REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Upland_Hunter

CAN TURKEYS BE HUNTED WITH A .410?

SelbyLowndes

TSS shot is $7.00+/_ per shell.  How many turkeys can you shoot in your state. The .410 is legal in my State, and with #9 TSS through a full choke,  it is deadly on turkeys out to 40 yards. I'm using a 20ga single with #7 TSS shot this year.  12ga guns kick too much anymore...SelbyLowndes

Samuel Hoggson

Sorry.  Need to stay in my lane. 

However difficult.

Edited by Samuel Hoggson
lane violation

tut

.410 and TSS is all the rage now.  Whatever floats your boat and what is legal I guess.  Above said, the reason folks are using a .410 is because they are shooting TSS in size 9.  Yep size 9.  I think they even have a blended shell that is size 8 and size 10. 🙄   

Not legal in all states either the 410 caliber or the size 9 shot.   

I remember more then a few years ago when Hevi-shot came out in size 7 and some folks weren't allowed to use shot that small unless it was part of a blended shell with perhaps 5 or 6 shot.   I will say, that once Hevi-shot came out in size 7 my world changed and I went 100 percent to the 20 gauge.  Just sold my 12 gauge turkey gun about a month ago.  No need now.  I can't imagine going the TSS route with my 20 gauge because I don't have a desire to shoot at turkey at 60 yards.  Hell, I couldn't even see the beard at 50 yards most likely to tell if it was a gobbler or jake.   

Above said, TSS is indeed the real deal from both the pattern and killing power perspective. 

Brad Eden

Stay in your lane bro(s) 🙃

mccuha
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

TSS shot is $7.00+/_ per shell.  How many turkeys can you shoot in your state. The .410 is legal in my State, and with #9 TSS through a full choke,  it is deadly on turkeys out to 40 yards. I'm using a 20ga single with #7 TSS shot this year.  12ga guns kick too much anymore...SelbyLowndes

finally went to 3 birds a couple years ago.  should have gone to it a long time ago.  I don't intend to make the 410 my go to turkey gun but I said that about my 20ga ive been using the last 3 yrs now. Mainly I just want to be able to say been there done that. Our season opened Wed, due to work obligations I've not gone yet but will give them hell Saturday. I will probably only take 1 bird off our property this season due to the low no.'s we've had for a couple seasons.

mccuha
27 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Stay in your lane bro(s) 🙃

that commercial cracks me up.  My wife likes the one with the doctor coming in that's just been reinstated.  " you nervous?  yeah. Me too. We'll figure it out. See you in there."

GLS

I can load  18-19 shells with a pound of TSS9's depending whether or not I do an 13/16 or 7/8 oz load.  Last batch I bought was about about $50-55 per pound delivered.  I bought a lot more than a pound.  It doesn't cost me $7 a shell.  I can shoot up to 7/8 oz. of shot at 1050 fps.   Why would anyone want to shoot a .410 when one can shoot a 12?  Here's my reasons.  Look at the gun.  It's a $129 Yildiz single-shot with a custom screw-in choke by Sumtoy and a Burris Fast Fire III.  The gun as rigged weighs 3 lbs., 4 oz.  My last two 12's an 835 and an SBE were tubs in comparison.  I've gotten rid of both guns. My heavy-hitter is a 20 gauge since ditching the 12s.  No, no one needs to shoot TSS.  Lead's been deadly for centuries. But cost shouldn't be a consideration.  How many shells does it take to kill a state's limit?  

It will put 159 #9.5 tss in a 10" circle at 40 yards.   20 years ago with the ammo of old, one would have been hard pressed to shoot a better pattern at 40 yards out of a 12 gauge turkey gun in a 10"  circle.  It is a bona fide 50 yard gun, but I won't shoot it that far.  I  get'em within 35 yards before shooting.There's not a turkey alive that can survive a head and neck shot with that load within the limits of my gun.  Here's a youtube video of a man shooting the .410 load into the  cleaned shoulder blades of a deer at 40 yards. 

56609_600x400.jpg

No turkey skull is thicken those shoulder blades and the shot punched through like the bone was tissue paper.  I've been shooting this little gun for over 7 seasons and it is  stone cold turkey killer.   I carry it as a change of pace and it's not my main gun.  The 20 ga. single-shot Baikal MP-18 is what I prefer most of the time.

Don Steese
59 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

That doesn't make sense. Great Love are strong words. If I hated them like so many people apparently do, then I'd likely try and wipe them out using a machine gun or grenade. In the meantime I love to hunt and kill gobblers in Spring with a 20 gauge and sometimes a 12 gauge and sometimes a compound bow and then eat them.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

Really nice bird Mr. Eden....and the resulting feast looks delish!!

I'd like to know when it became a contest to see who can kill a bird, any bird, with the smallest possible gun?? Just because something is possible does not, in my opinion, make it a good idea!! I guess it sells magazines and ammo though??

GLS

40 years ago, the 10 ga. was the rage.  The GMC Jimmy was new at the time this photo was taken.  My buddy has the Mag 10; my double is Spanish.  Both are 10 gauge.   They shot some wicked loads.  The 10 gauge loads of that generation were no more potent than what I can now shoot out of my 20 gauge.

Here's the long and the short of it in the second photo of my current turkey arsenal.  (I also have the Ithaca 20 ga. TurkeySlayer and a Super Bantam 20 ga.)  No more 12 gauges for me with turkeys.  A blast from the past is on top.  Ithaca NID 10 ga. 3.5".  I bought it over 40 years ago, sold it about 25 years ago and got it back in a trade 5 years ago with the man I sold it to.  11 lbs., 1 oz. unloaded.

Middle gun is my 20 ga. Baikal MP18.  5 lbs., 7 oz.

Bottom is my .410 Yildiz TK36, 3 lbs., 4 oz.

Gil

56612_800x600.jpg

56613_800x600.jpg

Brad Eden
38 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I'd like to know when it became a contest to see who can kill a bird, any bird, with the smallest possible gun?? Just because something is possible does not, in my opinion, make it a good idea!! I guess it sells magazines and ammo though??

We get bored and like to screw around with different stuff.  

Dave Quindt
7 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

Begs the question, "Why would you want to?" 

Federal Ammo wants you to; in fact they are going around the nation trying to convince state agencies that the .410 should now be legal for turkeys. Their rationale? Kids are supposedly scared off using larger gauges and the .410 will aid in new hunter recruitment.  I kid you not. 

They really just want to sell ammo. Yet another example of capitalism masquerading as conservation. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

JMO,

Dave

GLS

The restrictions on shot size and gauges were implemented before the development of heavier than lead shot.  Federal has sold for over 15 years Heavy Weight loads offering in the smallest size #7 shot.  It was 15 g/cc density compared with lead's roughly 11.3 g/cc density.  For over a decade, serious handloaders have been loading tungsten shot of a higher density of 18 g/cc  in #9 with great success in the field on turkeys and waterfowl.  What the smaller, denser shot brought to the table was higher shot count in lighter loads shot effectively with smaller gauges..  Federal Ammo, and smaller companies, Nitro Ammo and Apex,  took notice of what the handloaders were doing and started  commercially making shells because of demand.  Winchester now loads TSS for Browning and Stevens has introduced a .410  single-shot tailor made for the dense shot.  I would assume someone is lobbying legislatures to allow smaller shot and .410 for turkeys.  There is a demand apart from any desire of Federal to sell ammo.  Last year when Federal introduced the 18 g/cc shot, merchants couldn't keep it on the shelves and it was sold out before the season started in many locations.  Federal wants to sell as much ammo as it can make.  That's no different than any manufacturer of sporting arms and ammo.  I know a man who has had shoulder issues and gave up turkey hunting because of 12 gauge recoil.  Now he can legally shoot a .410 with TSS 9's and not have to worry about recoil issues.  I have heard of others abandoning the 12 gauge and shooting a 20 ga. because of shoulder injuries.  Not all will shoot TSS, but shoot other HTL loads that provide sufficient pattern density and penetration for insuring kills on turkeys.  A few years ago, a friend's young daughter shot this bird carried by her dad with her H&R Topper .410 and TSS 9's.  The photo says it all.  Gil

56614_800x600.jpg

Tim Frazier

I think Northerners will never have the relationship with turkey hunting that the southerners do.  I learned to turkey hunt in Virginia’s Tidewater area while in the Army.  I don’t know how to put it words but for some it’s very cultural. Then there was no God awefull long shots, it was all about getting the bird close. No blinds unless you built one.  Two brothers from the mountains would come down but we’re known for calling birds in to 10-12 yards and shooting them with contender pistols using .410 lead.  They killed a lot of birds and I think ended up in Field an Stream one time.   That’s why I smirk when all this “technology “ rares it’s head.   If you can call well, it doesn’t take any special shell to kill a turkey. So why not a .410. 

lee sykes
1 hour ago, Tim Frazier said:

I think Northerners will never have the relationship with turkey hunting that the southerners do.  I learned to turkey hunt in Virginia’s Tidewater area while in the Army.  I don’t know how to put it words but for some it’s very cultural. Then there was no God awefull long shots, it was all about getting the bird close. No blinds unless you built one.  Two brothers from the mountains would come down but we’re known for calling birds in to 10-12 yards and shooting them with contender pistols using .410 lead.  They killed a lot of birds and I think ended up in Field an Stream one time.   That’s why I smirk when all this “technology “ rares it’s head.   If you can call well, it doesn’t take any special shell to kill a turkey. So why not a .410. 

I have always thought it might be fun to use a traditional muzzleloader. A .45 or .50 cal. Round ball through the wing butt should anchor one pretty well.   I have an aversion to shooting a bird on the ground with a shotgun for some reason.  I know it's a safety issue but probably not so much where I live.  Just not legal. 

WPG Gizmo

410 is Not legal in NH nor is a 28Ga and a lot of people kill birds with a 28

Shotguns must be between 10 and 20 gauge. The allowable shot size for taking wild turkey is #2, #4, #5, #6, #7 and above. The lack of an upper limit accommodates the use of modern, heavier-than-lead loads that utilize a blend of shot sizes.