chiendog

Pointer Folks, let's talk about size

MTRookie76
7 minutes ago, 406dn said:

Not to take the thread on another tangent but the are quite a few very  nice dogs competing in the west. They vary in size but more than a few dogs are capable of winning any trial they enter. The great dilemma about field trials is no dog gets a great opportunity at every trial. But when they do get a good chance,,,they better do something with it.

If you think it will take nothing less than your dog's best day ever to win,,, you won't win. That performance doesn't happen very often, and a more talented dog will better it with just an above average day for it.

Last summer I got to see as close to perfect a performance as one could hope to see. While judging at Mortlach, one of Robin Gates' dogs hit a tape measure home run. The only way it could have been more is if the race would have become extreme a bit earlier. I don't remember dog's names very well, but that performance was a special treat. It stayed connected by a thread ranging far to the front, turning when called. Independent but so much that the dog wouldn't listen. It had two limb finds on a course with limited opportunity for birds. To top it off a neighboring farmers German Shorthair hooked up with it trailing it and then circling the dog on each find.  That took a lot of composure to ignore the distraction and stand proudly for the flush and shot. 

I’m pretty sure one of my dogs was in that brace. I can’t recall which one but remember Mark telling me a GSP joined the brace and did a pretty good job hanging with the big dogs for awhile. 

406dn
1 minute ago, MTRookie76 said:

I’m pretty sure one of my dogs was in that brace. I can’t recall which one but remember Mark telling me a GSP joined the brace and did a pretty good job hanging with the big dogs for awhile. 

I was just typing another post to mention your dog was in that brace,,Gallatin Fire, if memory serves. He did a great job on the ground but could not come up with birds. He did have one stand that proved barren. That was an hour of judging that was very enjoyable.

Remo

Any upland bird dog I could get, I would opt for smaller. Off topic but many years back, mid 80s maybe, one of the OD magazines had an article about hunting driven grouse in Portugal. The retrieves were done with what looked very small black labs. Gee they were nice looking dogs. Ok, carry on.