Jake

Cooking goose

Jake

Does anyone remove the silver skin on goose or duck breast before cooking.

Reeba

I fillet geese into relatively thin pieces, cover with wax paper and pound them with a hammer to tenderize them.  I remove tendons and membranes as practical.  I marinade them in pineapple juice, thyme flakes, and garlic powder.  I grill them medium rare and serve with bbq sauce. The end result tastes like puddle ducks.

Jacksdad

I have not on geese, it's too tough to do well.  at least for me.  

Rick Hall

Some of it.  Sometimes.  But I've no idea how one might do a thorough job of it without making a mess.

MAArcher

I remove most of it as I cut it into cubes for pot pie.

mccuha

I remove as much as I can.  You probably already know this but to make it not so tough cook medium rare.  Of course most all wild game I cook med rare. I tend to as well cut my breast into strips excepte spec.s.  Those I just filet the breast out, cut off as much silver then grill it like a steak

bmeador

I just breast my geese out. Take a fork and fork the heck out of them, both sides. Place in a gallon zip lock and pour 1/3 to 1/2 of a bottle of any variety Italian dressing, 24 hours plus. Grill to medium rare. Rest 5 minutes and slice.

mccuha

I killed several Canada geese years ago while duck hunting.  I’m not a big fan of geese except spec.’s.  A friend has a commercial cuber.  We cubed the Canada breast filets and it made a world of difference. Fried them like cubed steak.  

Windrider

My favorite is to breast them out.  Cut in strips.  Lightly bread and fry.

Apply Tabasco or some other wing style sauce for taste.

😋

I’m ready to go goose hunting now.

sharptail grouse
On 3/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, Jake said:

Does anyone remove the silver skin on goose or duck breast before cooking.

Sometimes, depending. I grill them and if I'm going to eat it hot off the grill I leave it on. One of my favorite ways to eat it grilled is sliced cold for cooler sandwiches. In that case I skin it as the skin can be kind of nasty textured when cold.

SelbyLowndes

When we split up the birds in the freezer at the end of my Sask trips, I always try to sneak the specklebelly breasts into my cooler. They're good any way you cook them...SelbyLowndes

Rick Hall
23 hours ago, bmeador said:

...Take a fork and fork the heck out of them, both sides...

23 hours ago, mccuha said:

... A friend has a commercial cuber.  We cubed the Canada breast filets and it made a world of difference...

Here's an inexpensive alternative that works for us: https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6

garyRI

They need to be bled. I run down wing broke geese cut their throats and gut right away. Any that die outright need to be salted/"koshered" or they will taste livery. I cook goose breast three different ways. Can be grilled like london broil rare & cut thin. Can be cubed, browned & cooked in stew. Or floured, browned & braised until tender.

Rick Hall
7 hours ago, garyRI said:

...until tender.

Brought back memories of browsing a compilation of Eastern Shore recipes during one of my early '80s pilgrimages there and the Canada recipes all seeming to begin with a pressure cooker or par-boiling.

garyRI
3 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

Brought back memories of browsing a compilation of Eastern Shore recipes during one of my early '80s pilgrimages there and the Canada recipes all seeming to begin with a pressure cooker or par-boiling.

"standard" goose carcass treatment in the field calls for throwing them in a pile, not bled or gutted. Not even bothering to lay on their backs for blood to settle away from breast meat, so I don't wonder why they generally have a bad rep for taste.