tut

2019 Toyota RAV test drive

tut

Daughter has been looking for a replacement for her 2007 Rav for some time (posted on it several months ago).  Her Rav is starting to use a bit of oil and at 157K and 12 years old she decided it was time.  She had test driven a Subaru Forrester last summer, a 2018 Rav, as well as a 2018 Mazda CX-5.  At that time she decided she would wait for the newly designed RAV to arrive before she pulled the trigger because she thought it looked super on the outside and she does like Toyota's a lot.  

Yesterday we test drove the 2019 RAV Adventure model (top of the line) with a sticker price of about $38,000.   First impressions were pretty good but with some flaws that prevented her from pulling the trigger.  Biggest flaw was the engine noise that can only be described as being amazingly loud.  Much louder then the 2018 RAV and actually much louder then her current 2007 RAV.  We can only surmise that they need to add some serious sound dampening between the engine compartment and the passenger cab.  Interior cabin layout was fine, but everything had sort of a cockpit feel to it where you felt as if the vehicle was wrapped around you.  She said she felt cramped.  Seat position was really high and I think anyone over about 6 foot 2" or so might have to be careful about bumping their heads getting in or out of the vehicle if they weren't careful.   At 5 foot 2", she felt is was great and she could see out really well.  Engine itself besides the loudness was probably a bit underpowered.  The vehicle handled fine, with super positive steering and the typical Toyota tightness.

Last thing we noticed was a lot of plastic in the interior and she had been hoping the build quality itself would be better as compared to last years model.   She decided to pass on the Toyota and will go back and test drive the Mazda again, which has a heads up display with blind spot monitoring which she felt was a great safety factor when driving in really heavy rush hour traffic (which she does every day).  The top of the line 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT also cost about $4,000 less then the Toyota and they have a pretty nice rebate on them as well through this month.  In her mind the Mazda had a much more refined drive then the new RAV.

FWIW, the Toyota dealership was absolutely slammed yesterday.  They are selling a ton of these new RAV's and a ton of the Tacoma pick up trucks.  Also, the salesman told me that no one wants to buy the base model of anything.   They had several LE Rav's for sell and those weren't moving.  What was moving was the XLE models, the Limited and Adventure models.  Ditto for the Tacoma.  Folks wanted the bells and whistles.

PS.  If I had to guess, I think she will pull the trigger this week on the Mazda.   My choice would have been the Honda CRV, but she had troubles seeing out of it, so its a non-starter.

Brad Eden

Has she considered looking at the Nissan Rogue? They have some nice new models for 2018-2019. My wife is into the verge of trading her older Rogue in for a new one, but I'm gonna have her test drive a Subaru Forester too. (She had a Toyota RAV4 and CRV at one point, and liked both OK, but never fully embraced either.)

Dogwood

I gather she didn't care for the Forrester?  FWIW Subies always score very high on crash test scores.

Have ridden as a passenger in a few Mazda's and was quite impressed by the interior fit/finish/layouts.  Quiet. Refined.  Especially for the price.

Have not driven in a newer Nissan but I see them around on occasion; they are nice looking fwiw.

Funny I've test driven more than a few newer/used Tundra's and Sequoia's.  I try to like them given they're rightly high reliability marks but man they just seem big, clunky, cold, and plasticky. And ugly.  But, to paraphrase Forrest G, ugly is as ugly does so I guess Toyota's are gorgeous.

tut
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Has she considered looking at the Nissan Rogue? They have some nice new models for 2018-2019. My wife is into the verge of trading her older Rogue in for a new one, but I'm gonna have her test drive a Subaru Forester too. (She had a Toyota RAV4 at one point, and liked it OK, but never fully embraced it.)

She sat in one only.  Found the rear window too difficult for her to see out of.  Also, she did the review thing on Consumer Reports and they take a big hit for reliability and the engine noise again.  FWIW, my former next door neighbor owns an automotive shop (I can walk to it from my house) and is a ASE certified mechanic and he is not a fan of recent Nissan vehicles (used to swear by them).  He actually is going to buy my daughters 2007 RAV once she gets her new vehicle.  PS.  He really dislikes Volkswagen vehicles and fact I'd say it borders on hate. :) 

tut
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

I gather she didn't care for the Forrester?  FWIW Subies always score very high on crash test scores.

Have ridden as a passenger in a few Mazda's and was quite impressed by the interior fit/finish/layouts.  Quiet. Refined.  Especially for the price.

Have not driven in a newer Nissan but I see them around on occasion; they are nice looking fwiw.

Funny I've test driven more than a few newer/used Tundra's and Sequoia's.  I try to like them given they're rightly high reliability marks but man they just seem big, clunky, cold, and plasticky. And ugly.  But, to paraphrase Forrest G, ugly is as ugly does so I guess Toyota's are gorgeous.

She liked the Forrester.  Found the styling to be a bit boring and the interior to be a bit plain.  She did think it was well laid out.   She probably would have liked the 6 cylinder engine more, but didn't want to pay the extra for it.  The 4 cylinder didn't have enough zoom zoom for her. 

snapt

We test drove the 18' CRV and Rav4's side by side, CRV was leaps and bounds ahead. 19' came out right after we pulled the trigger on the CRV, interesting to see your feedback n it and I think we made the right call with the CRV.

terrym

CRV, RAV4, Forester, CX5, Rogue are all very good choices. Comes down to personal preference not much more. My wife drives a CRV AWD touring, very nice car. It’s now 5 years old and has only needed a battery last week. Although the 2019 CRV seems to get better ratings in the car magazine tests. If she orders one with power seats she can likely find the perfect setup for visibility. 

blanked

Timely topic.  I love my 2014 rav 4 but I need an AWD in the near future.  All my research shows Subaru leaps and bounds the leader in AWD.   Does rav 4 AWD compete with Forrestor AWD at all on snow and ice?

can  a forestor get 300,000 miles like a rav 4?

snapt
41 minutes ago, blanked said:

Timely topic.  I love my 2014 rav 4 but I need an AWD in the near future.  All my research shows Subaru leaps and bounds the leader in AWD.   Does rav 4 AWD compete with Forrestor AWD at all on snow and ice?

I drive a 16 Outback, with snow tires. Live at 6750 in the Tetons, it snows, a lot. The symmetrical AWD in the Subi is far superior to the 80/20 or 70/30 split in the Rav/CRV. Not to say the CRV or Rav aren't good snow cars but Subaru Symmetrical AWD, Audi 4motion etc that split 50/50 are noticeably better. That said good tires are more important than the AWD IMO.  My wife's CRV with snow tires does as well as the Outback, comparing both with all seasons the Outback grips much better.

Unfortunately if you're driving someplace that salts the roads no car is making it to 300K.

tut
7 hours ago, blanked said:

When I did the research on the new RAV's I found out the Adventure and Limited models had an upgrade 4wheel drive system different then the other models.   FWIW, they said that newer system in those two models was far superior to the other regular RAV4 AWD system.  They call it the Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive (TV-AWD) with Rear Driveline Disconnect.  Whatever that means.

Bede
14 hours ago, tut said:

Daughter has been looking for a replacement for her 2007 Rav for some time (posted on it several months ago).  Her Rav is starting to use a bit of oil and at 157K and 12 years old she decided it was time.  She had test driven a Subaru Forrester last summer, a 2018 Rav, as well as a 2018 Mazda CX-5.  At that time she decided she would wait for the newly designed RAV to arrive before she pulled the trigger because she thought it looked super on the outside and she does like Toyota's a lot.  

Yesterday we test drove the 2019 RAV Adventure model (top of the line) with a sticker price of about $38,000.   First impressions were pretty good but with some flaws that prevented her from pulling the trigger.  Biggest flaw was the engine noise that can only be described as being amazingly loud.  Much louder then the 2018 RAV and actually much louder then her current 2007 RAV.  We can only surmise that they need to add some serious sound dampening between the engine compartment and the passenger cab.  Interior cabin layout was fine, but everything had sort of a cockpit feel to it where you felt as if the vehicle was wrapped around you.  She said she felt cramped.  Seat position was really high and I think anyone over about 6 foot 2" or so might have to be careful about bumping their heads getting in or out of the vehicle if they weren't careful.   At 5 foot 2", she felt is was great and she could see out really well.  Engine itself besides the loudness was probably a bit underpowered.  The vehicle handled fine, with super positive steering and the typical Toyota tightness.

Last thing we noticed was a lot of plastic in the interior and she had been hoping the build quality itself would be better as compared to last years model.   She decided to pass on the Toyota and will go back and test drive the Mazda again, which has a heads up display with blind spot monitoring which she felt was a great safety factor when driving in really heavy rush hour traffic (which she does every day).  The top of the line 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT also cost about $4,000 less then the Toyota and they have a pretty nice rebate on them as well through this month.  In her mind the Mazda had a much more refined drive then the new RAV.

FWIW, the Toyota dealership was absolutely slammed yesterday.  They are selling a ton of these new RAV's and a ton of the Tacoma pick up trucks.  Also, the salesman told me that no one wants to buy the base model of anything.   They had several LE Rav's for sell and those weren't moving.  What was moving was the XLE models, the Limited and Adventure models.  Ditto for the Tacoma.  Folks wanted the bells and whistles.

PS.  If I had to guess, I think she will pull the trigger this week on the Mazda.   My choice would have been the Honda CRV, but she had troubles seeing out of it, so its a non-starter.

I extensively researched every car in this segment in 2017, and test drove most of them, of course prior to the current Rav4. While I opted for the Forester because it was the best blend of capability and safety features and interior volume, the Mazda CX5 drove better than them all, and it wasn't close. That car is lightyears ahead of the segment in driving dynamics. 

stephen brown

How was the RAV4 performance. I see the 2.5lt engine produces 200hp and drives a new 8 speed transmission.

In 2017 I tested a number of cars including the Murano, Rogue, RAV4, Equinox. Screw them. Bought a 4Runner. LOL

tut
6 minutes ago, stephen brown said:

How was the RAV4 performance. I see the 2.5lt engine produces 200hp and drives a new 8 speed transmission.

In 2017 I tested a number of cars including the Murano, Rogue, RAV4, Equinox. Screw them. Bought a 4Runner. LOL

I thought it needed more power.  When you stepped on it, it didn't seem like it did much more then rev louder.  Not sure the low end torgue is on it.   Consumer reports is testing it right now.  Be interesting to see what the outcome is. 

Jacksdad

Toyota really is dropping the bar on interior quality standards.  Some of the pleather stuff they're using now is comically bad. 

In regards to needing more power much of the issue with new cars is the newer 'smart' transmissions that put gas savings above all else.  The current model Tacoma is well known to be hobbled by an awful transmission.  I found the same when we test drove Subies several years ago. 

stephen brown

That's a shame. Wife's 2012 RAV4 is a rocket. Last of the V6 RAV4s.