REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
spinfly

Stanley Cup Playoffs

spinfly

I know the playoffs don't start for a few days, but the teams are set other than the playing order. Who is your favorite to win the Cup this year?  Obviously the Lightning are the favorite, and rightfully so. They have an incredible amount of talent, and seem to score at will. I pick them to come out of the East fairly easily, though I think it will be them vs. the Caps in the semi-final, and should be a great show down.

For me the West is a tougher pick. The Flames don't seem to get much attention around these parts, though they have been good all year. The Jets have been sliding, the Blues and Avs are my dark horses and have been playing well as of late. I think the Predators  though will make it through to the finals.  Here defense and goaltending will be key.

All I know is there is nothing like playoff hockey, from the drop of the puck to the final horn, best sport there is.

gunsrus

My Bruins ain't looking too shabby . I'm looking forward to it . 

Big Al

When the Bolts beat the Bruins today they will tie the record for most wins in a season at 62.  My daughter and grandson are up in Boston to see the game live.

Tom Avent

LET'S GO CAPS.....REPEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best time of year except bird season. Best tournament ever. There is NOTHING like play-off hockey.

kgb

Is it the longest playoff series in sports? Seems like it, but I do not follow basketball. Being a Pgh Pirates fan, MLB playoffs are always a short affair. 

Ben Hong
1 hour ago, Big Al said:

When the Bolts beat the Bruins today they will tie the record for most wins in a season at 62.  My daughter and grandson are up in Boston to see the game live.

You bring up a most interesting topic. I think that there should be a way to note the difference between the eras of pre-1983 when it was only w/l/t at the end of reg.time  and post 1983 whereby the loser of the ot or shootout gets a charity point and the winner gets the win. None the less, I believe that this year's Bolts team is a very strong one and is most deserving of the accolades it is garnering. But the  '76-'77 Habs was the winningest NHL team in history - 60W - 8L - 12T -  82.5 win %.

PS: There are huge risks for any team that faces the hated Bruins.   Excuse me I gots to wash my mouth out with lye soap.

C.J.L.

Go Wings!!

Straight to the draft :(  

spinfly

Well I hope the Wings beat the Sabres tonight, all they're doing is positioning for a better draft pick . Sabres now have the longest playoff drought in the NHL, sigh.

Pomoxis

I'm rooting for the Jets in the west. If Hellebuyck can get hot, Byfluglien the beast can stay healthy, they have enough balanced top line scoring and physical play to win it.

gunsrus
1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

You bring up a most interesting topic. I think that there should be a way to note the difference between the eras of pre-1983 when it was only w/l/t at the end of reg.time  and post 1983 whereby the loser of the ot or shootout gets a charity point and the winner gets the win. None the less, I believe that this year's Bolts team is a very strong one and is most deserving of the accolades it is garnering. But the  '76-'77 Habs was the winningest NHL team in history - 60W - 8L - 12T -  82.5 win %.

PS: There are huge risks for any team that faces the hated Bruins.   Excuse me I gots to wash my mouth out with lye soap.

Ben , I just laughed my arse off ! Have a good day my friend . I'm still laughing 

Big Al

6 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Ben , I just laughed my arse off ! Have a good day my friend . I'm still laughing 

Lightning had to do it in a salary cap era whereas the Canadiens could assemble the best team money could buy.

I'm just fooling with Ben.  Those Canadien teams were something.

Big Al

This team is something to behold.  I watch all their games and I have to say I don't remember a hockey season that's been as much fun as this one.  A number of individual, team and league records have been matched or broken. 

It'll all be for nought though if they don't get the cup.  Go Bolts.

Ben Hong

Fearless First Round Forecasts.

East

Bolts  vs Jackets,   Bolts in 5

NYI  vs  Pens,    Pens in 6

Caps  vs  Canes,   Caps sweep.

Tor  vs   Bruins,   Bruins in 6 (It pains me greatly to say this!)

West

Col   vs  Calgary,   Calgary in 7

Vegas   vs   Sharks,   Sharks in 6

Dallas   vs   Predators  Preds in 5

Jets   vs   Blues .   Pick 'em. This series has the potential to be the best series in the first round. It will be dazzling!

jeff88

Am in the same boat with those who agree this is the best trophy in pro sports.  If/when your team raises the cup, it's a fantastic experience.  If I had to wager a c-note on who will win this year it would be on TB.  Cool thing about the cup series is that it is wide open, top seed teams often go home early and dark horses somehow manage to eke out series after series.  The fact that a very short time ago the Senators were a game 7 OT loss away from a Cup finals is all one needs to know.  Any team can get hot this week and not cool off.  Every team has a goalie who may become a stone wall for the next two months or a goalie who has been a stone wall become a sieve.  

For we Pens fans our only hope is that they play better than the regular season - very weird spurts of wins and losses.  At least they have been there and succeeded.  My favorite themes in the East are will TB stay hot, will the Caps repeat, will the Islanders defense stay strong, did the Pens just run out of gas last year and make a comeback...

GO PENS!

fishvik

Definitely the best playoffs, trophy and game there is. I definitely want one of the western teams. Pachioretty is the nephew of a guy I used to work with so I'm a little partial to Vegas. But I also like the Blues, Jets, Flames, and Predators.