Greg Hartman

How to know when you got a deal on a new truck?

Jacksdad

At one point in the recent past there were 'price paid' threads to be found for various brands/models.  Can't recall the 'forum' that hosted them but it was a generic auto industry or review type thing.  Anyways you'd have people posting regularly  with something like '2019 Odyssey EX-L Nav, $37,200 + tax/tags'.  Good and to the point.  the last few times I looked for such a thing I was unable to find it.  Some models of car/truck that inspire an enthusiast following will have forums dedicated to them and you can dig around there.  Not a very time efficient process though. 

These days I think many just email multiple dealers for their best price on a specific model/equipment package and go with the lowest. 

TonyS

I thought Rangers were a good choice, Greg.  I found a guy who had access to government auctions and he bought several '98 rangers.

I bought one for $5500 with 50,000 miles on it.  Other than a minor transmission problem it has been great.

sharptail grouse

I always have heard that you immediately lose thousands of dollars in depreciation as soon as you buy a new vehicle and drive off the lot. If true why not buy a "new used" truck and put the savings into a trip somewhere or a new shotgun?

JoeFroESS

I go online and approach 3-4 dealers through the internet sales department.  Get a few online quotes.  Then I use the quotes to have the dealers play off of each other to get the best price.  If there is a local dealer that I want to use, I have gone back to that dealer to try give them the last chance to beat the best price that I have and they usually want to match.  

Another source of price benchmarking is online forums where people talk about various trucks and brands.  I would bet there is one out there dedicated to the new Ford Rangers.  On these forums, people will oftentimes reveal the deals that they got.  Sometimes there is a dealership that tends to give great prices and people fly in to buy vehicles there - if you can identify who that dealer is, they can be a great source of a price quote and that would give you the floor price.  People will identify that dealership in the forum discussions some times.  It is kind of time consuming to read the forums, but it can make you a lot smarter.  Kinda like UJ, maybe...

For trucks, my old neighbor was General Manager of a dealership (not Ford) and he would gave me great deals because he did not want to drive by a competitor truck every day.  I double checked him by trying to beat the price elsewhere but he always came through as the best.  Before I approached him the first time I had 3 quotes in hand from the internet so I knew he was giving me a good deal when he shot me the numbers.  Note that the dealers get kickbacks for things like financing and I got a better deal if I agreed to finance and not pay off the loan for a few months.  There are also lots of discounts that you may qualify for that can sweeten the pot - like AAA, veterans, etc - these may be on the manufacturers web sites.

apachecadillac

Hands down, the most interesting piece of advice in this thread is 'get a lab'.

But what does it mean?

Bede

I think you know when: 1. You get multiple quotes that are very close in price. 2. Nobody will budge below their quote or the lowest, in spite of the evidence.

At least, this is what I told myself when purchasing my last car. Got the lowest price from multiple dealers in large radius, emailed the lowest to anyone who was close, so moved, others didn't. Felt like I must be close if dealers were willing to bow out. 

MAArcher

The automotive industry is so massive and complex and wrought with fraud (a-la the bailout 10 years ago) that no one is even sure what it costs to actually make the vehicle, probably not even the manufacturers themselves.  MSRP and Dealer Invoice are marketing scams.  As has been mentioned, dealers get hefty rebates.  Many dealers also have to account for the cost of what's called "floor planning", a type of financing.  Not a lot of dealers own their inventory outright, they finance it, and it costs them interest to sit on a vehicle.  At some point they have to sell or start losing money.   That's part of why you see the deals on year end models, it means they've sat on the vehicle for a while, which has ate up their margin, and now people will want the latest and greatest instead, plus they need to make room on their line of credit to get the new model year vehicles on the lot, so its a trifecta of reasons to sell a new vehicle at or below cost.

I've never been able to purchase a new vehicle and not many used ones from a dealer either.  My best deal is typically a private purchase and if you get a vehicle below NADA, then you've probably got a good deal.  NADA value is what lenders value the vehicle at, so if you get a vehicle below that price you're probably ahead of the game, assuming you've evaluated its condition well.  Its been rare, but the best deals I've found are when I had a private seller who would allow me to take the vehicle to my own mechanic for evaluation and give me the "green light".  I also do as much internet surfing on the model in question to see if there are known issues.  

If I was looking for a "new" Ranger, I'd get a model year or two old, private sale, from someone who realized they can't afford the payment, is moving or getting deployed or whatever, and try and get it for NADA value.  I'd try and find out from the dealer if its been back for warranty service.  Might not end up with the exact color and options you want, but you'll probably get the best deal possible.

chilly460

I usually continue negotiations until the salesman is in tears, then ask for a full tank of gas to round out the deal. 

dogrunner

To get the new model as a used one he would have to wait more than 2 years since they are just getting out there, I doubt he wants to wait that long. 

GANGGREEN
15 hours ago, chilly460 said:

I usually continue negotiations until the salesman is in tears, then ask for a full tank of gas to round out the deal. 

My wife literally gets embarrassed at my hardball tactics, but then she'll giggle and whisper under her breath, "I can't believe that they went for that" after the sales manager has left, usually shaking his head or acting pissed off.  ;)

WPG Gizmo

https://www.cargurus.com/ seems to be what you are looking for Greg but if you know these dealers I would just walk in to see the owner and tell him your paying cash make me your best deal on what ever it is you want

Bullwinkle

Find what you consider a fair deal and buy it!  What's your time worth to be screwing around for days chasing that last dollar savings?

blanked

Look at the ranger forums to see what others are paying