Sign in to follow this  
GANGGREEN

Southeast Alaska....

GANGGREEN

I don't peruse this forum very often, but saw the fly swap thread and figured I should post my summer plans.  I'll be fishing in southeast Alaska with my wife from August 10-16 this year.  This is my 3rd fishing trip to southeast Alaska, but my first trip to Kupreanof Island near Petersburg.  Believe it or not, I won a trip to a lodge there including meals, lodging, boat, etc. and my wife decided that she'd go with me.  ;)  (I won an individual trip, so I'll pay full price for my wife and I'm glad to do so).

In the past, I've kept the fly selection very basic and simple and have done well.  I usually take a handful of "standard flies" like hare's ears, black stoneflies and wooly buggers.  Last year I took some pink, cream and purple mop flies and I always tie up about a dozen hot pink chenille or flashabou wooly buggers, which have been hot, hot, hot.  Last year I was down to just a couple of them (hadn't tied any up and was just using leftover from a previous trip).  Me and a buddy tried all sorts of flies from both of our boxes, but my hot pink buggers worked much better than anything else, which left him begging for one of my last 2 flies and me using one that was literally falling apart for most of the last day that we fished.  

During mid-August, I'm hopeful that there will be scads of pink salmon in the streams (I'd like my wife to have billions of "easy" fish to fish over), there should be fair numbers of silvers in some of the streams and maybe a handful of chum or sockeye.  There will also be cutthroats, dollies and maybe some rainbows.  Anybody have much experience fly fishing Alaska and want to offer some thoughts on must have flies to take?  What about rod selection?  Last year I only had a 6 weight Sage 9 footer, which was perfect for the pinks, but definitely on the light side for the silvers.  To that end, I'll purchase something new this summer to take with me.  I'm thinking a 7 weight because I think that's ideal for local steelhead near me, but an 8 weight isn't out of the question.  Not sure about brand either.  I won't use the rod terribly often, but I don't want to use junk either.  Ideally I'd like to keep it around $200 for a package, but I realize that's low end.  I do get a pretty fair discount from Orvis and think I could get a moderate-priced package for not much more than that with my discount.  I also need to replace my breathable waders and want to get my wife some (she has bootfoot neoprenes, but I don't think we want to schlep around the extra weight and I find the breathables with wading boots to be much more comfortable).  I'll also probably get myself a new vest or pack.  I have a perfectly acceptable chest pack, but it's not terribly comfortable and I think a regular vest will hold as much gear and distribute the weight better.

Thoughts, advice, tips?  Oh, I should also mention that we will have a boat for the week and will be doing a lot of saltwater fishing for halibut, rockfish and some salmon as well.

Skybuster

Geez, are you living the good life! Wife and I did a cruise and tour a couple years back. Alaska is a sportsman's dream.

GANGGREEN
8 minutes ago, Skybuster said:

Geez, are you living the good life! Wife and I did a cruise and tour a couple years back. Alaska is a sportsman's dream.

We're responsible types and we never went anywhere until we were in our mid-40s.  Family vacation usually amounted to a local theme park or possibly a cabin rental within a few hours of home.  At the point where we recognized that we were saving enough for retirement and that you only live once, we started making trips to the places that we'd like to go.  Since then this will be my 3rd trip to Alaska and we've been to Florida and the Dominican Republic repeatedly (entirely to please the wife).  I realize that I am blessed with the opportunity and I hope to be able to continue to visit cool places and see new things.....

Bluegill68

Bill here is a pretty standard selection of when I have gone for silvers in the rivers. 

326A8FDC-236F-4D05-B353-0145C1482AD1.jpeg

Bluegill68

Rainbows and cuts can be had on the standard elk hair caddis (Olive , black and Cream ) a handful of hairs ears or smaller boogers.  For Dolly's nothing beats an egg pattern or a simple plastic bead above a hook,  at times you can catch them every cast. 

For rods I think your on the money I usually have a couple of sixes and a 8wt.  IF kings are a possibility I go up to a 10.  Quality Reels with smooth drags inmo will serve you better , than the lower end deals at least for the silvers which depending on how long they been out of the salt can really burn it up. 

The breathable waders on long trips like this are worth every penny.

What I have done for high end specialty equipment that I don usually have a use for is buy it used off the big auction site, use it clean it up and then re-sale back on the auction site.  I don't like having stuff just sitting around if I don't know for sure it wont be in action soon. 

Okhotnik

Have good luck for silver throwing purple bunny leeches. Use a teeny 300 line

crystal meth or sucker spawn is the best egg pattern I have used in Alaska for dollies and rainbows, cuts IMO  prefer to beads

Id get TFO bvk in 8 wt. can find for around $209. 6wt and 8 wt should cover your bases 

if kings would move move up to 10 but an 8 wt would suffice

for cheaper breathable waders try Sierra trading post

GANGGREEN

Thanks for all for all the advice.  I'll tie or buy some of the fly patterns (some I have already) and I'll find a rod for silvers and what else I need.  I did have a TFO rod that was around that price point, I didn't like it specifically, didn't care for the action, but obviously all models are different.  We might still see the odd king or two in the saltwater, but I think the runs will be over, so I'm gearing up specifically for pinks, silvers and to a lesser degree sockeye and chum.  Probably won't carry a "trout rod" at all, they'll just be bonus fish on the heavy gear.

shoot-straight

Been to Alaska in mid August- pinks galore! But they run on an every other year type cycle I'm told. Chums were there too. 

Flash and bright colors. can't have enough of either of them it seems. Eggs for everything else. Small non salmon streams most basic attractor patterns should work fine. 

GANGGREEN
9 minutes ago, shoot-straight said:

Been to Alaska in mid August- pinks galore! But they run on an every other year type cycle I'm told. Chums were there too. 

Flash and bright colors. can't have enough of either of them it seems. Eggs for everything else. Small non salmon streams most basic attractor patterns should work fine. 

I was there last year and there were scads of pinks in the streams, but if I'm not mistaken, I THINK this is supposed to be the high year.  Who knows, maybe it's specific to certain runs and individual streams.  I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Okhotnik
On 2/14/2019 at 2:41 AM, GANGGREEN said:

Thanks for all for all the advice.  I'll tie or buy some of the fly patterns (some I have already) and I'll find a rod for silvers and what else I need.  I did have a TFO rod that was around that price point, I didn't like it specifically, didn't care for the action, but obviously all models are different.  We might still see the odd king or two in the saltwater, but I think the runs will be over, so I'm gearing up specifically for pinks, silvers and to a lesser degree sockeye and chum.  Probably won't carry a "trout rod" at all, they'll just be bonus fish on the heavy gear.

I think you’ll like the BVK

i have around 20 fly rods from all manufacturers and think the BVK great bargain