floodcity

Idaho kokanee

floodcity

Are there any streams in Idaho that have spawning kokanee around the 1st week of October? I have never fished for them and would like to give them a try during my annual upland trip.

fishvik

Most kokanee spawning takes place in late August and September in Idaho. But you may find some still in early October in Lime Cr (Trib that flows into Anderson Ranch Resv. southwest Idaho), Big Elk Cr. (Trib to Palisade Resv. southeast Idaho) and tributaries to the NF of the Clearwater above Dworshak Resv. in northern Idaho.

floodcity
54 minutes ago, fishvik said:

Most kokanee spawning takes place in late August and September in Idaho. But you may find some still in early October in Lime Cr (Trib that flows into Anderson Ranch Resv. southwest Idaho), Big Elk Cr. (Trib to Palisade Resv. southeast Idaho) and tributaries to the NF of the Clearwater above Dworshak Resv. in northern Idaho.

Thanks. I typically arrive the last week of Sept through the 1st week of Oct. Sounds like that's too late. May have to try other fishing options as it's frequently too hot to run the dogs all day.

Big Pine

I’ve caught some in mid-September in the NF Clearwater basin. There were lots and lots of fish visible in the river, but it was incredibly hard to get them to eat. I caught a few on spinners, but I gave up on it pretty quickly. Much, much more enjoyable to fish cutthroats with big October caddis patterns.

September in those mountains is like going to heaven. Grouse in the morning, cutthroats on dry flies in the afternoon, and elk bugling up in the hills at night while you sip whiskey by the campfire. 

F8FC35A7-01AC-4E00-A559-03A101F03D31.jpeg

BCF5A916-1259-4560-AC62-FAAFF10F4049.jpeg

floodcity

Great pictures. Thanks.

fishvik
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Big Pine said:

September in those mountains is like going to heaven. Grouse in the morning, cutthroats on dry flies in the afternoon, and elk bugling up in the hills at night while you sip whiskey by the campfire. 

Big Pine I went to school in N. Idaho and spent 3.5 years of my fed career on the NF of Clearwater. What you said is absolutely the truth.

idcut

The blueback in CDA lake are caught into Oct/early Nov. Spawn is into full swing mid to late November into December. A ton of eagles show up to feed on the spawning bluebacks in November/December, peaking in mid to late December.

I've fished blueback in Dworshak a bunch in the spring/early summer but never in the fall. Used to catch good numbers of steelhead in the NF of the Clearwater, but Dworshak Dam killed the run up the North Fork.

floodcity

I hunt the southeastern and south central regions so it looks like I will miss the runs. Thanks for all the input/help.