Sign in to follow this  
Illini

Grand Cherokee or Highlander

Illini

I'm looking for a little input.  Surprisingly, I have the choice between driving a company owned Grand Cherokee Limited 4wd or a Toyota Highlander XLE AWD.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them?  Most of my hunting is in the Midwest and I am not going real deep off road.  I'm usually with two dogs chasing phez or quail.  The Highlander seems to have more cargo space; but less clearance...and I don't know anyone who uses it for reasons other than people hauling...

Any input would get great.

Thanks,

Randy

Korthaar

Your company allows you to use a company vehicle for non work related driving?  Do they insure you in their vehicle?  I have a company vehicle, but use it strictly for work, as i would fear any liability or repercussions if something happened.

That being said, I would want the vehicle that I'm most comfortable driving. The higher clearance may spare losing/damaging the plastic engine shields thes vehicles have now.

WPG Gizmo

My choice is to go with the Jeep I have two coworkers each has one of the vehicles your looking at the Jeep is the much nicer vehicle of the 2 with better ground clearance. 

GANGGREEN

Don't have any personal experience with either of the specific vehicles that you've mentioned, but I've had Jeeps in the past for work and didn't really care for them.  Typically the stripped down Cherokee, so not exactly what you're asking.  They went anywhere I could have asked them to go (like little mountain goats), but from a reliability and comfort standpoint, I wasn't a huge fan.  

I've also not owned or driven a Highlander, although I do know several folks who have them and love them.  I do currently drive a Toyota Tacoma and my wife's car is a Toyota Avalon and I'd give either one of those vehicles 5 stars (on a scale of one to five).  I also previously had a Toyota 4-Runner (2006 model) and it was the very best vehicle that I've ever owned.  The Avalon's fairly new and may one day challenge the 4-Runner for that claim, but I loved my 4-Runner and frequently regret having traded it (I traded it on my current 2014 Tacoma, which I also like very well but not as much as the 4-Runner).

tmoneysju

Although I have a soft spot in my heart for the Jeep brand, and having a lot of experience with them (not this model) in a prior life, I vote Highlander hands down. We own a 2015 and it's been a great vehicle, and I don't mind driving it one bit. Although I don't have specific experience with thew new Cherokees, my current impression of the newer Jeeps is that they are overpriced, you're paying for an 'idea of a lifestyle', and their reliability is not where Toyota's is. This is one man's impression/opinion which is admittedly not coming from a large sample size of experience, but I feel like I hear people I know that own Jeep, consistently grouching about minor this or that things that are always cropping up. They seem to own them because they love Jeeps. Hear nothing but 'love' from Toyota owners.

Good luck.

blanked

Since your company is footing the bill the grand Cherokee.  Hands down.  That 6.4 is a rocket.  It’s got the Hellcat .   Even the 5.7 way more performance than a highlander.   

My my wife is pushing for the grand Cherokee.  There are 450 reviews on it on the KBB web site for best selling SUV.  Every one of those reviews gives the Jeep an excellent review.  Haven’t found a bad one yet.  These are for models the last 3 years so far that I have read

GANGGREEN
46 minutes ago, tmoneysju said:

Although I have a soft spot in my heart for the Jeep brand, and having a lot of experience with them (not this model) in a prior life, I vote Highlander hands down. We own a 2015 and it's been a great vehicle, and I don't mind driving it one bit. Although I don't have specific experience with thew new Cherokees, my current impression of the newer Jeeps is that they are overpriced, you're paying for an 'idea of a lifestyle', and their reliability is not where Toyota's is. This is one man's impression/opinion which is admittedly not coming from a large sample size of experience, but I feel like I hear people I know that own Jeep, consistently grouching about minor this or that things that are always cropping up. They seem to own them because they love Jeeps. Hear nothing but 'love' from Toyota owners.

Good luck.

I have a friend who has a Grand Cherokee, it's not a new one, maybe a 2010 model or something.  He bitches about that thing being broken down CONSTANTLY and he's put thousands upon thousands of dollars into it and I'm not exaggerating even a tiny bit.  At the same time, on the right day if you ask him about it, he'll say that he knows he should replace it and get another one (another Grand Cherokee that is).  Personally I think that sort of brand loyalty is stupid, given the problems he's had with the present car, but maybe it's such a great car when it's actually working that it earns the loyalty.  I don't know, but I agree with you, from my experience and anecdotal evidence from other owners of Grand Cherokees and Highlanders, it would be the Toyota for me as well.

Dogwood

The Incredible Dr. Pol drives beater Grand Cherokees.  Just a heads up.

bullseyebill

My 2011 3.7 GC (first year of the newest gen.) has over 90,000 trouble free  miles.

Besides maintenance, only $ 200.00 out of pocket repairs.

Has served Cindy and I well for multiple week long trips out west, 2 dogs, guns, gear, ammo and cases of beer.

We don't use crates for the dogs and I did build a riser that gives a little more storage in the back.

She's pretty full, but we've managed, and got around  20 mpg doing it.

BlacknTan

I've never owned a Jeep product or a Highlander, but judging by the comments I get from friends who own Jeeps, I never will...

I can only judge the Highlander from my experience with my '15 4Runner... without question, the best, tightest, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Four years, and not one, not even the smallest thing has gone wrong with it! Very impressive!

mccuha

My wife has a highlander and loves it.  I drive it sometimes when we go on trips.  It handles great and has a good bit of power.  If you’re using it for off road us some.  I don’t know. I would think it’d be fine.  On the road it’s fine.  It has a decent amount of room   Compared to the Jeep I don’t know. Never been in one.  

terrym

If your company deal is like mine where all expenses like gas, maintenance, insurance etc are covered I would definitely go with the Grand Cherokee. Go test drive one with the 5.7, you’ll have a hard time passing it up. The Toyota may be more reliable and definitely have a higher resale but that’s not on your dime. People who have never owned Dodge trucks rant that they are ticking bombs. There wouldn’t be that many on the road if they were. Highlander is a beautiful car but if you tow anything or have to Offroad it the Jeep is the one. 

River19

Given your unique situation, what will you drive when the Jeep is in the shop?

80% serious question and 20% tongue in cheek.

Will your company provide you with something else equally capable when the Jeep is down for the count?

Jacksdad

If the company is going to own it and pay to maintain it when the inevitable electrical gremlins appear I'd go with the fiat err Jeep. 

the tech and materials in current Toyotas are awful IMHO.  they will almost certainly be more reliable but again if someone else is writing the checks its JGC all the way. 

apachecadillac

I'd go with the Jeep over the Toyota.  If it's the Company vehicle, you're getting a free look, in effect, at the reliability issues.  Well, you have live with any problems, but it's not your nickel, and eventually it goes down the road if it's too much hassle.  If it turns out you've gotten a good one, presumably you can buy it confidently when it comes off lease, and you'll have the best kind of second hand vehicle, since you'll know everything about how the previous owner used it, which is pretty unusual in a fleet vehicle.