Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Bay

Bootfoot GoreTex Waders - Don’t Know Why I Took So Long

Thunder Bay

Received my first pair of bootfoot goretex waders today for an upcoming trip.  After trying these on a few times, don’t know why I waited so long to get these.

I’ve had the stockingfoot waders for years and was always an adventure putting them on and then taking them off.  Usually, involved some swearing and potential tripping as well as taking an extraordinarily long time.

If you have bad knees and getting up in age, do yourself a favor and get a pair.  So much easier to deal with...

E86A8C11-D886-4533-B021-CE6C1C1B398B.jpeg

delahunter834

What brand do you recommend ?

FlyChamps

I've had several low priced brands that were not worth having.

Some time back I bought a pair of Simms G-3 stocking foot waders - expensive but worth every penny.  If I have to replace mine I'll buy Simms again without hesitation.

Thunder Bay

I like Simms (I also have the G3 stockingfoot waders but the neoprene sock is very tight on my feet).  I’ve previously had Orvis, Red Ball, Cabelas neoprenes, etc.  They all have worked pretty well over their first year or two and then I start having some issues (pinhole leaks, poor fit, sweating, etc.) with them.

The picture that I attached above is my new Simms G3 bootfoot waders, I will use them extensively over the next couple of weeks.  They are expensive but I’m ready for simplicity vs. fighting with them.

MSchafer

I had a pair of Chota's that almost killed me and nearly ruined that company, I'm a walking Simms add these days I'll try them on my nest pro form.

Grifish

I have a pair of Orvis bootfoots that are starting to leak. Time to repair and start looking for a back up.

gaberdeen

I've been coveting a pair of Simms G3's since last fall. Price has kept me from pulling the trigger so far. Next payday I'll have enough money stashed to buy them if I want. Now I just need to convince myself I need them!

sharptail grouse

I have a pair of Simms boot foots. Ridiculously expensive - I waited until they changed the design a bit and bought a remaindered pair of old design boots. That said they are the most comfortable, well fitting and tough waders I have owned and I have been buying boot foot Gore-tex waders for about 20 years or so. They held up well this duck season and nothing is as hard on waders as that. I have no regrets, but it still burns me that the wader companies offer so few choices in boot foots - they are either junk or priced thru the roof. My theory is that they can make a lot more $$$ by selling us stocking foot waders and boots separately.  Its one thing to lay out $6-700 for a rod that has a life time warranty and will last you the rest of your life. Its another to spend the same $$ on a pair of boots that has a one year warranty and by design and definition will wear out in a few years. It reminds me of buying tires.

Dogwood

Felt or vibram soles and why?

sharptail grouse

Vibram with studs for me. Felt is worthless for duck hunting in cold snowy weather and Vibram is good enough for the kind of streams I fish in. 

Thunder Bay

I like vibrams as well.  I think they are more versatile (you can stud, put on korkers - felts, winter steelheading, hiking, etc.).

Winter steelheading in felt can turn both feet into ice blocks... I’ve personally experienced this.

Felt is superior for rocky streams if that’s your primary fishing.

NW River Mac

I use the Orvis Pro Guide model and have no issues with them.  I'm short legged so the fit with short waders is ok in the legs but the tops come up to my nose.  Regardless, I know a guide on the Salmon river who guides all season 6 days a week.  He now buys FrogToggs and gets a new pair each year whether the old ones leak or not.  I rarely ever heatr a complaint about Orvis waders but people rave about Simms.

Okhotnik
4 hours ago, Thunder Bay said:

I like vibrams as well.  I think they are more versatile (you can stud, put on korkers - felts, winter steelheading, hiking, etc.).

Winter steelheading in felt can turn both feet into ice blocks... I’ve personally experienced this.

Felt is superior for rocky streams if that’s your primary fishing.

I made the mistake once hiking in to winter steelhead fish with felt soled boots in the snow. After a 1/4  the became 10 inch platforms from snow and ice build up