REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Hunski

Garmin fenix 5 Watch

Ridge Runner

Fenix is nice & works well. 

But, if it is out of your budget range for the moment, you may want to look at the Garmin Vivoactive HR.  Have had one for a couple of years and works well.  Have used with the Astro 320 and the Alpha 100.  No problems.  Would never be without it again.  Gives point alarms.  AND it has a programmable range alarm on both Astro & Alpha.  Love that  feature.  Don't have to look @ Receiver all the time with big running dogs as it will let you know when they go outside the range you enter.  Now spend more time watching where walking, the dogs, the scenery, etc.  Much, Much more enjoyable.  Current ebay prices $20 & up used.  ~$100 refurb.  ~ $140 new. 

Great for tracking steps, sleep, calories, heart rate, etc.   100% waterproof.  Can swim with.   Has GPS in it so will keep track of your course and can enter a predetermined course to follow, if so desire.  Anyway, still ticking after 3 years of abuse.  Did put a screen protector and also a silicon "case" on to act as a shock absorber.

Probably have other watches that work also, for even lower costs.  Can visit the Garmin website for these devices and search for Dog Tracker apps.  Then, look into the compatability of the various makes and models of watches.  The programmer who wrote the apps is great and eager to help if you do experience any issues.  Just drop him an email.  And, the apps and support are free.

RR       

Ridge Runner

Oh, and far as watch accuracy, it is as accurate as your Alpha or Astro.  The watch just points where they point rather than tracking your collars directly.  It is cloning your Receiver screen as such.   The app programmer can fill you in with the details if so desired.

But, if it is out of your budget range for the moment, you may want to look at the Garmin Vivoactive HR.  Have had one for a couple of years and works well.  Have used with the Astro 320 and the Alpha 100.  No problems.  Would never be without it again.  Gives point alarms.  AND it has a programmable range alarm on both Astro & Alpha.  Love that  feature.  Don't have to look @ Receiver all the time with big running dogs as it will let you know when they go outside the range you enter.  Now spend more time watching where walking, the dogs, the scenery, etc.  Much, Much more enjoyable.  Current ebay prices $20 & up used.  ~$100 refurb.  ~ $140 new. 

Great for tracking steps, sleep, calories, heart rate, etc.   100% waterproof.  Can swim with.   Has GPS in it so will keep track of your course and can enter a predetermined course to follow, if so desire.  Anyway, still ticking after 3 years of abuse.  Did put a screen protector and also a silicon "case" on to act as a shock absorber.

Probably have other watches that work also, for even lower costs.  Can visit the Garmin website for these devices and search for Dog Tracker apps.  Then, look into the compatability of the various makes and models of watches.  The programmer who wrote the apps is great and eager to help if you do experience any issues.  Just drop him an email.  And, the apps and support are free.

RR       

gaberdeen

Just bought home a Garmin Instinct. Too tired tonight to do much with it. To tomorrow I’ll see what it’s all about.

Cooter Brown
On 8/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, gaberdeen said:

Just bought home a Garmin Instinct. Too tired tonight to do much with it. To tomorrow I’ll see what it’s all about.

Let me know if you have an issue.  I have one and have worked it out pretty well.

There's a manual for it in PDF on the Garmin website.

gaberdeen
1 minute ago, Cooter Brown said:

Let me know if you have an issue.  I have one and have worked it out pretty well.

There's a manual for it in PDF on the Garmin website.

Thanks Cooter! Plan on playing with it some this weekend. I think I’m really going to like not digging out the handheld every time the dog is off in the distance!

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, gaberdeen said:

Thanks Cooter! Plan on playing with it some this weekend. I think I’m really going to like not digging out the handheld every time the dog is off in the distance!

The biggest advantage I see to the watch is that it addresses the biggest problem with the Alpha--having to look at the handheld to see if the dog has come off point.  A glance down at the watch as you're approaching the point will confirm that the dog is still on point.  If you spin the watch around to the inside of your wrist you can see it easily with the gun at port arms on the way to the point, if you wear the watch on the hand that holds the forend.

In case you haven't discovered it yet, the button at 10 o'clock puts it in large number mode.  When it's in that mode the buttons at 8 and 9 o'clock scroll between dogs.

I also discovered a weird bug.  If you change the watch face to minute and hour hands (analog) and put battery level indicator in the data field, the pointer won't work properly in tracking mode--when the dog goes on point it goes from "Dog on point"  back to the batt level instead of the pointer.  It works properly if you use anything else in that data field.  I use moon phase.  It took a couple of days to figure this out because the analog watch face is the only one it does this with.  Garmin asked me to write this up in an email  them so maybe they'll fix it but moon phase is fine for me.

Kansas Bound

The Fenix 6 was released today

snood

So.....any deals on the 5 now?😁

Quig
On 8/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Ridge Runner said:

RR       

To use this watch with a Astro 320, do you need the verizon phone service?

GLS
25 minutes ago, Quig said:

To use this watch with a Astro 320, do you need the verizon phone service?

No.  Bluetooth is a function of the handheld and watch,  independent of phone service.  Phone service has no role in the Alpha or Astro series which work on GPS.  Gil

OutlawTorn
On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 PM, Kansas Bound said:

The Fenix 6 was released today

Of course it was, because I just bought the 5 two months ago.

Looks like the added battery life and Ox sensor would have been the only features I'd have cared about and I got mine for much cheaper than MSRP on the 6 so I shouldn't complain.

Ducks Rx

Really like the idea of smart watch.  I have a Astro 320 about 3 yrs old and 1 collar.  eBay has new Garmin vivoactive 3 for $155.10. Any idea if this is compatible?

snood

Anyone know how close the watch has to be to the handheld for it to work?

8 minutes ago, snood said:

Anyone know how close the watch has to be to the handheld for it to work?

25ish feet in my experience. 

snood

Thank you