Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Hunski

Garmin fenix 5 Watch

Recommended Posts

tjk1952

Looking at the fenix 5 and am trying to decide between 5s and 5. Is the 5 really large and if you have the 5s is the screen large enough to read easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus
32 minutes ago, tjk1952 said:

Looking at the fenix 5 and am trying to decide between 5s and 5. Is the 5 really large and if you have the 5s is the screen large enough to read easily.

This thread has peaked my interest . Looking forward to a reply . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEPAlander

I went through the decision last year, and settled on the 5s. The 5 was too big for me, even with the 5s, some of the cuffs on my dress shirts won’t button around the 5s. I find the screen on the 5s is easy to read, the screen is larger than my last watch (g-shock). Overall, im very pleased with the 5s, and don’t miss being able to open a map on my watch face 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus
2 minutes ago, SEPAlander said:

I went through the decision last year, and settled on the 5s. The 5 was too big for me, even with the 5s, some of the cuffs on my dress shirts won’t button around the 5s. I find the screen on the 5s is easy to read, the screen is larger than my last watch (g-shock). Overall, im very pleased with the 5s, and don’t miss being able to open a map on my watch face 

I don't understand open a map on my watch face 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEPAlander
31 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I don't understand open a map on my watch face 

Al - the fenix5 has a ‘widget’ (application on the watch) that supports viewing a map on the watch face. For trail runners and the like, the gps on the watch will show your position on a map view. The fenix 5s, having a smaller face, does not support the map feature. Not sure how the map feature on the fenix5 integrates with other GPS devices (like an alpha) If at all.  Hope this provides some clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus
38 minutes ago, SEPAlander said:

Al - the fenix5 has a ‘widget’ (application on the watch) that supports viewing a map on the watch face. For trail runners and the like, the gps on the watch will show your position on a map view. The fenix 5s, having a smaller face, does not support the map feature. Not sure how the map feature on the fenix5 integrates with other GPS devices (like an alpha) If at all.  Hope this provides some clarity.

Don't really need the map , just wondering . Always have the Alpha for more info if needed but really like the idea of not pulling it off the clip to see what direction the dog is on point . For me , I think smaller is better . Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aje4

Look at the $150 off link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus
47 minutes ago, aje4 said:

Look at the $150 off link

Saw that on Front Range Gun Dog . That's what prompted my attention . I like the 5s .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kieffer
5 hours ago, SEPAlander said:

I went through the decision last year, and settled on the 5s. The 5 was too big for me, even with the 5s, some of the cuffs on my dress shirts won’t button around the 5s. I find the screen on the 5s is easy to read, the screen is larger than my last watch (g-shock). Overall, im very pleased with the 5s, and don’t miss being able to open a map on my watch face 

 

I see the 5S has a shorter battery life.  How often do you find that it needs charged when using to track your dog over multiple days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WPG Gizmo

I have a 3 it does everything I want it to and the amount of apps or widgets you can add to it is crazy paired with my phone it tells me when I get email or text.  The watch bands are easy to swap out.  The only thing I wish I had got was the heart rate monitor on the wrist but I can always get the chest monitor.  I charged my watch on Monday I still have 84% battery left on Friday so the battery life is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEPAlander
45 minutes ago, Kieffer said:

 

I see the 5S has a shorter battery life.  How often do you find that it needs charged when using to track your dog over multiple days?

I don’t actually use the watch to track dogs, hunt behind close working dogs (lab or uncles Spinone), so can’t answer with a lot of accuracy. I will say, with heavy GPS use (~6hrs tracking myself on hikes) I can go 3-days before I need a charge. Don’t know if the battery life is longer if the other device is doing the heavy lifting. The battery does charge very quickly, in 15min my 5s goes from 5% to 100% charge. As an everyday wear watch for me, size trumped a couple of the other considerations.

Edited by SEPAlander
Added last thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scar

A Garmin watch paired to the handheld receiver is a luxury.  But, once you have it you won't ever want to be without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GLS

Just after the 5 was introduced, the prices on the 3 tumbled.  I bought my 3 HR (Sapphire crystal) NIB for $289.  What a deal.  The price didn't sit low for very long.  It's my daily wear and has become indispensable hunting quail and woodcock. I run two dogs on the Astro 320 but have three collars.  One ("Truck")  I leave in the truck so I have dogs and truck location visible on my watch screen without a change of screens or fumbling with the handheld.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
terrym
On 6/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, GLS said:

Just after the 5 was introduced, the prices on the 3 tumbled.  I bought my 3 HR (Sapphire crystal) NIB for $289.  What a deal.  The price didn't sit low for very long.  It's my daily wear and has become indispensable hunting quail and woodcock. I run two dogs on the Astro 320 but have three collars.  One ("Truck")  I leave in the truck so I have dogs and truck location visible on my watch screen without a change of screens or fumbling with the handheld.  

Are you saying that the Fenix watch will work with the Astro 320? I’m just starting to research the Fenix system but already own an Astro 320 and the Dogtra 2500 t&b and unfortunately have lots of money tied up already. Simplifying the krap my poor little female Setter wears has appeal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GLS

Yes.  The watch via bluetooth communicates with the Astro but you must have the most current  Asto 320 software loaded via Garmin Express .  Instructions are available online.  Gil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×