REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Upland_Hunter

CAN TURKEYS BE HUNTED WITH A .410?

bobman

I hunt them with a 12 ga 3 inch and if I still had my 10 ga I would use it

Ive been tempted to try my 54 caliber muzzle loader with a round ball but think it might ruin too much meat

lee sykes
30 minutes ago, bobman said:

I hunt them with a 12 ga 3 inch and if I still had my 10 ga I would use it

Ive been tempted to try my 54 caliber muzzle loader with a round ball but think it might ruin too much meat

I doubt it if you get a side view and hit the wing butt.  

GLS
4 hours ago, uplandnut30 said:

There's about 15 different states in that picture.  Mostly field finds but I'd say about a 3rd were dry creek finds.  Snorkeling would be a fun method.

Gators and cottonmouths add to the excitement here in S. Ga. Gil

Brad Eden

Speaking of how tough a wild turkey can be and how heavily feathered. Turkeys are notoriously hard to anchor with a bow and arrow, trad or compound IMO. I've been lucky and have only lost one. My shot was low and the bird stumbled off and sat down within sight, it was my first turkey with a bow and and I was excited and walked out of my natural ground blind, and the bird got up and ran and flushed and flew to the next county. Looked for hours that day and the next with my dog but to no avail. Thats why some bowhunters use huge slicing broadheads and aim at the head. So generally they either miss or kill the bird, sometimes slicing the head right off. It's not a pretty sight when they succeed, but the result is a dead turkey. As a matter of fact trad archer and Member Mike Stenstrom often hunts wild turkey with his trad bows, and fixed broadheads, uses decoys to get them within 15 yards and aims for the head.

BTW. I just got a text from my friend Scott. He is firing up his smoker on Sunday. I'm gonna head to his place with some wild turkey to smoke.

GLS

The late Kenny Morgan, legendary southern turkey hunter, call maker, and author, reportedly killed over 500 turkeys in his lifetime.  (Let's assume he traveled more than most from state to state during the season. )  He occasionally shot a SXS .410 using lead shot, but with a slight wrinkle.  He wedged a cork between the triggers and pulled the front one.  Gil

Slowpokebill

I plan on trying Federal's .410 TSS #9 loads on a turkey this year. My longest shot to date on a turkey has been 35 yards and my average is maybe 20 yards.

I've followed a number of discussions on .410 killer fairy dust loads over the last couple of years. It seems that it will certainly do the job on old Tom.

Someone had posted this video on another forum and I found it interesting. The pattern density he got at 20 and 30 yards was sufficient to do the job. What I found most interesting wasn't the pattern but what happened to the pallet he was using to hold his turkey targets. Watch the splinters fly off the that pallet. Some of that #9 TSS shot penetrates that pallet soit should do that easily to a turkey's head and neck. Skip to about 3 minutes and watch the 30 yard shot.

mccuha

I like to prepare my turkey a couple different ways.  Cut breast into strips I marinated and grill them also with seasoning salt and some other special seasoning. Grill to rare to med rare.

The next is to cut breast into strips salt ,pepper,dip in milk and egg then coat them in flour. Deep fried.     The key thing I do to the breast is to make sure and remove any tendons.  This makes it a lot tender.  

The legs and thighs  usually boil and strip all the meat off it and make turkey salad out of it.  

tut
On 3/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, Slowpokebill said:

I plan on trying Federal's .410 TSS #9 loads on a turkey this year. My longest shot to date on a turkey has been 35 yards and my average is maybe 20 yards.

I've followed a number of discussions on .410 killer fairy dust loads over the last couple of years. It seems that it will certainly do the job on old Tom.

Someone had posted this video on another forum and I found it interesting. The pattern density he got at 20 and 30 yards was sufficient to do the job. What I found most interesting wasn't the pattern but what happened to the pallet he was using to hold his turkey targets. Watch the splinters fly off the that pallet. Some of that #9 TSS shot penetrates that pallet soit should do that easily to a turkey's head and neck. Skip to about 3 minutes and watch the 30 yard shot.

Actually picked up one of those Henry's a few weeks ago at a local shop just to check it out. It was nicely put together and had some excellent walnut on it.  That one had a trigger issue and they were trying to figure what was wrong.  The one everyone wants and can't find anywhere is the new savage .410 with a internal choke tubes.   Here is a link to it.  

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=19253

MAArcher

Some people have a hard time understanding kinetic energy and forgetting what a lot of us have been taught, that .410 is a small less "powerful" gun fur kids.  A lead (or whatever) #6 pellet traveling at 1,200fps has the exact same amount of kinetic energy and external ballistics no mater the gauge gun it was shot from.  The range of a .410 is not limited due to its "power", its limited due to effective pattern density.  If someone makes a choke that puts the right amount of #5 high density pellets on target at 50 yards from a 410, it will kill just as effectively as any 12 gauge at 50 yards.  You'll have to be a more accurate shot because the pattern size will be smaller due to smaller payloads, but the "power" will be there.   

Dave in Maine

Recently I picked up a couple boxes of older 12 ga short magnums at gun shows: 2 3/4 in, 4 DE, 1 1/2 oz #2 lead.  Box of Peters, Box of Super-X.  

And another box of Winchester, 2 3/4 in, 4 DE, 1 1/2 oz #4 lead.  

Make. Turkey. Stop.

Make. Coyote. Stop. Too.

And that's 70 plus rounds for the price of 2 or 3 of those TSS 410 beauties.

lee sykes
15 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Some people have a hard time understanding kinetic energy and forgetting what a lot of us have been taught, that .410 is a small less "powerful" gun fur kids.  A lead (or whatever) #6 pellet traveling at 1,200fps has the exact same amount of kinetic energy and external ballistics no mater the gauge gun it was shot from.  The range of a .410 is not limited due to its "power", its limited due to effective pattern density.  If someone makes a choke that puts the right amount of #5 high density pellets on target at 50 yards from a 410, it will kill just as effectively as any 12 gauge at 50 yards.  You'll have to be a more accurate shot because the pattern size will be smaller due to smaller payloads, but the "power" will be there.   

Sorry but no amount of choke will make the pattern from a .410 small enough at fifty yards to get sufficient density to get a consistent killing pattern with any size shot.

MAArcher
3 hours ago, lee sykes said:

Sorry but no amount of choke will make the pattern from a .410 small enough at fifty yards to get sufficient density to get a consistent killing pattern with any size shot.

Why not? 

bobman

Image result for shotgun chokes chart

bobman

I don't know if this chart is accurate but at 50 yards a 410 load would have a lot of holes in it, if this chart is correct its already a 40 inch spread at 40 yards

tut

This whole turkey hunting thing is different.  Think almost rifle like in many ways.  Back in the Golden oldies the tightest choked gun out there was something that had about .045 constriction in 12 gauge.   So if the bore was .729 the hole at the end of the barrels was something like .684.   Choke tubes changed the equation and Extra Full Turkey chokes changed it even more.  My last 12 gauge I was shooting a turkey choke with a constriction of .655.  That provides a choke constriction of .084.    In other words not practical for much of anything except shooting anything except for turkey heads or perhaps long range Fox Squirrels.    These turkey chokes at 20 yards are opening to about 6" in diameter.  Some are even tighter then that. 

One pic provided below of a 12 gauge at 20 yards.  That's a 8" circle.  

EC8F0328-655C-4E14-9F82-D61136C97449_zpsgqmp8ovo.jpg