MUSTANGER7

WHAT DO YOU THINK? AM I SMOKIN MY SOCKS

MUSTANGER7

I've gotten this idea of buying a used Jeep Wrangler just to wonder around the woods etc and because I enjoyed the 1999 Jeep Sahara I had. I needed that one to pull around with my motor home. I have a really nice Ford Expedition 2015 that pulls the horses, hauls the dogs, pulls the boat etc. Being frugal and I think realistic I wondering if its just an old age want with little real value. What say you guys/gals.

gunsrus

Great Title !  I've had a few Jeep Wranglers . Newer ones 2006 and up really handle great but the power under the hood sucks . A couple dogs and gear driving on logging roads with a truck on your arse is downright dangerous . Even with a six speed , you just can't get enough power .

I traded mine . The 1998 Wrangler i had was much better with acceleration . They are a fun toy .

Curt

Why not if you're just looking for a toy to run around in the woods, probably a lot of fun?  Not much good as a hunting vehicle, no usable space inside but for running forest roads...great.

RDG

I’m on Wrangler #2.   Old one was a 88 or 89 four banger... sold it many years ago. 

Current one is a 2002 with the 4.0 straight six. Love it and never plan on selling it, unless I find a really nice CJ. It’s basically my summer toy, only has 65K on it. 

Try and find a 98- 05 with the 4.0 and a Dana 44 rear end. The 06+ basically have a mini-van engine. The 44 rear will hold up to bigger tires and some back roads better than the D35. I prefer the 5 speed to the auto but that’s preference. 

cajunl

HoI've had 4 jeeps from cj to wrangler. A jeep gladiator. And a couple cherokees. 

The CJs are too much of a collector's now and usually way overpriced for a bucket of rust and WAY, WAY overpriced for one in any good condition. 

The newer 98+ have a much nicer interior. Much harder to use as a hard core hunting machine. It will smell like wet dog frequently! 

The jeep yj. Late 80s through early 90s are a nice sweet spot. Fuel injected, easy to work on, relatively cheap and you can wash most out with a garden hose!

A small Toyota, or nissan truck is much more practical....but a lot less fun.

NVChukarChaser

I thoroughly enjoy mine! I have a simple tow bar and pull it down the road if going too far or more often just drive it from home. It’s great off roads and fun a half day or so. The main reason I like it is I have a rig for pulling trailers that isn’t so great off road and the Jeep fills that gap. I also don’t ever have to short trip my diesel for little errands. The TJ is a pretty solid rig. Go with the six cylinder and hardtop if you can find one.

Cheer,

34276A0A-CA29-4E03-B6E6-F189A30C6521.jpeg

CA05F356-DD81-4061-8B2E-A90311FB74D9.jpeg

B7E984E4-8E1C-41F4-B1CA-1E48847226CE.jpeg

OldSarge

Are you looking for street legal or just bush buggy? I really liked my Willy’s Wheeler but a side by side UTV is more capable off road. Hard to beat an old Jeep with a little lift and fat tires for cool factor though. 

BlacknTan

I don't think you're smokin' your socks at all! I've been thinking along the same lines of late. Something a bit older and capable, but something I don't have to worry about for haulin' the dog with me everywhere..

Chukarman

Sounds like a good idea to me! I have an old CJ that I tool around in. lots of fun.

If I was looking for a pure 'woods Jeep' I think I would gravitate towards an older CJ7 with straight 4.0 L six and manual transmission.

willys_history_cjwillys.jpg.d93e0b995db84ad6df1399e4ed16e50f.jpg

Brad Eden

This may sound weird but my boss at my first job in the art dept at a printing company in Porter Square Boston got me a Jeep Wrangler as a company car. I had decided living in an apartment in the city with JoAnn, and that she was pregnant wasn't gonna work so was planning to move back to my rural home town. He didn't want to lose me so offered a car to commute in. I told him I only drove 4wd vehicles. A 1983 or 84 Jeep Wrangler CJ7 was waiting for me in the parking lot. Loved it, so much fun. It had the narrow wheelbase so was sketchy in wind and stuff. It was also bouncy and almost put JoAnn into premature labor. 

WPG Gizmo

If that's the case I have been smoking my socks for a couple of years now I have a 2010 Wrangler 2Dr I have no problems with it off road and I dont drive like a maniac so speed is not a issue on the road I can cruise at 70 with no problems.  In a stiff wind it does get a little squrriely but that is a common short wheel base issue.  

With the rear seat removed I have plenty of room for the dogs if you decide to get one get a winch for it as you will find yourself heading down roads you might need a hand getting out of 🤣

Virgil Kane
4 hours ago, Chukarman said:

If I was looking for a pure 'woods Jeep' I think I would gravitate towards an older CJ7.

Or a CJ5 which had an even shorter wheelbase.  Had a 73 CJ5 with a 258 ci straight 6 with 4 speed manual tranny and that thing was like a billy goat.  Wish I still had a CJ5.

Virgil

Chukarman
51 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Or a CJ5 which had an even shorter wheelbase.  Had a 73 CJ5 with a 258 ci straight 6 with 4 speed manual tranny and that thing was like a billy goat.  Wish I still had a CJ5.

Virgil

I liked to slightly longer wheelbase of the CJ7 for dog boxes. I have been on a low level search for a clean CJ6 with the Dauntless V6 engine for a couple years. Would like to 'restomod' it for bird hunting.

Here's a nice looking CJ3B restored a bit...

88670179_TanJeep1.thumb.jpg.bb42772fdd28615414fb9eb5834137fb.jpg

Tim Frazier

Ive had 14 Jeeps, CJ 3A/5/7s YJ, TJ, Cherokees and a Comanche.  I have not had one now for 7 years and have been disgusted with the used market prices I've seen when for most jobs there are better vehicles.  I will say you can still find cheap Suzuki's and for a woods buggy they are probably equal or better.  I won't lie, I do miss owning one but I already have two vehicles and need the full size truck for the farm and the Vibe for a commuter beater.

cajunl

You can also look at a new "willys jeep" with a turbo diesel.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/

I really liked my Willy’s Wheeler but a side by side UTV is more capable off road.

Agreed a side by side with stock locked rear and the ability to lock in all four makes it much better for serious off road.