt said:

I assume you can leave the handheld at home and just run the dogs with watch?  Or do you have to have the handheld on you?

It has to pair with the alpha receiver to work.  

Hunski

Just an update for anybody following this thread. I purchased the Fenix 5X Sapphire on gundogsupply.com. I was skeptical of the accuracy concerning the arrow and direction of my dogs. I have two BIG running pointers, which I can barely relax and they could be opposite direction 600 + yds out—I have these dogs specifically for the west desert, and it seems to work for me. Anyway, I could not be happier with this purchase. It really works well. It alerts with a vibration when the dogs are on point and all I have to do is look at my watch for the direction, not un-clip the handheld. Super cool product!

Dogmountain

Both the Garmin Instinct ($299) and the Fenix Series will pair with the Garmin Pro 550 Plus and Garmin Alpha 100 System for quick reference tracking on the wrist.  Front Range Gun Dog is a proud sponsor of the Upland Journal.  Please feel free to call us with any questions 720-557-6075.

IMG_2177.jpg