kgb

Peters Ammo

kgb
lee sykes

Great!  

Swampy 16

I think RST has paper in 16. I have a very old Peters wood ammo crate. Yard sale find. When I was a kid my grandfather hadn’t really hunted in years and all the shotgun ammo that was around, and there was a ton of it was mostly Peters. I also had a bunch of buck shot that was green but you could see a white powder that was mixed in the shot. 

jpari

RST has a couple different offerings with paper hulls.  The RST spreaders that I use have paper hulls.  I really have no idea if there is any difference between paper and plastic hulls other than the cool factor.

BlacknTan

The old Blue Magics were the best, most reloadable hulls ever, IMHO.

I'd love to see 16 ga. papers from Peters also..

Dave in Maine

Leave it to Remmie's website people:  the website ad copy for the "Peters High Velocity" (with the duck) says "perfectly finished round lead shot".  The box and the rest of the ordering information say "steel shot".  OTOH, the Peters Premier Blue Field & Target (showing a nice pic of The King) https://www.remington.com/ammunition/shotshell/peters-premier-blue-field-and-target says "perfectly finished round lead shot" that's a pleasure to shoot.  I can't decode the loads from their website, but I'm guessing it's a 26 gram load in a 12 ga, in 7.5 and 8 shot.

these SHOULD be easy to tell apart from the factory - the duck has a 6 point crimp and the King an 8.  Or so they say.  

lee sykes
1 hour ago, BlacknTan said:

The old Blue Magics were the best, most reloadable hulls ever, IMHO.

I'd love to see 16 ga. papers from Peters also..

I wish I had known that about blue magics.  Not long after I bought my 28 gauge Ruger,  the local hardware had a stash of 28 ga. AA skeet loads and Blue magics.  They sold them for about $3 a box.  My funds were limited I admit but I bought the two cases of AAs, being most familiar with them. Maybe I should have surrendered the extra $60 for the two cass of blue magics.  As it is, I have enough old style AA cases for the rest if my days. I hope whoever got the blue magics was a reloader.  You never knew what some old gunner's widow would drag in there.  I think those days are gone now. :(   My favorite Peters loads were the early plastic translucent blue shells.  Probably because When I had my first shotgun, a break open single 20,  I went into an old general store in my Grandparents town.  It was one of those old stores with the drawers behind the counter and the high shelves and only the old lady who ran the place, knew where everything was.  She'd open a drawer and ask how many shells I wanted and She took out a box of those Peters shells, take out a half dozen and put them in a little paper bag for me.  

Marc Ret
34 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I wish I had known that about blue magics.  Not long after I bought my 28 gauge Ruger,  the local hardware had a stash of 28 ga. AA skeet loads and Blue magics.  They sold them for about $3 a box.  My funds were limited I admit but I bought the two cases of AAs, being most familiar with them. Maybe I should have surrendered the extra $60 for the two cass of blue magics.  As it is, I have enough old style AA cases for the rest if my days. I hope whoever got the blue magics was a reloader.  You never knew what some old gunner's widow would drag in there.  I think those days are gone now. :(   My favorite Peters loads were the early plastic translucent blue shells.  Probably because When I had my first shotgun, a break open single 20,  I went into an old general store in my Grandparents town.  It was one of those old stores with the drawers behind the counter and the high shelves and only the old lady who ran the place, knew where everything was.  She'd open a drawer and ask how many shells I wanted and She took out a box of those Peters shells, take out a half dozen and put them in a little paper bag for me.  

I love haunting gunshops for ammo not readily available. Almost as much fun as looking for that new old gun. A few years ago, I walked in to one of the shops I frequent and walked out with close to two flats of those AA 28s. Picked up 300 new primed 16ga Alcan paper hulls a while back as well. I still need to find a good recipe for those. 

image.jpeg

Swampy 16
1 hour ago, lee sykes said:

That’s awesome, don’t you just love memories like that? That’s the America I miss. Sure is different now. We had a store just like that near us but no ammo. They did have a good supply of cavities which made the dentist happy I’m sure. I’d leave there with bags of candy all the time.

lee sykes

Amazing how much candy one could buy for a quarter.

kgb

The Peters Victor are probably my favorite, the semi-transparent blue plastic might be bested by the red version Remington sold for a while, and about anything in paper is a must-buy.  2 3/4DE and 1 1/8oz isn't too hard kicking for hunting, seems to have been pretty standard at some point and I just don't find many 1oz loadings from these vintages. 

Compformed16s2.jpg

Swampy 16
12 hours ago, lee sykes said:

There’s a guy that shows up at a flea market in PA we go to twice a year that has hundreds of old paper shells. I don’t remember seeing any boxes though.

paul frey

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I have 1 full box of paper hull 12 gauge shells.  They were at my wife's grandmothers & grandfathers house  when we were cleaning it out.  I will not shoot them and just hold on to them as a memory. 

Swampy 16
59 minutes ago, paul frey said:

I don't remember the manufacturer, but I have 1 full box of paper hull 12 gauge shells.  They were at my wife's grandmothers & grandfathers house  when we were cleaning it out.  I will not shoot them and just hold on to them as a memory. 

That stuff makes perfect man cave art. Something like that is almost irreplaceable , glad you’re leaving them intact.

lee sykes
2 hours ago, paul frey said:

The smell of a fired one brings back wonderful memories for me but I've got quite a few.