spinfly

Stanley Cup Playoffs

11 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Fearless First Round Forecasts.

East

Bolts  vs Jackets,   Bolts in 5

NYI  vs  Pens,    Pens in 6

Caps  vs  Canes,   Caps sweep.

Tor  vs   Bruins,   Bruins in 6 (It pains me greatly to say this!)

West

Col   vs  Calgary,   Calgary in 7

Vegas   vs   Sharks,   Sharks in 6

Dallas   vs   Predators  Preds in 5

Jets   vs   Blues .   Pick 'em. This series has the potential to be the best series in the first round. It will be dazzling!

I think this will prove to be pretty accurate. 

Ben Hong
5 hours ago, fishvik said:

Definitely the best playoffs, trophy and game there is. I definitely want one of the western teams. Pachioretty is the nephew of a guy I used to work with so I'm a little partial to Vegas. But I also like the Blues, Jets, Flames, and Predators.

Patch was a pure sniper and I have always liked him but his aversion to getting within 25 ft. of the opposition net was wearing thin.

Big Al

First round winners:

East: Lightning, Bruins, Caps, Pens

West: Flames, Knights, Preds, Blues

canvasback

Well, I’m from Winnipeg and had season tickets back in the day fir the original WHA Jets so it’s pretty clear where my sympathies lie. 

But we we have our hands full in this series with St Louis. They are the hottest team in the league since Jan 1 and the Jets have barely won 50% since Laine went AWOL in the new year. If the Jets win this series it will be because Laine reappears and Byfuglian is back on the ice and playing up to par. 

We had by far the closest division race with 1 point separating the top three teams. But if we can get past St Louis, I think we will have Nashville’s number. 

Should be be a good post season. 

And there was no better team ever than the late 1970’s Habs. Only the arrival of the Jets pushed Montreal out of first place for me. Nothing like the Flower taking smoke breaks between shifts. Lol 

Big Al
2 hours ago, canvasback said:

Well, I’m from Winnipeg and had season tickets back in the day fir the original WHA Jets so it’s pretty clear where my sympathies lie. 

But those original Jets missed the playoffs again. 

On 4/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pomoxis said:

I'm rooting for the Jets in the west. If Hellebuyck can get hot, Byfluglien the beast can stay healthy, they have enough balanced top line scoring and physical play to win it.

I consider Winnipeg to be sort of "part of our piece of the world", played lots of tournaments up there back in the day and would like to see them do well. I think Charlie Coyle is a class act and it would be fun to see him get a run with Boston. 

Pomoxis
24 minutes ago, 123 said:

I consider Winnipeg to be sort of "part of our piece of the world", played lots of tournaments up there back in the day and would like to see them do well. I think Charlie Coyle is a class act and it would be fun to see him get a run with Boston. 

I'm with you except concerning Coyle. He is a good guy but for his size, he plays like a puss. 

canvasback
2 hours ago, Big Al said:

But those original Jets missed the playoffs again. 

My original Jets got destroyed by the terms of joining the NHL. One goalie, one forward and the rest gone in a dispersal draft. The 1979 Jets, one of the best teams in hockey, got dismantled so the NHL wouldn't be embarrassed by how good they were. Good of the Oilers and Gretzky to to pick up the torch and run with it in the 1980's.

The city and myself included, never really bonded with what came next and I for one supported the move not to have the general public/tax payer pay for a new arena that was the final nail that sent them to Phoenix.

The guy/family behind the team now, Mark Chipman, have been family acquaintances since I was a kid. Both families in the car business. Lots of mutual friends. Winnipeg is really a big small town, not a small big city. And he has run a textbook operation from the get-go......should be a Harvard case study on how to run build a successful sports franchise.

Big Al
44 minutes ago, canvasback said:

My original Jets got destroyed by the terms of joining the NHL. One goalie, one forward and the rest gone in a dispersal draft. The 1979 Jets, one of the best teams in hockey, got dismantled so the NHL wouldn't be embarrassed by how good they were. Good of the Oilers and Gretzky to to pick up the torch and run with it in the 1980's.

The city and myself included, never really bonded with what came next and I for one supported the move not to have the general public/tax payer pay for a new arena that was the final nail that sent them to Phoenix.

The guy/family behind the team now, Mark Chipman, have been family acquaintances since I was a kid. Both families in the car business. Lots of mutual friends. Winnipeg is really a big small town, not a small big city. And he has run a textbook operation from the get-go......should be a Harvard case study on how to run build a successful sports franchise.

The Lightning v Jets game in mid December was the best game I watched all season.  Two very good teams giving it their all.  Finals preview?

Canuck

Okay here goes. I am predicting a couple upsets in the first round.

EAST

Tampa vs Columbus   Tampa Bay Lightning in 5

NY Islanders  vs  Pittsburgh     Pittsburgh Penguins in 6

Washington Capitals  vs  Carolina Hurricanes   Carolina in 7

Toronto  vs   Boston    Leafs in 6 ...Leafs lose if it goes seven

WEST

Colorado   vs  Calgary     Calgary Flames in 5

Las Vegas   vs   Sharks      San Jose Sharks in 7... Vegas just can't do it again.

Dallas   vs   Predators     Nashville Predators  in 5 ...

Jets   vs   Blues     St Louis Blues in 7... Jets can't regain early season form and rookie goaltender comes up big for St Lou

canvasback
21 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Okay here goes. I am predicting a couple upsets in the first round.

EAST

Tampa vs Columbus   Tampa Bay Lightning in 5

NY Islanders  vs  Pittsburgh     Pittsburgh Penguins in 6

Washington Capitals  vs  Carolina Hurricanes   Carolina in 7

Toronto  vs   Boston    Leafs in 6 ...Leafs lose if it goes seven

WEST

Colorado   vs  Calgary     Calgary Flames in 5

Las Vegas   vs   Sharks      San Jose Sharks in 7... Vegas just can't do it again.

Dallas   vs   Predators     Nashville Predators  in 5 ...

Jets   vs   Blues     St Louis Blues in 7... Jets can't regain early season form and rookie goaltender comes up big for St Lou

I'm not paying too much attention to the east for the moment but I think Boston will take it. Leafs don't have the stomach yet.

In the west I think you're on the money, much as I hate to say it. However, if the Jet's find their form and beat St Louis, then they have a good chance of getting to the finals. Calgary will be who is in their way.

jeff88

This spring the Pens will have a full deck to play from, everyone seems to be coming back from injury for the 1st series.  Any team that can be healthy and stay healthy particularly for their 1st two lines & top two defensive pairings have a good shot.  The NHL has achieved parity where the #8 seed is not much worse than the #1 seed and so when rocking their top 10 players and a decent goalie - anything can happen and often does.  Back to the Pens, Trotz has done a good job in the last series versus PGH and this year similar results with the Isles.  The Pens biggest weakness this season is on the counterattack and Trotz has the perfect team to sit back and wait.  

GO PENS!

Canuck

The Leafs have more up the middle this year with the addition of Tavares and can match Boston's top line better. If Matthews and Nylander can grow some stones, Kadri can play like a banshee while staying out of the penalty box, and Babcock can do a better job of coaching than last year, they may surprise (themselves).

My brain says that the Jets will win their series but I have a side bet with a buddy and I feel compelled to follow my gut on this one.

Caps fizzle out...too many days in a row partying after last years win and the hockey gods were watching.

Tracker 6

How bout those Jackets !!!

Tom Avent
20 hours ago, Canuck said:

The Leafs have more up the middle this year with the addition of Tavares and can match Boston's top line better. If Matthews and Nylander can grow some stones, Kadri can play like a banshee while staying out of the penalty box, and Babcock can do a better job of coaching than last year, they may surprise (themselves).

My brain says that the Jets will win their series but I have a side bet with a buddy and I feel compelled to follow my gut on this one.

Caps fizzle out...too many days in a row partying after last years win and the hockey gods were watching.

I think the hockey Gods were watching and PLEASED with the partying. Not even a God can be upset by pure joy from winning the best trophy in sports and exercising a decades old demon.

That said, it is a longshot for the Caps to repeat. However, it will not deter me from cheering LET'S GO CAPS...REPEAT!!!!!!!