REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

The down side of a Forrestor subaru

gunsrus

Bought a Subaru back in early 80's . All my friends were buying them . Being young and just married , the gas mileage thing appealed to me . Neat little car until a year later it starts to rot . My brother pushed me one day and I landed (softly) against the passenger door . It buckled in so far the window wouldn't go up or down . What a piece of junk ! I've been a big "Made in America" gas guzzlin fan ever since and I'll never go back .

Mike Connally

I traded in my 2009 Forester for a full size Chevy PU last year. I never had a problem with that vehicle. 184,000 miles. I had the timing belt replaced at 100,000, as per recommendations. 

It was the most trouble free vehicle I ever owned. 

19 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Bought a Subaru back in early 80's . All my friends were buying them . Being young and just married , the gas mileage thing appealed to me . Neat little car until a year later it starts to rot . My brother pushed me one day and I landed (softly) against the passenger door . It buckled in so far the window wouldn't go up or down . What a piece of junk ! I've been a big "Made in America" gas guzzlin fan ever since and I'll never go back .

My wife's Subaru was made in America. As was the BMW she had before. 

None of my Dodges were though. 

paul frey

My wife had one in the 90's.  I found the leg room in the drivers seat was too short.  And I'm not long legged at all.

henryrski

All I can say is that they still have manual transmissions because I don't know how to drive an automatic tranny.

Talon1

My wife and I bought a new Outback in 2001. Honestly at the time, it was a bigger purchase than we should have made. We were young and new parents, and I didn't make much money at the time. I stupidly thought that I needed a new car for its reliability.

It was fine until the warranty ran out, then things started going out left and right. You can put 36K on a car in Atlanta in a hurry. First it was the check engine light, started changing sensors, and the thing kept coming on, then it had the head gasket issue, One of the fuel lines went out, had to change that. It seemed like every other month, it was another $300-500 repair bill. Once the head gasket went, I just threw some Bars Leaks in and it actually sealed it up. Paid it off, drove it a few more years. We moved to Idaho and I sold it to a friend for cheap (pretty much gave it to him). He drove it maybe six months and some electrical problems started happening. It was going to be about $750 to get it going. I don't think he ever got it fixed.........

All in all, it was a bad experience having to spend so much on repairs, and still have a hefty (for me) payment on it. We put a bunch of miles on it, but I felt like I damn near rebuilt the car during the process with all of the money that we spent.

Having said all of that, it was a fun and comfortable car to drive. I feel the siren call of getting another one every time I hear someone say how great their Subaru has been. 

blanked

Confirm on the subaru forums the general thought process is to avoid buying a used subaru with the idea 100,000 plus miles means big repair bills. This has to do with 2014 to 2017 models

This is Tough for me to follow for myself. I consider 100;000 miles just getting broke in with my Toyota’s and Honda’s.  I don’t understand how an AWD system in subaru is more important than getting double or triple the miles that a Toyota or  honda AWD suv will get

TB Owl

We bought a new 2018 Forester a little over a year ago, it's my wifes' car and what she wanted, only 15,000 miles on it so far so don't know how it will work out.  Sure hope all goes well down the road after following this thread.  She loves it and we both really enjoy driving it.

PaFlyfisher

I have a 2017. It is a remarkable vehicle. The eyesight safety package (collision avoidance, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert) is unobtrusive but also very well done. I have gotten upwards of 36mpg on summer highway trips with 4 people. I'm nearly 6'4" and the legroom and overall comfort far surpasses that of earlier Subarus I've driven. 8.7 inches of ground clearance and a sophisticated awd system that includes what amounts to off road cruise control and hill decent control. Basically the car controls the throttle and braking for each individual wheel at low speed so the driver only needs to concentrate on steering. Lots of rear legroom for the class, lots of cargo room for the class. Very capable awd system in my experience thus far.

Cons so far: disappointing stereo system. CVT transmission is noticeable in stop and go traffic. At times you notice less than smooth shifting. On highways and country roads and suburban driving the car is excellent. and you don't notice the transmission at all (thought acceleration is not a strong suite) In stop and go city traffic the transmission makes itself known. 

I looked at the the CX-5, Rogue, Tuscon, Escape, CRV, Forester and Crosstrek (2017 model year). The CX-5 was the best of them all in terms of driving dynamics and it wasn't close. Overall for my needs the Subaru won. 

garyRI
On 4/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, blanked said:

This has to do with 2014 to 2017 models

This is Tough for me to follow for myself. I consider 100;000 miles just getting broke in with my Toyota’s and Honda’s.

My 2001 Forester needed headgasket/waterpump at 140K and I got another 60,000 near troublefree miles out of it. Couple years back I bought a high mileage 2010 Forester and insisted the car lot change headgasket/waterpump and they did it without blinking. 

I just paid my Ford dealership eleven hundred bucks for my 2012 F150's 120K service. 

Toyotas and Hondas don't have a major service around 100,000 miles? No timing belt or whatever?

blanked

Toyota and Honda major service at 100,000 miles is a transmission oil change. That’s considered major for them

PaFlyfisher

Many Hondas, at least used to, require timing belts at 90-100k. This was certainly true of my Pilot, I vehicle I wish I could forget.

Ben Hong

My wife and I have been Subaru drivers for a long time. Over the last 25 years we have had 3 new ones and 3 used ones, including the great XT-6 sports car. Presently we own a 2018 Outback and a 2010 Forester with standard transmission. I live at the bottom of a sloping half mile long dirt road that is plowed  (unreliably) by the youngest of the 3 brothers named Daryl. The last snow storm we had was 7 inches deep and no sign of the rickety plow so in order to make a medical appointment, I just got into the old Forester and drove. What snow?

On 4/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Bede said:

Many Hondas, at least used to, require timing belts at 90-100k. This was certainly true of my Pilot, I vehicle I wish I could forget.

Many modern vehicles period. 

steveziv
On 4/8/2019 at 7:44 PM, Bede said:

What do you mean?  Forget in a good or bad way?  I'm (still) looking for a low dollar SUV for my daughter and the Pilot is one that keeps coming up.