REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Hunski

Garmin fenix 5 Watch

Cooter Brown

I really like the Instinct so far and I don't think it gives up much to the Fenix in terms of utility--it alerts me to a point, tells me how far the dog is and where.  Data like distance traveled, track, etc., I don't really need much during the hunt, though I like to know that stuff after.  And I can always look at the Alpha if I need to during the day.  The dog tracking widget for the Instinct is very basic but it's also a much less expensive option.

One thing the Instinct doesn't show that I suspect the Fenix does is the running pointer, which shows the direction of travel of the dog.  Not a deal breaker, but it's a thing I've come to like about the Alpha.

Ridge Runner
On 9/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, Ducks Rx said:

Really like the idea of smart watch.  I have a Astro 320 about 3 yrs old and 1 collar.  eBay has new Garmin vivoactive 3 for $155.10. Any idea if this is compatible?

Don't know for sure, but the programmer who wrote the app has it listed as compatible.  Here is the link.  https://apps.garmin.com/en-NZ/apps/2b0019e1-38c9-4b51-9c02-f077cbc9227b

There is a tab to hit just under the watch labeled "compatible devices" .  He gives a very long and extensive list of compatible devices.  If you have any questions, don't be afraid to contact him as he has been very helpful to me when updates have caused issues.  He got them resolved quickly.  Great guy.  

Dave Quindt

Is there any material difference between the dog "tracking" (I get that the watch isn't actually tracking) capabilities of the various models of Garmin watches?  I want to buy one; only would use it for hunting, but determining what the differences are for this 1 minor part of the feature suite has been daunting.  

Thanks,

Dave

4 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

One thing the Instinct doesn't show that I suspect the Fenix does is the running pointer, which shows the direction of travel of the dog.  Not a deal breaker, but it's a thing I've come to like about the Alpha.

Fenix does the same thing, direction from you the dog is, and how far away. 

Cooter Brown
55 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Fenix does the same thing, direction from you the dog is, and how far away. 

I think we're talking about different things.  I was referring to "Running Pointers".  On the Alpha when you're in the compass screen the dog field(s) is/are at the bottom of the screen. That field shows collar name and distance, and there's a symbol that changes from running dog to dog on point.  When "Running Pointers" is on the running dog symbol becomes an arrow.  It shows direction of travel of the moving dog--arrow pointing up is north regardless of whether the unit is set to "North Up" or "Track Up" or which way the handheld is facing.  In other words when the dog is moving east, the arrow points to the right, dog moving south, arrow points down, etc.

When the dog points the arrow changes to the pointing dog symbol.

The Instinct has the pointing dog/running dog symbol, but there's not an option for that direction of travel arrow--there's only one arrow and it points to where the dog is at the time of the last ping from the collar.

46 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I think we're talking about different things.  I was referring to "Running Pointers".  On the Alpha when you're in the compass screen the dog field(s) is/are at the bottom of the screen. That field shows collar name and distance, and there's a symbol that changes from running dog to dog on point.  When "Running Pointers" is on the running dog symbol becomes an arrow.  It shows direction of travel of the moving dog--arrow pointing up is north regardless of whether the unit is set to "North Up" or "Track Up" or which way the handheld is facing.  In other words when the dog is moving east, the arrow points to the right, dog moving south, arrow points down, etc.

When the dog points the arrow changes to the pointing dog symbol.

The Instinct has the pointing dog/running dog symbol, but there's not an option for that direction of travel arrow--there's only one arrow and it points to where the dog is at the time of the last ping from the collar.

Which is exactly what my Fenix does. 

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, NECarson said:

Which is exactly what my Fenix does. 

I'm still not clear, Nick.  The Fenix has the arrow pointing at the dog as well as a pointer showing direction of travel as the dog moves?

Ducks Rx

Ridge Runner, thanks for link. I am ordering the vivoactive 3 and will let y'all know how it does.  

6 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I'm still not clear, Nick.  The Fenix has the arrow pointing at the dog as well as a pointer showing direction of travel as the dog moves?

Just to where your dog is. 

Not direction of travel. 

Cooter Brown
6 hours ago, NECarson said:

Just to where your dog is. 

Not direction of travel. 

Thanks, gotcha.  Hopefully at some point they'll include direction of travel in a software update on the watches--it's a neat feature.

5 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Thanks, gotcha.  Hopefully at some point they'll include direction of travel in a software update on the watches--it's a neat feature.

Yes it is, I'd like to have it. 

Not sure how it would work on such a small display, but that's why I'm not a software engineer! 

Cooter Brown
47 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Not sure how it would work on such a small display, but that's why I'm not a software engineer! 

It might not--it's already amazing how much is packed into the device, accesible with only 5 buttons.

7 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

It might not--it's already amazing how much is packed into the device, accesible with only 5 buttons.

No kidding! 

It blows my mind. 

Cooter Brown
28 minutes ago, NECarson said:

No kidding! 

It blows my mind. 

Garmin has some very smart people.

I'm pretty sure that when I first got my Alpha--not long after they came out--it didn't have the Running Pointers function and that it only showed up after a software update.

duluthUPLAND
18 hours ago, Ducks Rx said:

Ridge Runner, thanks for link. I am ordering the vivoactive 3 and will let y'all know how it does.  

I would seriously consider avoiding the Vivioactive 3 and going with the instinct. I owned a vivioactive 3 prior to my Fenix 5. 

At that time you could track your dog with a third party app but it limited some other things you could do with the watch at the same time. Also, the battery life on the vivioactive 3 was very poor relative to the Fenix and the Instinct.

Just my thoughts...