Sign in to follow this  
atticus

Time for another adventure!

atticus

"Its high time for another adventure" I said to Sharon a couple weeks ago.  She rolled her eyes and smiled that "oh brother...here it comes" kind of smile.  The fact is, she's a class 'A' enabler when it comes to adventures!

Cabin fever had me, and I had spent much time looking at hunting and fishing trips, watching videos and going to shows--always a recipe for triggering wanderlust.  Thoughts included-- Driving up the James bay road and fishing? Maybe the trans Lab highway again?  Fishing in Ireland perhaps?  Not exactly what I was looking for. 

Africa again? Still another couple years till buffalo hunting on Zimbabwe is on the agenda.

Then, while perusing the web, I saw it! 

The outfitter I hunted with in 2014 in Romania had a deal I could swing;  Red Deer during the peak roar in mid September!

I checked my frequent flyer balance and saw round trip tickets to Budapest--closer to Transylvanian area I'll be hunting--for free and went to chat with Sharon.  As it turns out she wont have enough vacation time to do it this year (we already have a vacation planned and October in Vermont too) but told me to book the flights and go.  I contacted my old friend Marius in Transylvania; a plan was made and a deposit sent.  Six days hunting for a trophy red stag and perhaps a nice fallow deer too, in northern Romania.  And just to see Transylvania again, the steeples with stork nests, hayricks, tended fields, horse drawn carts, shepherd guarded flocks, the Carpathian mountains.....I can hardly wait. 

Now, once the weather warms up, time to get in shape again via 5 mile a day walks and keep at the keto diet.  Plenty of time to drop 30 before mid September.

link to 2014 trip report

GANGGREEN

Sweet, and.....you're my hero.  I'd love to think that I'll be able to make adventures like this when I retire (which hopefully happens soon).

Mike da Carpenter

Nothing better than daydreaming to remove the winter blues.  Looking back, I can always tell when we had a bad winter as the following fall had some of the best adventures I could think of going on.  Best of luck on your upcoming hunt.  Couldn’t think of a better motivator to get/stay in shape.

Chukarman

I saw that ad too. I hope it is everything that you hope it will be.

Spin
On 3/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, atticus said:

"Its high time for another adventure" I said to Sharon a couple weeks ago.  She rolled her eyes and smiled that "oh brother...here it comes" kind of smile.  The fact is, she's a class 'A' enabler when it comes to adventures!

Cabin fever had me, and I had spent much time looking at hunting and fishing trips, watching videos and going to shows--always a recipe for triggering wanderlust.  Thoughts included-- Driving up the James bay road and fishing? Maybe the trans Lab highway again?  Fishing in Ireland perhaps?  Not exactly what I was looking for. 

Africa again? Still another couple years till buffalo hunting on Zimbabwe is on the agenda.

Then, while perusing the web, I saw it! 

The outfitter I hunted with in 2014 in Romania had a deal I could swing;  Red Deer during the peak roar in mid September!

I checked my frequent flyer balance and saw round trip tickets to Budapest--closer to Transylvanian area I'll be hunting--for free and went to chat with Sharon.  As it turns out she wont have enough vacation time to do it this year (we already have a vacation planned and October in Vermont too) but told me to book the flights and go.  I contacted my old friend Marius in Transylvania; a plan was made and a deposit sent.  Six days hunting for a trophy red stag and perhaps a nice fallow deer too, in northern Romania.  And just to see Transylvania again, the steeples with stork nests, hayricks, tended fields, horse drawn carts, shepherd guarded flocks, the Carpathian mountains.....I can hardly wait. 

Now, once the weather warms up, time to get in shape again via 5 mile a day walks and keep at the keto diet.  Plenty of time to drop 30 before mid September.

link to 2014 trip report

By all means do it now while you can and enjoy it to the fullest. I think it was Voltaire who said "I would hate to come to the end of my life and looking back see that I had never really lived at all"

bobman

they need to put your photo in the most interesting man in the world beer commercials

topdog1961

I think this was shot near where you will be hunting. 

Chukarman

They seem to have quite a few deer there.

bobman

The back story lol Oh Jesus Christ!

atticus

That cracked me up!

Chukarman
On 3/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, bobman said:

The back story lol Oh Jesus Christ!

Why not just WHOA the dog? Funny, tho'.