REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Upland_Hunter

CAN TURKEYS BE HUNTED WITH A .410?

Upland_Hunter

I was looking at a back issue of Field and Stream from 2018 and there was an article about new .410 Federal turkey loads. Can the .410 be used effectively for hunting turkey? What chokes would you have to use? What would be the minimum distance that you would have to be at to get a good clean shot? What shot size would you have to use for the .410? Has anyone on here ever hunted turkey with a .410?

WAGinVA

A properly set up 410 with tss is a honest 40 yard gun.  Take a look at gobblernation.com.

WMassGriff

Looks like they can if you take the time to set one up with the proper chokes and ammo, and it doesn't appear to me that any old 410 will be the ticket. BTW, check out the prices of the ammo!

I have not hunted with one, and am perfectly happy with a Rem 870 in 20GA.

Rick Hall

Begs the question, "Why would you want to?" 

robp

I tuned up a mag 10 for turkey hunting tuned up some lead loads 2 1/2 and 3 oz loads tuned up some tss 2oz loads ( tungsten super shot 7s about the same weight a lead4s) tested and tested got a 80 yard gun

The last 7 turkeys  I have killed have been less then 20 yards its kinda of heavy to carry been thinking of something else this year.

Field and stream or outdoor life has a article about tss shot in a 40 showing 9 solid hits on a turkeys head with tss in a 410 this month

IMG_2633.jpg

Virgil Kane

Most places (states) I've hunted turkeys require a minimum of a 20 gauge.  I've see adds for 410 shotguns for turkey hunting, most recently in a Bass Pro Shop flyer and wonder how many they will sell. Especially in my state which requires min of 20 gauge. YMMV

Virgil  

lee sykes

I don't know but I've been told, a .22 magnum knocks em cold.

dogrunner

I wouldn't.

EB&Me
2 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I don't know but I've been told, a .22 magnum knocks em cold.

If you can get them to hold their head still😉

Brad Eden

Maine requires using 10-20 gauge shotguns for wild turkey. No comment. If legal you can kill a wild turkey with a .410. You could kill one with a blow dart if the conditions were right.

Ifinitwereme I'd get an extra full choke and use 3" shells, maybe some of the magnum turkey loads that I think are available for the .410. And I'd call the gobbler into a decoy set at 20 yards and not shoot much further than that, and in the head of course. 

phonefly

2  1/2" in  7 1/2 @ 20 yards = dead turkey.

mccuha

like was posted. TSS shot #9 loaded in a 410 will kill them grave yard dead.  It's legal here and I've got a 410 dbl barrel that I've been wanting to load up some TSS loads for it and take a bird with it.  The results I've seen are devastating on them.  As far as a over the counter turkey load. I'm not sure if they are available for 410. They maybe but I will hand load TSS for mine. As far as 12-20 I'll use the federal heavy weight loads as long as I can find them then switch to the new federal TSS loads.

henryrski
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Maine requires using 10-20 gauge shotguns for wild turkey. No comment. If legal you can kill a wild turkey with a .410. You could kill one with a blow dart if the conditions were right.

Ifinitwereme I'd get an extra full choke and use 3" shells, maybe some of the magnum turkey loads that I think are available for the .410. And I'd call the gobbler into a decoy set at 20 yards and not shoot much further than that, and in the head of course. 

I thought you would use a machine gun or handgrenades for turkeys given your great love for them.

Greg Hartman

I'm no turkey hunter, except when the dogs happen to point them when hunting grouse.  But, I do use a .410 quite a bit in the uplands.

3-11-16 - The 410 spoke four times today

My experience with it is that, WITHIN ITS RANGE LIMITATIONS, a. 410 will kill as well as any shotgun.  Effective patterns are a bit smaller than a 12 though 28 gauge, choke for choke, so putting the pattern squarely on the bird requires perhaps a touch more wingshooting prowess, but I guess that's not an issue with shooting turkeys on the ground.

I only use a .410 for pen-raised bird because I have no problem in just waiving good-bye to a bird that is outside the .410's limited range.  When hunting wild birds, I want to be able to kill anything within a full 40 yards because the dogs and I work hard to get such shots - so I do not use a .410 and usually not a 28 either for the same reason.  

Thus, I suppose that one could kill a turkey with a .410 (especially with those loads of expensive hard, heavy shot), but why would anyone want to do that except as a stunt?  I would think a serious wild turkey hunter would want to be able to kill any bird he was able to call into regular shotgun range and not be limited by the poor ballistics and light loads of a .410.

Brad Eden
42 minutes ago, henryrski said:

I thought you would use a machine gun or handgrenades for turkeys given your great love for them.

That doesn't make sense. Great Love are strong words. If I hated them like so many people apparently do, then I'd likely try and wipe them out using a machine gun or grenade. In the meantime I love to hunt and kill gobblers in Spring with a 20 gauge and sometimes a 12 gauge and sometimes a compound bow and then eat them.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG