tut

2019 Toyota RAV test drive

Jacksdad

if you step up to the Pilot you get a very strong V6 from Honda.  Entirely different car vs the CRV.  Bigger though. 

it too does suffer from the godawful shifting logic so many new cars have these days. 

bkelble

So, I'm a diehard Subaru fan. I think one of the weak points of the new forester is the cvt transmission.  I dont trust them to last, though I'm sure some do. I check around every now and again for a 2011 or newer forester in manual. One day I will fall to temptation and replace my old warhorse 2000 model.

In 2011 they went to a timing chain. I believe 2013 was the last year of the 4 speed automatic transmission.  I still think subi has the best awd,  but the others have caught up a bunch. And I dont like the way the cvt interacts with the awd. It will cut power and you just sit there when you lose traction... but i suppose you dont explode the tyranny that way. subi has the best ground clearance of the group.

If I wanted 300k miles out of it, I would get a manual version. Outside that,  Toyota has been making the cvt the longest and probably has the best chance of getting there. Hondas weak point is their auto transmission,  though many have made it over 300k. Not sure how many Honda cvts are at 300k.

I'm afraid with all the new tech in cars, they will be a basket case as they age. Cvt transmissions cost a fortune to replace, are touch screens going to work in 10 years? Engines are nearly impossible to rebuild now...

Flush
14 minutes ago, bkelble said:

If I wanted 300k miles out of it, I would get a manual version. Outside that,  Toyota has been making the cvt the longest and probably has the best chance of getting there. Hondas weak point is their auto transmission,  though many have made it over 300k. Not sure how many Honda cvts are at 300k.

I'm also not a big fan of CVTs.

Just a point of note, only hybrid RAV4s use a CVT.

The regular Rav4s (not-hybrid), past and present, use conventional style auto trans. The 2019 has been updated to an 8spd vs the 6spd in the prior generation.

River19
On 1/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, Flush said:

I'm also not a big fan of CVTs.

Just a point of note, only hybrid RAV4s use a CVT.

The regular Rav4s (not-hybrid), past and present, use conventional style auto trans. The 2019 has been updated to an 8spd vs the 6spd in the prior generation.

And that 6sp in the 2013-2018s is a decent unit, I had 2 Ravs of that era and thought the trans was spot on.  If you never notice it, it is doing well by you......and I never really needed to think about it or curse it....

tut

Updating this thread, my daughter purchased a Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring.  The amount of safety built into this car is flat out amazing.  She loves the heads up display.   Can see just about everything going on all around the vehicle, plus adaptive cruise control, blind side warnings, etc.   She did not get the Turbo model.  Plenty of Zoom Zoom in this one for her.  

River19
13 minutes ago, tut said:

Updating this thread, my daughter purchased a Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring.  The amount of safety built into this car is flat out amazing.  She loves the heads up display.   Can see just about everything going on all around the vehicle, plus adaptive cruise control, blind side warnings, etc.   She did not get the Turbo model.  Plenty of Zoom Zoom in this one for her.  

The newest CX-5 is no longer the sleeper of the group, it is at the top of my list if I need to go the smaller SUV route if we move and my commute is longer.

tut
14 minutes ago, River19 said:

The newest CX-5 is no longer the sleeper of the group, it is at the top of my list if I need to go the smaller SUV route if we move and my commute is longer.

The dealership told me they are selling about 65 Mazda's per month in the various models.  Said this time last year it was in the mid 40's.  They also sell Volvo and VWs, but Mazda's are outselling both of the other ones combined. 

UplandHntr

And you believe a car dealer salesman? They tell you whats going to make you feel better. If you wouldve been looking at the Volvo it wouldve been the Volvo speech. 

Period

SODAKer

Just took a ride in my friends Subaru Crosstek. Nice sporty ride.

He tells me very good in snow. Has 9" clearance. 

DennisMcFeely

A couple weeks ago I bought a 2019 Highlander XLE for $38k out the door.  My 2013 Outback was great for the first few years but then I had lots of electrical problems.I wanted a little more power and to sit a little higher off the road.  I test drove a Subaru Ascent and others but just liked the track record of the Highlander reliability.

fwiw I find the interior quality of the Toyota to be pretty nice.

tut
40 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

And you believe a car dealer salesman? They tell you whats going to make you feel better. If you wouldve been looking at the Volvo it wouldve been the Volvo speech. 

Period

Probably true.  Was talking to the Sales manager for the entire dealership, not the Mazda salesman. 

River19
28 minutes ago, tut said:

Probably true.  Was talking to the Sales manager for the entire dealership, not the Mazda salesman. 

But.......given the fact the CX-5 seems to be ranked at the top of the heap even beating the CRV and RAV in most comparisons adds some validity to what they were saying even given their penchant for making crap up to hear themselves talk.