garyRI

Anyone smoke their own ham?

garyRI

Brought back the hind legs of two hogs from Texas and want to try curing/smoking my own ham. Pl;enty of info on wet curing hams. Anyone smoke their own?

Chukarman

My father in law used to smoke a ham every year. Brined it, then slow, cool smoked over pimento (allspice) wood. Supremely delicious.

The classic ham is 'cold smoked' - bathed in smoke too cool to actually cook it - and smoked for a long time. There are many variations on uncooked ham, including Parma, Westphalian, traditional Polish, Southeastern US country hams (ie: Smithfield) as well as other air-cured hams. I bet you have fun doing it and get a delicious result.

Good luck!

charlo slim

We have been making Canadian bacon from feral pork loin and from that elongated cylindrical muscle from the round. Brined, lightly smoked, and simmered.  Not really ham I guess, but quite easy and very tasty.... in a ham like sort of way.  Holler if you want the recipe.  Good luck -- enjoy.

garyRI
On 2/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, charlo slim said:

We have been making Canadian bacon from feral pork loin and from that elongated cylindrical muscle from the round. Brined, lightly smoked, and simmered.  Not really ham I guess, but quite easy and very tasty.... in a ham like sort of way.  Holler if you want the recipe.  Good luck -- enjoy.

Picked up the pictured curing salt but what do you use for a temp & how long do you smoke?

curing salt.jpg

Ben Hong

I have smoked hams and pork hocks (very cheap) countless times. In my BGE I set the temp at 220F, pile on some good wood pieces for the smoke, throw on the seasoned and raw hams and let her run until center reads 160-170 F.

SODAKer
3 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I have smoked hams and pork hocks (very cheap) countless times. In my BGE I set the temp at 220F, pile on some good wood pieces for the smoke, throw on the seasoned and raw hams and let her run until center reads 160-170 F.

Ben 

How long does the ham hold?

BBlizzard18

My go to reference book for sausage making, curing, and smoking meat has a recipe for “American-Style Holiday Ham”.  It says hot-smoke at 200F until internal temp reaches 155F.  

Ben Hong
8 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Ben 

How long does the ham hold?

Earl, I don't understand the question.

SODAKer
3 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Earl, I don't understand the question.

Hey Ben, I got smoked mixed up with dry cured. As a kid we always kept a dry cured ham in the pantry and would slice off as wanted vs smoked ham that was kept in the fridge.

Kurt

I remember those! My parents kept a brown paper bag over ours to keep the dust off. Cut a slice off to put in with a Mason jar of green beans or pot pie noodles.

Mike da Carpenter

Tried smoking a whole ham once.  Took up a lot of real estate in the spare fridge as it cured for a long time.  And when smoked, it just wasn’t the same as store bought, so never did it again.

However, a couple times a year, I will smoke 50# of bacon at a time.  So much better than store bought, much healthier as I only use Kocher salt, brown sugar and cracked pepper as my “cure”.  No nitrates/nitrites, water or other chemicals injected.  Haven’t bought bacon from the store in quite a few years,.  Everyone in the house, along with all the guys I work with, have developed a taste/liking for homemade bacon, 

john mcg
7 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Tried smoking a whole ham once.  

This made me chuckle. Did you inhale?

"He smoked the whole thing".

🙂

garyRI

19 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I do this and call it dry rubbed BBQ.

This video clip explains how to make a wet cure ham thast will need to be refrigerated: https://www.eater.com/2018/12/4/18124468/make-deli-style-ham-video

charlo slim
23 hours ago, garyRI said:
On 2/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, charlo slim said:

Picked up the pictured curing salt but what do you use for a temp & how long do you smoke?

We have generally followed the recipe below.  Minus the "dizzy pig - cow lick" spice (sheesh..!).  Subbed Montreal Steak seasoning for that, or just skipped it entirely. Disregard the simmer part above - that is for corned goose breast.  Senior brain flatulence.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/dizzy-pig-cow-lick-canadian-bacon/