pa'tridge hunters

Who needs a cat when you've got an owl!

pa'tridge hunters

I walked to the back door just after dark and there was an owl perched on the railing. Of course as soon as he saw me he took off. I'd have never guessed they would come that close to a house. I've heard that this winter has been hard on them and all I can think is he was after a mouse where the snow had melted next to the foundation.

WPG Gizmo

We always have a few around very cool birds.

Brad Eden

What type owl? Could you tell? Barred are very common in Maine. Plenty of hares around my area so I don't think they are too stressed this winter, which knock on wood will possibly go down as an average/moderate winter. Gulp...I just jinxed us.

WMassGriff
8 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

What type owl? Could you tell? Barred are very common in Maine. Plenty of hares around my area so I don't think they are too stressed this winter, which knock on wood will possibly go down as an average/moderate winter. Gulp...I just jinxed us.

SHHH!

C.J.L.

It was probably your invitation to Hogwarts.  Now you'll never be a wizard. Tough break.  

Big Al

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

We have barred owls that live real close to our house here in Florida.  Have never seen them on the house per se but they spend a lot of time in the trees on our lot.  Their hoot is really cool to hear.

pa'tridge hunters

I only got a glimpse, but I'd say yes a Barred Owl. Maybe a smaller version.  We have them around the house, but this guy was on the back porch  just four feet from the kitchen door.

And if we get more snow Brad your name will be mud or snow then mud again.

SelbyLowndes

The "who who, who cooks for  you" of our GA Barred Owls is what wakes up the turkeys down here. They hoot right after the Whippoorwills go quiet.  If it weren't for Barred Owls we'd have to hunt turkeys by slipping through the trees and shooting them where they sleep...SelbyLowndes

Spin

We have Horned owls around here. By far the most common owl in residence is Eastern Screech Owls. I love to scare the snot out of the younger kids in our family by coaxing one or two of them outside in mid summer when a couple of these little guys start calling out in that ghostly wail of theirs. If the kids are on the younger side you'd swear their hair stands on end. They come in with eyes like tea saucers too. Especially when 4 or 5 different owls start this call to proclaim their territory.

Example of a real call. You wouldn't think such a small bird could make such a noise.   Link;  https://www.alleghenyfront.org/real-sounds-of-the-eastern-screech-owl/

sneem

We occasionally get screech owls around the house. PITA at night. Loud enough to be distracting when trying to sleep. A few years ago one was in the tree in the front yard just screeching away. The wife and I went out with a flashlight and lite it up. No response. It just sat there looking at us and continued his noise making.

Craig Conroy

Barred owls can make some highly weird noise when their owlets are begging for food.  They always nest near our place, but, one year early in the summer, the young birds wound up perching in a big White Oak right next to the house.  For a few nights, it was like living in a haunted house 🙄.

quailguy

We had barred owls, screech owls and great horned owls (al least) back in south Texas.  The screech owls hung out around the house; we’d see them at the bird bath. The most interesting thing was the screech owls would grab geckos off the side of the house at night. You would hear a scratching sound of the little owls’ claws on the side of the house, look over and see him hit the house, grab the little lizard and then fly off. The owl made no noise at all flying, the only sound was the talons against the side of the house. 

jeff88

My wife and I both love owls.  We have some great horned owls nearby that we enjoy hearing and sometimes seeing.  In PGH we had a Saw Whet owl living in our yard, we could not believe the sound those tiny little guys could make.

CJL -- hilarious!  Thought you'd have 100 'Likes' by now for that line.

Tim Frazier

I was a big fan till I found they (Barred Owls) eat Wood Duck chicks >:(  Then I found out Great Horned Owls eat Barred Owls so when the Great Horned Owls showed up this winter I was cheering them on.  Turns out all owls eat smaller owls, weird.

C.J.L.
3 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

I was a big fan till I found they (Barred Owls) eat Wood Duck chicks >:(  Then I found out Great Horned Owls eat Barred Owls so when the Great Horned Owls showed up this winter I was cheering them on.  Turns out all owls eat smaller owls, weird.

In Montana 3 years ago a few miles south of Canada late November bird hunting along a tree line there was a great horned owl hanging out with a snowy owl sitting in the same tree. When I'd bumped the snowy into flight the horned would fly down the tree line to same tree snowy landed like they were buddies.  A horned owl is a good 1/3 bigger than a snowy and I was kinda thinking that horned owl was just waiting for snowy to fly out into the open so he could get his shot in.  I didn't fly any game birds in that spot so maybe them two cleaned out all the game and it was owl eat owl time.  

I read once where the Inuits place posts along their arctic fox trap lines with a leg hold trap on top to catch snowy's for eaten.  Might be that ol horny owl liked eating snowy's too.