Jack L

Trend against habitat

Jack L

It seems the rage with state legislatures currently is to restrict any further $ for wildlife .

Here in Iowa the DNR's budget has been cut in half. Iowa has some of the lowest percentage of public land in the country. Commodity prices are in the tank?

Yet There are bills pending in the Iowa legislature to make sure that no additional land goes to wildlife.

They  would prohibit any public expansion of public parks, wildlife areas etc. The state couldn't  spend any $ for purchasing any land for these purposes.

It would also take away any tax credits from private owners for the charitable conservation tax credit.  

We we are living in a crazy time.  The Farm Bureua won't rest until every piece of land is tllled.  They can't seem to grasp simple supply and demand concepts and the legislature along with the governor are in it up to their chins.

It's a tough time to be a fan of the outdoors and nature.

Kansas Bound

I lost faith with the whole clean water fiasco in Iowa.  That should make every resident sick to their stomach what the politicians did. I don't think people even cared or noticed. 

Jack L

A new Des Register poll said the big concerns for voters here are guns, taxes and abortion . 

Water not on the radar 

Remo

Farm Bureau is funded by a mandatory  membership check off when people buy insurance from Farm Bureau. Sportsmen don't organize and have no funding mechanism like Farm Bureau.

henryrski

Wait until they get thirsty or they go broke because crop prices tanked.

Randy S

Thanks for posting Jack. Just another reason to run from this state. I've lived here all but 8 of my 64 years and if it weren't for finishing my IPERS pension I'd have left five years ago. Fortunately, I have memories of fantastic hunting and good friends, because in a couple of years, I'll never set foot in Iowa again. Iowa's become nothing more than a good place to be from. 

IsThisHeaven?

Both state senators have told me CRP acreage and rates made renting difficult for first time and young farmers. Now with this latest disaster of a bill they are saying the same thing. No mention of the effects grain subsidies have on land prices though....Its really too bad but you don’t dare complain about anything or anyone related to agriculture around here.

Randy S
23 minutes ago, IsThisHeaven? said:

Both state senators have told me CRP acreage and rates made renting difficult for first time and young farmers.

I can think of dozens of ownership occupations that are "too difficult" for young people to buy into. So what's so sacred about farming?  Current landowners paying $10-14,000.00 per acre made farming too expensive for young farmers. It wasn't $300.00 CRP payments that made the land desirable at that amount, it was cash buyers trying to group their holdings by purchasing neighboring ground. And I've watched a dozen interviews of farmers questioned on whether their children were interested in continuing on the "family" farm and the response was always "no". The term "family farm" in 90% of it's usage, is a lie. They're corporate farms. The reality is corporate farms want to buy up all the land, without competition from anyone, and that's who our politicians are being bribed by. 

The "free" state of Iowa wants to eliminate the right to purchase land by a group of the states private citizens, to reduce the competition and cost of purchase, for corporate ownership. And to anyone from neighboring states, these corporations are national and multi-national. They aren't restricted by state borders. For them what works in Iowa will work everywhere.   

Jack L

A lot of people, maybe hundreds, packed the hearing in the house committee considering these bills to oppose them.  The head of the committee said the bill won't come out of committee now or maybe ever. Still alive in the senate.

The only group to come out in  favor of the bills....Farm Bureau.  

Kansas Big Dog

In a perfect world, well I should say in a perfect world for us upland bird hunters, there would be much more native grasslands and much less ag land. But ag is a business and it is responds to market influences. For there to be more native grassland, there must be much less demand for ag commodities. Simple as that. IMHO, I don't see that happening. 

As far as the Farm Bureau, that is their job and they do it well.

watermen

Fighting the same thing in N. MO. over 50% of farmland owned by foreign corporations through LLC loophole.  24% Brazil and 28% China.  CFO's moving this direction, and water issues as well.  Gonna get worse I think.

NW River Mac
18 hours ago, watermen said:

Fighting the same thing in N. MO. over 50% of farmland owned by foreign corporations through LLC loophole.  24% Brazil and 28% China.  CFO's moving this direction, and water issues as well.  Gonna get worse I think.

This is a huge problem in many industries, not just farming.  Profits going foreign companies to be invested elsewhere.  It's a huge sucking sound that I don't think most realize. 

Kansas Big Dog
On 3/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, watermen said:

in N. MO. over 50% of farmland owned by foreign corporations through LLC loophole.  24% Brazil and 28% China.

I find that hard to believe, most plat books I have seen still show most land still owned by locals or absentee land owners, they may not farm, but still family owned in Trusts, etc. What counties are you talking about?

quailguy
13 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I find that hard to believe, most plat books I have seen still show most land still owned by locals or absentee land owners, they may not farm, but still family owned in Trusts, etc. What counties are you talking about?

https://will.illinois.edu/news/story/foreign-investment-in-u.s.-farmland-on-the-rise

take it to the bank; Chinese owned ag companies will focus on production at all costs and will never give a damn about Americans concerns