Dongotto

Spring woodcock update

Dongotto

FYI several birds are moving back through southwest Missouri. 

Adrian591

Hold them there, we're not ready.😒

MoSpaniels

I heard of another report today.

First time in 10 months that more than three were spotted here. Glad you got onto a few.

Dongotto
1 hour ago, Adrian591 said:

Hold them there, we're not ready.😒

We had sleet,snow, and freezing rain today so we really arnt either. Valentine's day seems the first arrival for my area. I have heard seen them the first week of February before but by mid February numbers pick up. 

Coalman

Looking forward to their home coming!

Larry Brown

I don't think they're going to be showing up in central or northern WI for awhile.  But I suppose it's better that we got our big snow mid-Feb this year rather than mid-April, like last year.  On the other hand, we could lose all we have now by April . . . only to get another big dump late.  I think, after last year, we're due for an early spring.

Mike da Carpenter

Usually don’t start seeing them here till Mid March.  Looking forward to their return, as that is a good sign that winter is really close to being over.

dogrunner

Seems kinda early maybe they need to reset there GPS. 

finsfurfeathers

Damm too early of a notice. The anticipation is going to drive me crazy.

Usually expect them for easter time. Although easter floats around the calendar their arrival always seems to coincide. This year April 22 is marked for their return.

tut

Not sure if it was headed north or south, but Sophie pointed one in the upper Shenandoah Valley in Va 2 days ago. 

Dongotto

Two years ago the last week of March I was cruising some timber along a power line cut. I flushed a hen with dangled legs and I knew she had chicks and was acting injured. I froze in my tracks and when I looked down there were two chicks as close to death as possible. Three chicks is all I found and I backed out of the area. I know the will nest in Missouri but this was my first time seeing it.

0402171303~2.jpg

pa'tridge hunters

They usually show up here around March 18th. Give or take.

Coalman

2016, 2017 and 2018 they showed up on NH's coastal plain the first week of March.

We are still snow covered but seeps are open.

I will be looking soon.

Craig Doherty

Flight birds have started to trickle into central Kentucky but there are a few that never leave -- were here when I arrived in early January and will nest here with chicks hatching out in late March.

barna

Much to my surprise had two singers in the back yard last Friday (Feb. 15) in central OH, the are about one week ahead of schedule.   

This nest was photographed Mar. 30th 2014,

nest.thumb.png.00b7843efec53710f28d281daa1c11d0.png

a few weeks later

IMG_20140421_100052_091.thumb.jpg.6cfb8bc7dcaae1fe044f03688188c156.jpg

Barna