Auto-5

My Dads Gun

Auto-5

I posted this pic in the birds with guns thread and then thought it might be a good thread topic to share pics or stories of how we came into possession of our "heirloom" guns that many of us have in our possession or memory. This was my Dad's gun a 16ga. Ithaca. Lets see yours

fullsizeoutput_1a19.jpeg

robp

My grandfathers Ithaca that was passed to my dad and is now mine. I take it out once a year and shot a rooster or a rabbit with it. Not easy for me way short and low

IMG_0853.jpg

Zkight89

KIMG0188.jpg

Remington Model 11 20 gauge that has been the main "bird gun" for three generations of my family.

Shot my first turkey with it at 8 or 9 and Dad started saying things like ' Get YOUR gun". Been "mine" ever since....

lee sykes

I only got one gun of my Dad's.  yesterday marked five years He has been gone.    A browning BAR in .308 Win.   He bought it new in 1970.

Weaver K 2.5 .

chilly460

Grandfather's 1941 M37 16ga Ithcaca

1960856_10203104862287876_1717070233353728362_o.jpg

Rick Hall

Twenty-some season's back, I admired a camp guest's Model 12 16ga and allowed that I occasionally window-shopped them with the notion of making one my waterfowling gun after retiring from guiding.  He became an annual regular of mine and was kind enough to begin trying to leave it with me a few years back, which I passed on with, "Just bring it back next year." until he became truly insistent on what then seemed it might be a last visit a couple ago.  

Thankfully, John, who turned 80 this year, is still hunting with my still un-retired self, and I'm enjoying the closest thing to an heirloom gun I'll ever know.  (One grandfather was a Quaker who abhorred all guns and the other's went to his sons, of which my mother wasn't one, and then on to theirs.)  Couldn't wait until retirement to start using it, so that Model 12's become my designated goose gun, but it is the only gun I've owned in decades that is babied in the field and cleaned after every hunt.   

006a.thumb.jpg.e95dd6b035b31ad4c238ee4cd26ead7a.jpg

Must admit that the Model 12s "mechanicalness," which was one of the factors initially drawing me to it, has proven more of a challenge to complete breakdowns than anticipated and leaves me marveling over those who managed it before YouTube.  But, aside from its bass-ackward safety location, the little old pump gun is just too slick handling not to hunt.

Tim Frazier

This was the only shotgun my dad owned till I was in High school, 1917 Winchester 97.  It was his grandfathers and no one had ever told him you weren't supposed to rabbit hunt with a full choke 12ga, he just shot them in the head ;-)  I try to get it out once a year but didn't this past year. (this picture was 1995)

mee.thumb.jpg.c1389da6f84de6e24cdf2462d260a012.jpg

kgb

My dad was more the deer hunter and I'm grateful to have his .270, as for shotguns I'm curios to see how many of our dads passed down repeaters, in particular pumpguns.

Brad Eden

IMG_1015.JPG

My father never hunted nor ever owned a Firearm.

Staight stock, schanebel forend Savage Model 99 .300

Passed down from great grandfather to great uncle to great aunt (Maine woodswoman, never married, shot a lot of game with it) and then to me. I've shot deer and a bull Moose with this rifle. Lots of family history in the worn stock and silver patina receiver.

henryrski

No pics but I got my father's Parker, Trojan, And My grandfather's Elsie.

Mark Stella/WV

Ku4mTCfh.jpgMy father died when I was around a year old. Never hunted either. So mom picked up the slack along with my Uncle. We were never rich by no means but somehow mom would always save and scrape up money for needed things. That being said, I was taught the difference between wants and needs. 

So my first real shotgun was a Montgomery Wards bolt action 410. Killed a lot of small game with gun but I always couldn’t wait for the Sunday sales papers in the fall to see what hunting items were listed. I always drooled over the guns. One day in 1977 ( I was 10 years old)  I came home from school to find my mother smiling. She said go look on the bed. There it was! A brand new Remington Model 1100 20 gauge. I was floored. I killed my first turkey with this gun when I was in 8th grade. Girls, football, and life got in the way in high school. The gun was placed in the cabinet for many years without seeing the woods. Like a dummy, I sold this gun to get another. Later on I regretted it but always kept track of where and who owned it. Last year I got it back and the first time out with it I smoked a grouse with it. I dedicated that bird to my mom. She has been deceased for about 2 years now. She always supported what I did and did the best she could to help everyone. This gun will be passed down to my son. 

Mike da Carpenter

I take my Dad’s old Fulton 20 ga (from late 1940’s) at least once a year.  Dad has been gone 13 years now, and just know he is smiling down at the adventures his shotgun goes on.  Still use the shells he bought for this shotgun when him and I used to hunt together.  Great memories.  Thank you for starting this thread.

35C054D5-68DB-4D28-A3F5-D5714079D77C.thumb.jpeg.dc7eba9b3593711aeb5aeded725e66ff.jpeg

Jack L

I have my father's 12 ga Remington Sportsman 48, 12 ga Winchester 97 (which is in bad shape) and his Winchester 1906 .22 pump rifle  with an octagon barrel.

Auto-5
16 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

KIMG0188.jpg

Remington Model 11 20 gauge that has been the main "bird gun" for three generations of my family.

Shot my first turkey with it at 8 or 9 and Dad started saying things like ' Get YOUR gun". Been "mine" ever since....

I have one of those or more correctly my brother does. He took a shine to it and I told him to keep it at his house and I’d come and get it if I needed it. That was about 7-8 years ago. Cool old guns for sure.

Zkight89
5 hours ago, Auto-5 said:

I have one of those or more correctly my brother does. He took a shine to it and I told him to keep it at his house and I’d come and get it if I needed it. That was about 7-8 years ago. Cool old guns for sure.

Definitely a more affordable option to the A5. This one has been through hell and never fails to go bang when the trigger is pulled. Doesn't pattern all that well with the poly choke on it but for some reason the birds usually fall when shot at.