max2

Wood Duck Houses

max2

Just went out and cleaned out the wood duck house and installed new cedar bedding.  Kinda cool when I took out the old shaving's there was a lot of eggshells from last years hatch.  Happy to say I had seen the momma with her young a number of times. It was really something to see. The box is looking perfect as far as the aging patina of it . With a picture for your viewing pleasure.

P1000672.JPG

RJR

Nice  I need to make several as the piece of property I'm leasing right now has none.

SelbyLowndes

I used to keep one on the half acre plus pond I have in my backyard. I took it down because it was a plastic one that I read was not safe for the ducks.  I need to replace it with one like yours because I've had two pairs visiting for the last week looking for a place to nest, or more likely feeding from the corn pile I keep replenished in the pond all winter...SelbyLowndes

Don't worry, I live in town and wouldn't harm them for anything!

Mike da Carpenter

Built 2 of these boxes close to 10 years ago (could be 5 or 15 as remembering “stuff” is getting hard), and to this day nothing has used them.  Next weekend, I will change out the bedding one last time, then let nature takes it course if nothing uses it this year.  If anything, it’s neat to look out there and see it in the back yard.  Picture taken a few minutes ago (zoomed in pretty good as it’s about 150 yards away from the house) before the snowstorm started just a few minutes later.  Can’t even see the box now due to the heavy snow coming down.

AF992E96-2623-47C4-9B2A-1261BE87A488.thumb.jpeg.0d124c53bc5a1fb9f3816cb61d54ec14.jpeg

max2
13 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Built 2 of these boxes close to 10 years ago (could be 5 or 15 as remembering “stuff” is getting hard), and to this day nothing has used them.  Next weekend, I will change out the bedding one last time, then let nature takes it course if nothing uses it this year.  If anything, it’s neat to look out there and see it in the back yard.  Picture taken a few minutes ago (zoomed in pretty good as it’s about 150 yards away from the house) before the snowstorm started just a few minutes later.  Can’t even see the box now due to the heavy snow coming down.

AF992E96-2623-47C4-9B2A-1261BE87A488.thumb.jpeg.0d124c53bc5a1fb9f3816cb61d54ec14.jpeg

Are you sure their not using it ? You also have the perfect "look" for attracting duck's. I find they do like privacy. So if there is a lot of activity perhaps they are being scared away ? The entry of the box looks like someone may have been going in ? Perhaps coon's  can raid it ? I will say this it took a lot of yrs for ducks to show here or at least to call it home. I blamed it more on the activity around here. Thing's have really quieted down here.  

max2

Just when I thought all was going well - everything went bad quickly .  I put my trail-cam at the wood duck box to catch the activity  .  Last evening a  bear took it down . Merganser eggs and woodie eggs were inside - 6 at least in a mix  .  Does anyone feel they may survive or should I clean them out now in hopes of a re-nest ? Some of the  many pic's  prior for your enjoyment.

WGI_0082.JPG

WGI_0060.JPG

WGI_0055.JPG

WGI_0087.JPG

sharptail grouse

Nice pics!

My older brothers both worked on wood ducks when I was a kid and they used to take me along when they were doing their fieldwork - nests got whacked all the time. Clean 'em out and they'll re-nest. That bear might figure out your chum line though....

MAArcher

Wood duck houses are a great project to do with boy scouts.  I had some spare lumber so we made some up about 8 years ago with my son's den.  He just made Life and is working on Eagle.

scouts and woodduck houses.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Cool pictures...SelbyLowndes

max2
11 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Nice pics!

My older brothers both worked on wood ducks when I was a kid and they used to take me along when they were doing their fieldwork - nests got whacked all the time. Clean 'em out and they'll re-nest. That bear might figure out your chum line though....

He actually broke the metal post .What saved the eggs was it fell outward into the pond but was only a little submerged and the inside stayed put. I'm thinking on using a wooden 4x4 in a little deeper water. Have to stand in a boat to swing sledge hammer to drive the post. If someone here were to build a pond from scratch I think I wood recommend placing a concrete filled metal lolli-column out a way into the pond and set it in concrete before the pond filled up . In my case because the bear came up empty I am hoping he does not return until I make corrections.   

ScottGrush

My wife won this wood duck box at the RGS banquet a number of years ago. The first year it was out we had occupants. 

There is a guy in my club that monitors close to 50 boxes annually. He repairs, cleans and collects useage data on them all each winter once the ice gets safe. 

Mergansers use them as much as wood ducks do but it's all good and good for conservation. 

20170212_185929063_iOS.jpg

sharptail grouse
16 hours ago, max2 said:

He actually broke the metal post .What saved the eggs was it fell outward into the pond but was only a little submerged and the inside stayed put. I'm thinking on using a wooden 4x4 in a little deeper water. Have to stand in a boat to swing sledge hammer to drive the post. If someone here were to build a pond from scratch I think I wood recommend placing a concrete filled metal lolli-column out a way into the pond and set it in concrete before the pond filled up . In my case because the bear came up empty I am hoping he does not return until I make corrections.   

That might work - it will fun trying :)

Felix
16 hours ago, max2 said:

I'm thinking on using a wooden 4x4 in a little deeper water. Have to stand in a boat to swing sledge hammer to drive the post. 

Please have someone film this if you try. :) 

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Felix said:

Please have someone film this if you try. :) 

You know after reading your post I remembered a couple college buddies and myself trying to do that very thing when we were attempting to build a duck blind. I agree - photo documentation would be key here.

ccavacini

Years ago, I lived on a 3 acre pond.  Bought a wood duck box and had the Industrial Tech guy put a hinge on the lid and plexiglass on the side.

I could row out and look in the box.  One time, I opened the lid, momma flew out and pooped all over me.

But the neatest thing....happened to see all the chicks drop into the pond...momma gathered them up, walked them into the woods and I never saw them again.   New wood duck chicks don't stay on the water long.