steveziv

Shopping for older Foresters

steveziv

...for my daughter.  It would be an around-town daily driver.  How would you feel about a meticulously maintained 2006 Forester w/ 160K on it @ $4995 (negotiable)?  Loaded, new tires, brakes, timing belt and water pump. Clean carfax, state inspected.  I'm assuming I could buy it for under $4500.  Could I expect it to be trouble free for another 40K/4 yrs?

Bede

Depends on head gasket. 

River19
5 hours ago, Bede said:

Depends on head gasket. 

This.^  + Radiator and hoses.

I would also check all basic electronics,A/C and lights.....dash lights tend to go out at about that mileage/age.

steveziv

I assume the head gasket is original since he didn't mention it in his ad or text.

I've found nicer,  lower mileage cars for a couple thousand more but both of them are sticks, which she'd have to learn at 27.  Plus, stick ain't great for an around-town car w/ kids.

Dogwood

Pay a good mechanic to go over it then decide.  Sure looks good in the pics.

topdog1961

You'd think Subaru would have figured out the head gasket by 06, but I still hear of them causing issues. I had a 76 Subaru and I could change the head gaskets in no time flat by the time I got rid of it. 

If it were any other oriental manufacturer, you be good until at least 300k with proper maintenance. 

River19
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

You'd think Subaru would have figured out the head gasket by 06, but I still hear of them causing issues. I had a 76 Subaru and I could change the head gaskets in no time flat by the time I got rid of it. 

If it were any other oriental manufacturer, you be good until at least 300k with proper maintenance. 

I can tell you the 2000, 2003 and the 2006 in our family (the 2006 is my father's Forrester) all with the 2.5L all had the head gasket issues.  So I agree, this isn't exactly rocket science to figure out how to fix.  I just think they don't care to, hard to make a case otherwise after like 20-30 years.......lol

That being said, I like my father's 2006 Forrester with the 5sp as it is zippy enough when you row your own gears through the 12hp it has lol.  Good space inside too, no creature features but the basics in that car usually serve the target audience well.

vabirddog

Price a new converter, muffler and exhaust as well if it doesn't have one. These type things today can run very expensive and make used cars not nearly so attractive.

Tim Frazier

I'm impressed that Cockeysville is a real place.

Jacksdad

an awd car with 160k miles on it that has known gasket issues....

at 160k you're rolling the dice on ANY car.  I personally would feel better rolling the dice with Toyota or Honda. 

Tim Frazier

I would at least call, if the head gasket was done I've heard of many going 300,000 miles.  If it wasn't done and everything checks out by your mechanic offer $4000 and explain why.

Clueless1

All the postal delivery people around here that have to use their own cars drive Subaru's for it.  I've known of many that made it well over 300,000. 

River19
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

All the postal delivery people around here that have to use their own cars drive Subaru's for it.  I've known of many that made it well over 300,000. 

No doubt......we blew our 2003 OB up (literally) at 245K.....but it did need a head gasket job for $1300 or so to get there.

steveziv

Thanks for the responses, I'll likely spend a little more for something closer to 100K.  Is there a cut off year for head gasket issues?

And yes, Cockeysville is real, the Baltimore area is full of place names that sound odd or harsh to my Midwestern ears; Dundalk, Arbutus, Taneytown (sic), Pig Town, Halethorpe, Linthicum, Sykesville, Timonium, Catonsville, Pumphrey.

Marc Ret
14 minutes ago, steveziv said:

Thanks for the responses, I'll likely spend a little more for something closer to 100K.  Is there a cut off year for head gasket issues?

And yes, Cockeysville is real, the Baltimore area is full of place names that sound odd or harsh to my Midwestern ears; Dundalk, Arbutus, Taneytown (sic), Pig Town, Halethorpe, Linthicum, Sykesville, Timonium, Catonsville, Pumphrey.

At least you don't have towns with names like Intercourse, Blue Ball and Bird-In-Hand...