RookieEP

Top favorite gear you’ve own/tested

RookieEP

As my bird season is finished and ended with a thud.  Thought it would be fun to start a favorite gear thread.  I admit I’m a gear hound not the more is better type but truly good gear that is very dependable and lasts for a longgg time. Doesn’t have to be $$$.  You can list one thing or more

For hunting and fishing I really like my merino wool buff made by Buff.  Buff is mainly known for sun protection. I like their sun protection stuff when fishing in the tropics.  But the wool buff is outstanding- layer up thick around your neck for when cold. Or loosen it for warmer days.  If the wind is really biting can double it and pull up the back of your neck and ears for extra warmth when you forget to wear a warmer hat. Cover the nose and cheeks when the wind is ripping head on. And if its cold early then warms up simply take it off and stuff in a pocket super light and takes up so little room. Very versatile.  Ive had mine for years thought I lost it and quickly bought another now I have spare as it was stuffed in a different pocket ...

More to come

quailguy

My favorite non metal and wood piece of gear is my custom made in the USA Danner boots. Fit perfectly, waterproof (up to walking in the many new creeks we enjoy from all the rain) airbob soles for no slip walking in all the mud , good ankle support. Made to last, my back up pair are 1984 Danner

boots that leak slightly on the left boot. 

I also am lucky enough to have a Barbour waterproof sweater that is just about wind proof and very warm. 

Jim Vander

Outside of guns:

Wingworks Vest

Les Chameau boots

Geir Kangaroo gloves

Alpha 100 

Knotsmith Lanyard

Gene Ingram Bird and Trout knife

oak stob

I like the Hertzko mat splitter tho the Safari splitter is no slouch.

Brad Eden

Generally speaking:

Leatherman Wave

Peet Boot Dryer

Jet Sled (for dragging out deer when you get old)

Gerber Poultry Shears (processing game-birds)

Cuddeback IR trail cameras 

Makita Battery Operated Power Tools

Noco Genius Boost GB40 jump starter

Kubota BX2380 Sub Compact tractor with FEL

Thunder Bay

-  Weber grills

-  Carhartt shirts/zip up sweatshirt 

-  Abel fly reels

-  Michelin LTX tires

-  Honda Pioneer UTV

-  Husqvarna XP chainsaws

-  Saucony running shoes

-  Simms waders

-  Fishpond luggage

-  Yeti coolers/cups 🙂

john mcg

I enjoy good quality gear and tools that last...always have.

Too many to list.

Related to dogs and the uplands for simplistic quality and function:

My old style Filson Shelter cloth strap vest

Bore snakes

Pup GPS

LL Bean Upland Pants

Danner Foothill 8's

Kromer

RuffChaser

B&P or Winchester AA Ammo

Sportdog TEK 2.0

Mudriver Dog Bag

Redwing/Irish Setter Boots

Boker Bird knife with gut hook (I have 2 because I like them A LOT)

Le Chameau boots ( I have had the same pair for nearly 13 years. I pretty much wear them exclusively in Spring WC banding season and in very wet falls until the ground freezes)

I have yet to find a vest a really like. I don't wear chaps so field pants with a nylon face work. i'm not super picky about the brand. I'm hard on everything so nothing really holds up. I just assume I'll have to get a new pair every few years. I generally wear a baseball hat backwards. One I get for free somewhere. Other than that I love the 2016 GMC Sierra pickup I bought last fall. I made a Storage Drawer for it and put some kennels on top. I think I may change it around this fall and I have some ideas on that but nothing I'm ready to share yet.

Dongotto

Fred G Asbell wool pullovers with over sized hoods

Duluth shirt Jacs

Carhartt bibs in various styles

AG.Russel Woodswalker knife in leather back pocket sheath.

Buck 110

Mora high q carbon steel knife

Cabelas lite felt hat

Clarks Wallabee shoes

Case Medium Stockman

Kre

Eddie Bauer Superior Down Jacket

I just picked one of these up on sale for $160.  This is the best coat I've ever had for really cold weather.  I've been wearing it ice fishing.  There's no need for layers with this coat...just throw it on and you're going to be toasty warm.  It seems to be a quality product.

LL Bean Storm Chaser boots w/ Arctic Grip soles.

People at work have been slipping and falling in the parking lot.  So, it was mandate we wear cleats or get boots w/ Vibram Arctic grip soles.  Cleats are just a pain, so I used my show allowance for the LL Bean Storm Chasers.  Super comfortable and warm!  It's not a super-cold weather boot, but it's great if you do even minimal walking.  It also seems to be a quality product.  About $125 bucks w/ a 25% off coupon.

atticus

2002 Toyota Tundra--335,000 miles when I traded it in last summer.  Other than my home, the best thing I've ever bought. 

Mike da Carpenter

Redwing boots since 1998

2 buckle overshoes for the above during winter

PEET boot dryer

marino socks 

Carhartt uninsulated bibs 

Chevy trucks

Rough Tuff kennels

Garmjn Alpha

leatherman Rev

Lacrosse Aerohead boots

Sitka Jetstream jacket and beanie

Tall Tines Longbow

E2 Catch Can for my truck

NW River Mac

Both my LL Bean and Johnson wool jackets and a Bean jack-shirt. $7.00 suede gloves from Reny's.  They are so cheap I never loose them. 

Curt

The only thing that comes to mind right now is my Quilomene San Carlos vest.  Excellent product!

C.J.L.

Kuhl pants, sweaters and coats. I live in them.

Ruffn'Tuff dog beds.  Dogs can't destroy them and the covers can be removed and washed.

4"&6"Rapala fillet knives.  Use them all the time in the kitchen and they come with when I travel. Nothing better for filleting a fish or a bird beast.