Jake

Cooking goose

MAArcher

I've seen rice breast here in New England.  

What's grosser than than rice breast?  3 foot long tape worms.  I gutted a few geese thinking I'd roast a whole goose.  Nope, most all of them had tape worms.  After that I just fillet the breast off and discard the rest.  

shoot-straight

I breast All waterfowl. Rice breast is rampant here in md, with black ducks the worst offenders. In fact I wont Even shoot them anymore. Pintails are likely culprits too. Will never pluck- ever. Rice breast is disgusting regardless of it being ok to eat. Sorry.

Back to geese- yes breast, then grind. We don't actually have a grinder, but a little food chopper works great. Tacos, chili, meatballs, have at it. That's about all we do with them anymore. Always works out pretty good. 

Last note. Some say that snow geese taste terrible. Quite the contrary in my experience. 

WyomingArt
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, Rick Hall said:

....." geese in gumbos and good on the grill."

What he said about gumbo.....good eating. Serve with a good sourdough bread to sop up the broth.

SelbyLowndes

Most of the rice breast I've seen in ducks has been in bluewing teal or shovelers.  I toss'em...SelbyLowndes

If i knew one of those experts who say rice breast won't hurt'ya, I'd donate the birds to them!

thirdbite

"Interesting. I've never seen that. Must be a southern thing?"

I saw rice breast in North Dakota (including mallards) fifty years ago.  Can't imagine anyone would eat them, altho they do look like the porcpupine meatballs that used to be served for school lunches.