Jacksdad
20 minutes ago, charlie said:

You are right.  I didn't get the tone of your initial reply correct.  To me it seemed like you were judging for wanting a guide instead of doing it on my own.  I'll take you at your word that you meant no insult and offer up my apology for my responses.  I'm sorry for my behavior.

I think we both jumped in hot.  My apologies as well.  I could've worded it better.  

fly fishing is a phenomenal hobby and brings a great peace to the soul.  You will love it.  It is fun for all types of fish too.  I used to take the fly rod to a local spillway and catch bass and pickerel.  panfish are a good time as well and relatively dimwitted.  Still I feel like trout on moving water is the most fun.  mending the line just so and watching for it to suddenly drag....can get pretty intense in a quiet way.  

Bullwinkle

I've been going to Yellowstone beginning Labor Day weekend for 2 weeks for at least the last 20 years! I usual fly into Billings, drive the Beartooth and work out of Cooke City. I always make a trip or two over to West Yellowstone to visit at Blue Ribbon and get latest fishing reports and a nice BS session. A float on the Yellowstone or a guide in the park is money well spent.

chilly460
12 hours ago, charlie said:

Are these photos taken from fishing you did somewhere inside the Park?  Looks like there are some really nice fish to be found.

Yep, those are all pics from inside the park.  Not the best pic but there's a bison feeding on the far bank in this pic, it was a bucket list item to fish inside the park and get an experience like this.  

21761839_10210241637022784_5567444254793707850_n.jpg

sharptail grouse
12 hours ago, Jacksdad said:

I think we both jumped in hot.  My apologies as well.  I could've worded it better.  

fly fishing is a phenomenal hobby and brings a great peace to the soul.  You will love it.  It is fun for all types of fish too.  I used to take the fly rod to a local spillway and catch bass and pickerel.  panfish are a good time as well and relatively dimwitted.  Still I feel like trout on moving water is the most fun.  mending the line just so and watching for it to suddenly drag....can get pretty intense in a quiet way.  

Good advice. It might be worth your time to buy an inexpensive outfit and fish for pan fish near home before you take your trip west. You may find the practice in casting alone well worth the effort. You'll also catch some fish!

Have a great trip :D

floodcity

I will be in Jackson the last week of July/1st week of August.  I can help you out with walk in fishing. When you drive through Yellowstone make sure you hit the gates early. It becomes crowded quickly.

floodcity

Also, the snake river out of Jackson is a beautiful float. You might be able to pair up fishing boats with a scenic raft trip for those in your group not wanting to fish. 

Big Al

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said.  Fishing in Yellowstone is a unique experience but remember that by August the fish will have seen a lot of artificial flies.  Enjoy the surrounding beauty and some of the most beautiful rivers to be found anywhere. 

If you want to venture out on your own and not have to contend with other fisherman I would suggest fishing Slough Creek.  Park at the campground and start fishing upstream from there.  It will be pocket fishing as the river is tumbling down the mountain.  Most people shy away from pocket fishing so it really cuts down on the number of people on the river.  Lots of fish but not much size. 

floodcity

Current weather conditions in Jackson. 

output.jpg

atticus

I hope to get back to Yellowstone again--Grand Teton too!

Sharon took this of me in--I think the Gibbon River--a few years back. 

10668264_10152759988610530_1184955537_n_