2019 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION IS LIVE Read more... ×
barna

Fishing on the Kenai

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Last 2 weeks of July are PEAK tourist times. Things die off after the first of August. Silver fishing is kicking in then. Usually much less crowds and the fishing is sometimes much better than in July. I tell my relatives to come the second week of August(unless I'm going sheep hunting). Silvers should be readily available in Seward by then, even fishing from shore.

watermen
On 4/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, barna said:

Looks like work got in the way and I have to reschedule, now looking at the last 2 weeks of July or first week of August, hoping that the crowds will die down and the fish will be still in the rivers.

thanks for all the great information,

Barna

good call

MNice
On 4/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, barna said:

Looks like work got in the way and I have to reschedule, now looking at the last 2 weeks of July or first week of August, hoping that the crowds will die down and the fish will be still in the rivers.

Still as in dead? Sorry, couldn't resist.

barna

Just had a few work trips finalized, looks like Aug. 10 through the 18th,  looks like grouse season opens up this week, would it be worth while to take a scatter gun for a few grouse? 

thanks,

Barna

garyRI
42 minutes ago, barna said:

worth while to take a scatter gun for a few grouse? 

Maybe. Call the local Alaska DNR (or equivalent) for advice. On a fly in August goat hunt across from the Homer spit observed huge flocks of them above the tree line.

Dick Sellers

Taking a shotgun along sounds like a good idea to me - both for bear protection (although I'd also get some pepper spray) and bird hunting.  Consider getting above tree line to find some ptarmigan.  A dog isn't necessary as the ptarmigan are pretty easy to spot out on the tundra.  Enjoy you adventure.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

That's peak silver fishing. It's also the week of Seward's silver salmon derby. Grouse can be had on the trails in the hills around town. Tough shooting that time of year with all the leaves still on.

barna

Got here yesterday, drove a round a little bit just to get the feel of the place, very scenic drive from Anchorage to the Kenai peninsula.  Fished the Russian at the campground for a few hours, did the floss style, hooked in to a few reds but all were non legal.  Today I went to a smaller creek to try my luck at silvers and got lucky, one hit my pink attractor 3 times and got it on the 3rd, a nice female.  Silvers are not running yet, a few here and there but hopping they will trickle in with enough numbers to gave me a shot at a few more later this week. 

IMG_20190812_150943 (1).jpg

Tomorrow is my guide trip, mostly rainbows and they are all catch and release. 

thanks for all the help guys,

Barna

WI Outdoor Nut

Barna - keep us posted on your trip.  Stayed at the Russian campground as well - great memories.  When I was there, it was worth the hike to fish right below the refuge, and go in early to avoid the crowds. 

Jazz4Brazo

Looking forward to your trip pics 🙂

barna

The float trip  was Tuesday, very nice time, our guide was first rate.  There is a little pause in the action, the reds have not started spawning yet and the trout have really not keyed in on the egg bite.  We managed a few Dolly Wardens, and then stopped to floss for reds.  Hooked about a dozen or so, really hard fighters.   A few photos from the trip.

IMG_20190813_085842.jpg

IMG_20190813_085844.jpg

IMG_20190813_131305.jpg

IMG_20190813_131315.jpg

IMG_20190813_163017.jpg

IMG_20190814_071053.jpg

MVIMG_20190813_144319.jpg

MVIMG_20190813_161731.jpg

barna

the two reds, male and female starting their spawning colors, I snagged them in the mouth so they were legal technically.  All fish were released.

Today hiking up to Crescent lake to try for grayling.

Barna

Jazz4Brazo

Love it...keep those pics coming 🙂

barna

Well its over, I am heading back to reality now.

The hike to Crescent lake was little harder than expected, we took the short but steep side.  We ended up on the east side of the lake and there was no good access points.  I saw nice fish (20" plus range) rising from to the top but there was no way to get close to fish them. 

I found a spot where I could go in (no waters), Water  almost chest deep and was only 6 feet from the shore, just enough o clear the brush from the edge.   Fished for about an hour but nothing was rising.

IMG_20190815_162501.jpg

MVIMG_20190815_162508.jpg

IMG_20190815_152432 (1).jpg

We picked a bunch of blue (low and high bush)  and salmon berries on the way in and out.  I was told that there maybe some Ptarmigan in this high valley.  Didn't see any.  Did hear a Spruce grouse calling on the way down in the thick stuff.  Stopped and try to find it but no luck. 

Barna