Sign in to follow this  
Billwolfe

Dairy yard pigeons?

drummer's stump
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, thirdbite said:

I'm reminded of a friend in college who, as a biology project, trapped a pigeon and analyzed it for parasites.  Found a large number of such, both internal and external,  including some that weren't known to exist in the area.  I'll pass on eating them.

all wild birds carry parasites, I have seen grouse with tape worm cyst, and a bunch of other things. Pigeons are about 100 X cleaner than turkeys and chickens. Would I eat a bird from the city, probably not. A bird from a dairy operation absolutely.

Irishwhistler
19 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

all wild birds carry parasites, I have seen grouse with tape worm cyst, and a bunch of other things. Pigeons are about 100 X cleaner than turkeys and chickens. Would I eat a bird from the city, probably not. A bird from a dairy operation absolutely.

We use the SNM's too along with one of their mojo birds.👌

Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Spin

When I was a young kid I played ball in a Farm Team League and the Coach's wife was French (WWII Vet) Coach Grable also had a son (Gary) my age who like to hunt almost as much as he liked Baseball. I knew where we could Dry Gulch a few grain fed birds on a regular basis and His Mom paid a quarter a piece for a bird. The relationship worked well enough for the Summer but the Grable's moved the next year and my days of "Market Hunting" came to an end.

TB Owl

As a little guy with my prized Daisy "Buffalo Bill" BB gun I used to climb up the bales of hay in the hay loft to get close enough to the pigeons in the cupola of the barn where mainly their top 1/3 or so was exposed where upon I would be close enough that a well placed BB would do the job.  I remember the first time I got a couple of them and brought them back to the farm house where my Grandma made a fuss over me and told me to come back the next day to eat them, no boy was ever prouder.  Grandpa told me he used to like to wait until the young ones were just about able to fly then he would get them and said they were the best then as someone else also mentioned.  It always amazes me how many times a thread on Upland Journal brings back great memories from long ago and the people I love who are now gone.

Chukarman

I have a dairy in the San Joaquin Valley that lets me shoot pigeons. We have made some huge scores there, but I do not eat them. We bag up the dead birds and the workers take them home. Even in a well run dairy the conditions are not appetizing. I have no problem with other feral pigeons or any doves, including Eurasian doves - they are delicious.

Soar no More has some terrific products but I make my own pigeon decoys.