REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

Police F150 - built in dog house

erik meade

Saw a police F150 yesterday - looked them up online and saw this picture.

I always heard that dog "crates" were supposed to be low so the dog had to lay down -  for safety...  (my dogs don't have a crate in my Miata - I just take the passenger seat out... so not judging...)

qpjuzxx7kcfv5r17evuh.jpg

dukxdog

I like it!

Kemo Sabe

Judging by where the side windows are, they probably what the dog to be seeing what’s going on and happening, and be upright and ready to rock ‘n roll when the door is opened. Just a guess.....but what a cool set-up that is!

UplandHntr

Love it! If I recall correctly,  cops carry a remote to pop the door open from a distance.  Its a bad guys worth nitemare seeing one of those dogs closing fast

mccuha

Most criminals dont want anything to do with police dogs.  Just the sight of them scares the crap out of them

Lurch

I just heard somehwere (I'm getting old, cant remember where) that if they're sideways like that, they're better off, cuz in an acccident the force would be absorbed by the dogs body, whereas if if's front/back oriented, it would all be in the animal's spine, so maybe wiht the full front/back coverage in that unit they don't need to be laying down to absorb the impact?

either way, that's a pretty cool setup. Would be good for  mother-in-laws are well, if there was a "Get Smart"-style Cone of Silence as well

Tim Frazier
18 hours ago, Lurch said:

I just heard somehwere (I'm getting old, cant remember where) that if they're sideways like that, they're better off, cuz in an acccident the force would be absorbed by the dogs body, whereas if if's front/back oriented, it would all be in the animal's spine, so maybe wiht the full front/back coverage in that unit they don't need to be laying down to absorb the impact?

either way, that's a pretty cool setup. Would be good for  mother-in-laws are well, if there was a "Get Smart"-style Cone of Silence as well

That's how humans tear the aortic arch in T-bone accidents but I suppose since a dog isn't upright it's the best of two evils.

mccuha

I'm wondering about the size. If in a pinch you could put somebody in that kennel area and let the dog ride shotgun or just sit back there with the criminal.  Probably wouldn't have a single problem out of him all the way to jail.

Bloodhound

I didn't want my dogs having to ride the entire 10 hour shift in a laid down position.  I had a Chevy S10 extended cab with the topper on the back with air/heat and auto door for the shepherd.  The bloodhound's side was a standard locking door handle.  I like the new F150 better than the set up I had.

Very cool!

erik meade

You had a bloodhound and a shepherd working at the same time?

max2

If you think about the Blazers & such the dog is just in a big cage in the back. So they could go rock'n around should they have a wreck. 

I will say this on another note. I have always wondered why company's like weather-tech  or ruff-tuff didn't make tight fitting kennel for extra-cab trucks. I think there could be a market for it.

Lurch
56 minutes ago, max2 said:

I will say this on another note. I have always wondered why company's like weather-tech  or ruff-tuff didn't make tight fitting kennel for extra-cab trucks. I think there could be a market for it.

I think one company is coming out with shorter-length ones that you can put two end-to-end across the back seat area of a truck. Not sure if they're for extra-cab, or just crewcab. Supposed to be shown at PheasantFest, from what I've heard.

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, UplandHntr said:

Love it! If I recall correctly,  cops carry a remote to pop the door open from a distance.  Its a bad guys worth nitemare seeing one of those dogs closing fast

I think you are correct.  If you look on the bottom right of the door, there is an arm that I bet is mechanically actuated. 

jeff88
On 2/10/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lurch said:

"Get Smart"-style Cone of Silence

One of the great inventions of all time.  I still crack up about how it never once worked - a metaphor for the high tech age if ever there was one.

erik meade
11 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I think you are correct.  If you look on the bottom right of the door, there is an arm that I bet is mechanically actuated. 

Searching online, it appears that they will only sell the door poppers to police...