casts_by_fly

When did Bluetooth/hands free become standard on trucks?

casts_by_fly

Hi guys,

when did bluetooth and handsfree become standard or at least common on pickups?  There is a chance of us moving home and I’m doing research.  Having not been in the US for 14 years,  I haven’t exactly kept up with the trucks. Whatever I have, bluetooth is mandatory now that I’ve had it for ever here. I’m thinking 2012 is a good bet but I think it will vary. Assume a fully spec’d out model (leather and heated seats are mandatory too).

thanks

rick

gunsrus

I have a 2005 Ram with bluetooth .

Lurch

I've got an '07 chevy LTZ without. Not sure if you needed the GPS to get it, cuz that's the only option it does not have.  I think around the 07/08 timeframe it became at least an option with GM. I think 12 would be a safe bet - seems like even most rental cars had it by then, even in limited-option packages.

SelbyLowndes

It really became common when so many states began adopting hands free phone laws...SelbyLowndes

Curt

I have it on my 2011 F350.

River19

2009 Lexus with, and knowing how tech usually hits Toyota mainstream a couple years later I'm thinking maybe 2011ish for 'yota.  But someone with a 2011 can confirm.

Brad Eden

I'm guessing most new(er) vehicles have Bluetooth. Jo-Anns 2013 Rogue does. I think her even older Honda Civic that we "sold" to youngesr daughter has it too. Doesn't mean you have to use if a Luddite though.

Fur and Feathers

Blue tooth can be added easily and pretty cheap. We bought my son an  04 Jeep. Of course it didn't have blue tooth and we wanted him to have it. I bought him a Sony after market radio for Christmas that has blue tooth. Radio, plug and play harness, and mounting kit specific to his jeep for less than $150. Installed it myself in about a half hour. 

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, Fur and Feathers said:

Blue tooth can be added easily and pretty cheap. We bought my son an  04 Jeep. Of course it didn't have blue tooth and we wanted him to have it. I bought him a Sony after market radio for Christmas that has blue tooth. Radio, plug and play harness, and mounting kit specific to his jeep for less than $150. Installed it myself in about a half hour. 

Crutchfield?

Fur and Feathers
21 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Crutchfield?

yes

jeff88

I added satellite radio to an '04 Expy via an "aux" connection behind the head unit that was easy to access.  Came close to just replacing the entire head unit with an after market unit with bluetooth, satellite, cd and radio - it can be done.  

Marc Ret

If your radio has an auxiliary input, you can have Bluetooth cheap. 

BT Adapter

Marc Ret
6 hours ago, Fur and Feathers said:

yes

Have had nothing but good service from them. 

WPG Gizmo

Any vehicle can have BT now it is a easy and cheap add on so it really does not matter if the vehicle has it or not personally I find no need for it and my 2010 wrangler does not have  it

casts_by_fly

Hi guys,

i agree it can can be added. I did it for my 2003 liberty with a new head unit. I’d rather have it inbuilt and native unless I happen to find a vehicle that is otherwise perfect but has a radio fault (in which case a fully built system).

thanks,

rick