charlie

The only time I fly fish is when I go on a trip some place.  I have very limited experience, but do enjoy it.  I will find myself in Yellowstone this August for a few days.  I am looking for one day of fully guided fishing.  If anyone has a recommendation of rivers and guides I would appreciate.  There are two families traveling together.  I may be fishing alone or might find that others in the group want to join me.  With that said, a guide (guide service) that would be patient with young or first time anglers is preferred.  Of course, I will Google this to, but it's always helpful to draw from personal experiences. Thanks for your assistance.

Charlie

shoot-straight

What area of Yellowstone are you staying ? 

snapt

If in West I'd go with:

Blue Ribbon Flies out of West is class. http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/trips_and_guides/guide_trips/walk_wade_trips

Big Sky Anglers is the Old Bud Lilly's, Joe, Jonathan, Justin et all are great guys with a lot of energy. http://bigskyanglers.com/guided-fly-fishing-trips/full-day-guided-fly-fishing/

I would stay clear of Arrick's or Jacklin's operations.

If up North Angler's West in the Paradise Valley is solid. Matson run's a good operation. https://www.montanaflyfishers.com/guided-trips

Enjoy the hood.

Okhotnik

Blue Ribbon good to go

Remo

This story has nothing to do with your request but I feel an overwhelming need to burbble. Many years ago my wife and I were sitting on the lake shore at Yellowstone, watching the fly fishermen in their graceful endeavor. A rusty Winnebago pulled into the camp lot and 3 small kids bailed out and started fishing from shore. I swear they each had the Popeil's Pocket Fisherman and were having huge success with the trout. Which gained them icy stares from the guys in waders. That is all, carry on. 😄

D. Case

I second Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone as top notch.  Also check out the area around Cody Wyo.  as less crowded.

Dave in Maine

You may want to go over to the Classic Flyrod Forum - there's a bunch of information available there for the asking.

bennelli-banger

i used a clear plastic casting bubble and a dry fly, I believe, in 1993 and caught cutthroats from shore on yellowstone lake...casted out a mile it seemed with my little ultralight outfit...

charlie

Thank you to everyone for the input.  I appreciate the effort.  To answer the question about where I'll be in Yellowstone, the answer is I don't know.  My wife and her friend are planning the trip.  I simply asked that I get one day of fly fishing.  We're starting in South Dakota....Mt Rushmore and Badlands.  Then driving through the east entrance of Yellowstone.  We'll be staying in Cody, but I don't know that I'll have enough time to fish there.  Then we are staying in Yellowstone for several days.  Driving around a bunch.  Changing sleeping venues here and there.  Not sure where we'll be exactly.  Once we're done in Yellowstone, we are driving down to Jackson and doing some stuff there.  My first ever fly fishing experience was in Jackson and I loved it.  In reality, I'll fish anywhere I have the time.  I just thought it would be cool to have a chance to do it in the Park....you know, give myself a chance to get mauled by a Yellowstone grizzly while landing a native cutthroat.  In any event, it sounds like I should give Blue Ribbon some serious consideration.  Thanks again!

Charlie

Steve Hunts

Josh Stanish is great. Have known him for 20 years. You should be able to get in touch with him here-

http://montanatroutchasers.com/staff/josh-stanish/

He has a bunch of YouTube videos tieing flies.

NW River Mac
6 hours ago, charlie said:

Thank you to everyone for the input.  I appreciate the effort.  To answer the question about where I'll be in Yellowstone, the answer is I don't know.  My wife and her friend are planning the trip.  I simply asked that I get one day of fly fishing.  We're starting in South Dakota....Mt Rushmore and Badlands.  Then driving through the east entrance of Yellowstone.  We'll be staying in Cody, but I don't know that I'll have enough time to fish there.  Then we are staying in Yellowstone for several days.  Driving around a bunch.  Changing sleeping venues here and there.  Not sure where we'll be exactly.  Once we're done in Yellowstone, we are driving down to Jackson and doing some stuff there.  My first ever fly fishing experience was in Jackson and I loved it.  In reality, I'll fish anywhere I have the time.  I just thought it would be cool to have a chance to do it in the Park....you know, give myself a chance to get mauled by a Yellowstone grizzly while landing a native cutthroat.  In any event, it sounds like I should give Blue Ribbon some serious consideration.  Thanks again!

Charlie

If you are going with an outfitter you should be fine.  I don't have any recommendations for you there.  However, most of the rivers in the park can be accessed easily.  There are so many world class scenic places to fish it didn't matter much to me if I caught fish or not.  Being knee deep in the Fire Hole river in the middle of a meadow with buffalo nearby is a Remington moment and I would try to do as many such things are I could.  I did fish in Jackson (Snake River) and caught quite a few trout.  The highlight of those days were the scenery and a picnic in the shadows of the Tetons.  

I would think a half day float trip would be best for young kids and fly rods.  That way the guide can handle them and you would be able to get a cast in every now and then.

August will be crowded there so valium or weed may be necessary to cope with the traffic.  However, don't get frustrated as this is one of the most beautiful places on earth.  It's a religious experience and most anything you do there will not be forgotten. Enjoy

Jacksdad

wouldn't occur to me to pay someone $550 to walk me around a trout stream.  I say do some online scouting, tie some stuff up and go enjoy yourself on whatever water you might be near.  

WMassGriff
8 hours ago, charlie said:

Charlie

Can't help with fishing, but when in Cody make sure you visit the Museum its awesome! Been there 2 times on hunting trips and once on a Yellowstone Vacation. The Irma is a must also for a Bison Burger. Honk your horn when driving by the Red Pole Ranch for me. (Other side of Buffalo Bill Reservoir towards the East Gate)

snapt

Let me know if you need any recs for Jackson, fishing or otherwise.

chilly460

I had a great time fishing with Tom Gardner with Wild Trout Outfitters, they're located in Big Sky but fished with him inside the park.  He'll work his ass off for you and is all around good guy to spend the day with.  

https://wildtroutoutfitters.com/wild-trout-outfitters-guides/

I've taken two trips with him, solid fish and numbers both times

21616448_10210241637142787_6377162356813126870_n.jpg

21731076_10210202623807478_6565436911337596593_n.jpg

21742871_10210241638182813_3777313364452212331_n.jpg

21761731_10210202623967482_1183424079464517131_n.jpg