Hunski

Garmin fenix 5 Watch

duluthUPLAND
On 9/11/2019 at 9:28 AM, Dave Quindt said:

Is there any material difference between the dog "tracking" (I get that the watch isn't actually tracking) capabilities of the various models of Garmin watches?  I want to buy one; only would use it for hunting, but determining what the differences are for this 1 minor part of the feature suite has been daunting.  

Thanks,

Dave

The "widget" that connects with the Alpha and tracks the dog on the Garmin watches should be the same on the Instinct and the Fenix. I bought my Fenix before the Instinct had come out.

I think the instinct is a great option and was much needed as far as price point goes. A couple of friends have it and are very pleased with it. I'm equally as pleased with the Fenix but had the Instinct been out at that time, I probably would have wound up with that.

As I mentioned in another comment, you want to steer clear of the Vivioactive 3 or any other watch that is not compatible with the 1st-party Garmin dog tracking widget.

Lurch
14 minutes ago, duluthUPLAND said:

The "widget" that connects with the Alpha and tracks the dog on the Garmin watches should be the same on the Instinct and the Fenix. I bought my Fenix before the Instinct had come out.

I think the instinct is a great option and was much needed as far as price point goes. A couple of friends have it and are very pleased with it. I'm equally as pleased with the Fenix but had the Instinct been out at that time, I probably would have wound up with that.

I'm in the same boat - was about a month old when the announcement came out. While I use mine (fenix3) mainly for the dog tracking, it's nice to have the other options with it while I'm using it.

however, I'd REALLY like for some smart teenager to come up with an Apple Watch version (not likely, I know, but I can wish).