jackh

2018 Subaru Forester - Hunting Vehicle

jackh

Just a short public service message regarding the capabilities of my 2018 Forester Premium.

Modifications:

Skid plate - heavy duty 1/4" aluminum (about $250)

Lift Kit - 2" Anderson Mfg (about $700 installed)

Wheels - 16" (OEM wheels are 17") Why?  I wanted more tire and less rim. This did not add any ht to speak of.

Tires - Big O Bigfoot AT 225/75/16

As it sits, I have 11" of clearance - plenty of room.  If you have a standard 4WD pu, measure the clearance of it and compare it to the Forester.

I did a great deal of research last year deciding what vehicle I wanted for the next few years of hunting.  I wanted good mpg, off-road capabilities, enough room, sunroof, enough power, I want to get 250k miles out of it, AND I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND 40k. (My stock, new Forester, ran me under 27k.)

All of my research led me to the Forester (I have had an 2 Subs earlier and loved them).

I now have 25k miles on it with no problems.  I have taken it to some rough country in the mountains while fishing; I have taken it on LONG road trips (hwy); I have taken it on rough, snowy, muddy trips in western KS hunting; I have driven it through a bunch of snow and ice as my commuter here in NE KS.

This thing gets a A++++++++ rating from me; I love it!

It easily handled bad mud and snow where big 4WD PUs were struggling; so much so, that after some bad stretches, several in our group were high-fiving me, exclaiming that they just couldn't believe what it could do, and extensively all over this thing looking it over...

(I have folks roll down their windows in traffic and ask where I got my lift and what mods I've done, etc.)

It is great on the highway as a commuter; is VERY stable on ice/snow; has enough room for two dogs/two hunters/gear.  When I went to the mts, I took the family and a TON of gear: For this I used my Thule cargo carrier on top.

With the mods, I get 26-27 mpg hwy - without, I got 30-31. I pull a small 5x8 utility trailer some with no issues.  It sure has enough power and pep for me, but it isn't like a turbo rig.

The pic below was after about a mile of BAD, deep, mud and snow.  I had rooster tails from all 4 tires but floated thru this like a champ.

IMG_6304.JPG

terrym

Truthfully, most people/bird hunters would be best served with a Forester. 

Dogwood

I assume you used the 2" Strut Spacers to lift?  Who installed them for you or DIY?

jackh

I used the ADF 2" strut spacers with multi-link spacers.  I had it done by a 4x4 shop that has done Jeep work for me.

This created a slight vibration (this is common).  I cured it with a DIY install of a CVT stabilizer and lowered my carrier bearing.

ADF sent me the carrier bearing lowering kit for free and the stabilizer cost me about $35.

And...2 hours of my labor 🙂

Mike da Carpenter

Always thought a Subaru would be the ultimate hunting rig, but for me, it’s just not practical to have a dedicated car for a couple months out of the year.  Once I no longer have a need for a truck on a daily basis, I can see one of these in my future.

Windrider

I had a Forester about the turn of the century and did similar things.  The thing was an absolute blast.

Unfortunately, we have a good bit of clay in our soil in TX, so I needed higher void tires and went 4wd.

Hmmmm.... with the trend to crossover tires like the Duratrac I’m starting to wonder if maybe I couldn’t go back.

Do you have the CVT in yours?

Brad Eden

Cool. JoAnn may be trading in her Rogue within the month. I'm praying she likes the Forester on a test drive. My truck is old and slowly transitioning into an around town/upta camp plow truck, so we will share the Forrester for general use.

john mcg
6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Cool. JoAnn may be trading in her Rogue within the month. I'm praying she likes the Forester on a test drive. My truck is old and slowly transitioning into an around town/upta camp plow truck, so we will share the Forrester for general use.

Curious...why isn’t an Outback in your sights?

blanked
47 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Outbacks look like a station wagon per my wife

Brad Eden
43 minutes ago, john mcg said:

If we are talking new 2019 models....Outback is more money, more station wagony, longer. Forester is less money, more SUVish, taller. Outback hasn't been updated for almost 5 years aside from some minor changes last year. The 2019 Forester is a redesign and has more HP and better gas mileage and has a quieter ride than past years, and has other more advanced features, that won't be available in the Outback until 2020.

john mcg
Just now, blanked said:

Outbacks look like a station wagon per my wife

It is the original SUV and still holding strong.

In all but one catagory worth mentioning the Outback wins out.

The Forester has an advantage in approach and departure angle.

My wife is on her second. Until recently, I’ve had trucks but I’ve been hunting out of her Outback and it’s all one needs.

Want is a different animal.

john mcg
2 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

If we are talking new 2019 models....Outback is more money, more station wagony, longer. Forester is less money, more SUVish, taller. Outback hasn't been updated for almost 5 years aside from some minor changes last year. The 2019 Forester is a redesign and has more HP and better gas mileage and has a quieter ride than past years, and has other more advanced features, that won't be available in the Outback until 2020.

We must be reading different reports.

Curt

Did they ever get the floor to lay flat in the 2018?  We drove one in 2017 but I nixed the deal because when you laid the back seat down the resulting 'floor' wasn't flat, there was about a 1"-1 1/2" rise with a small step up, problem for crates.

Brad Eden
14 minutes ago, john mcg said:

We must be reading different reports.

Since we are currently in the market for a new vehicle, I've read up on the 2019 Forester vs the Outback. It can be as as simple as I personally don't like the wagon look vs the small SUV look. Same for JoAnn. Different strokes.

Planet Subaru:

Forester is all-new for the 2019 model year, while the 2019 Outback is in the last year of the five-year model cycle that Subaru uses for its volume products. Subaru "refreshed" the Outback last year to keep it competitive, but the 2019 Forester is produced on Subaru's newest "Global Platform" that won't underpin the Outback until the 2020 model year. The new platform is significantly more quieter than previous iterations, increasing crashworthiness and handling agility while reducing cabin noise. All 2019 Foresters and Outbacks come standard with Subaru's award-winning Eyesight suite of driver assistance technologies but only the Forester offers DriverFocus, and anti-distraction and convenience system that we don't expect to see on the Outback until next year. Also, only Forester offers a "multi-mode" version of X-Mode, that can driver-selected to different terrains. So if you want the latest and greatest of Subaru engineering, choose the Forester now or wait a year for an all-new 2020 Outback. 

ccavacini

Let me muddy the water....just bought a '19 Subaru CrossTrek.  It's a good option.  This one has the EyeSight system, which is probably the closest thing to a self driving car.  It has all the bells and whistles.

Anyway, if you're looking at Subarus look at it.