Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Trolling motors and batteries, recommendations?

MAArcher

I might be able to pick up a brand new Motorguid 80lb salt water for a good price.  It would go n a 19 foot aluminum.  I heard the Minn Kota Riptide's are better but I haven't seen any local winter deals.  Either way, what's the best battery for a trolling motor?  Optima's the best?  

MUSTANGER7

an 80# is going to take at least two batteries quite possibly three so the the weight of the batteries will for sure change the  running, depth it will run at, etc. I've had three flats boats here in Florida and have never needed anything  bigger that a one battery motor for flats type fishing, could run it all day. I had a sun powered battery charger that I used when I would go camping in the Everglades, it keep one 12 volt charged, probably would not keep two or three batteries going if that would matter to you. Really depends on where you'll be using it, but a big motor and its batteries will affect your boats handling and running. I used the kind of battery that was sealed that way I could turn it on its side.

Zkight89

In my experience ( mostly bass boats), Minn Kota makes a much better trolling motor than Motor Guide. In terms of both power and durability. I have a 55lb thrust Edge on my 16' Aluminum boat and a 74lb Edge on my 19' Stratos. Other than a few foot control issues on the 74lb I've been happy with both.  

Chukarman

I have a MinnKota Riptide 60on my Parker. Requires dual batteries and charges off the Yamaha motor. If buying a TM, get the iPilot option.

P4120092.jpg

Millriver

I'm a fan of Interstate batteries. Have a MinnKota power drive on our Lund, haven't had any problems with it. If you don't have one already, install an onboard battery charger. It makes life much simpler

shoot-straight

80# is certainly a 24 volt system. 

I have a 100# on my Jones brothers. It's a 36v motor.