Brad Eden

My General 2019 Wild Turkey Thread

Brad Eden

IMG_0707.JPG

My neighbor-who I share a property boundary and a Marsh texted me a photo of a Tom in full strut courting a hen this morning. It was on his end of the still frozen Marsh. I headed out back with a box call and binocs. I couldn't see the birds, so threw out some Yelps. Waited, tried again, and he gobbled on my land a couple hundred yards away in the largely snow covered woods. I walked my trails closer and fooled with him a bit. He would gobble occasionally but wasn't hot for my calls, and was likely following hens. He stayed on my land and headed uphill. I never saw him. But it got my BP up.

We headed to our church in our old town this Morning (we volunteer occasionally to vacum and clean etc.) Along the way we saw several turkeys. The Tom's seem to be traveling solo, looking for hens. A couple had good beards, and one was obviously an older 3 years or older Tom with a broomstick beard. Things are looking promising for the spring hunt that begins at the very end of April.

Millriver

My daughter sent me this photo she took in her travels. This got my blood pumping, but not sure if I'll be able to get out.

IMG_3305.JPG

Brad Eden
3 hours ago, Millriver said:

My daughter sent me this photo she took in her travels. This got my blood pumping, but not sure if I'll be able to get out.

I know the knee is keeping you grounded. But maybe you can hobble out for a set or two. It only takes one cooperative gobbler to change the day. Good luck!

Brad Eden

A current new bow Topic has my hunting synapses popping a bit. I'm gonna take out my old Mathews Outback compound today or early this week and crank it way down and try out my gimpy shoulder. I've been doing moderate shoulder dumb bell work almost every day for most of the winter. I could hardly draw my usual 60 pounds last fall and it hurt like hell. I'd really like to take one of my spring gobblers with the bow this year. And if shoulder holds up I'm gonna try I think. 

CzechSM
On 4/12/2019 at 12:15 PM, Millriver said:

Last year I had a foot rebuilt and had no weight bearing on it for the turkey season. My son and wife set up a couple of blind in spots where I could access them off the 4-wheeler. I had a comfortable chair and another chair for elevating my leg in each blind. I would pull up to the blind door, toss some camo netting over the wheeler and pivot into the blind on one leg. I was unable to "run and gun" but was able to sit and wait them out and punch a couple of tags. You have to sit around and heal someplace....it might as well be in a turkey blind. ;)

WPG Gizmo

I arranged my shoulder surgery last year so that the recover would just about be over the month of May worked out goo and I got a lot of time in the woods dont let a injury keep you from doing the thing you like just know your limits and your good.

Millriver

I went twice last year after left knee replacement. The first time was too soon but I enjoyed the last day of the season with my son when I had more mobility. I'm sure I'll get out this year when the conditions are right.

Brad Eden

IMG_1053.JPG

Bunch of hens in backyard a few days ago, picking at bird feed. Photo taken from upstairs window.

IMG_1054.JPG

Two Jakes a few minutes ago. Photo taken from ground level basement window. These turkeys are just feet from my raised bed garden. Thes two juvenile delinquents jumped up into a few beds (just dirt right now)  to peck around too. I've never had turkeys or deer near my garden in the 5 years we have lived here. I may have an issue this spring and summer though.

tut
On 4/14/2019 at 8:10 AM, Brad Eden said:

A current new bow Topic has my hunting synapses popping a bit. I'm gonna take out my old Mathews Outback compound today or early this week and crank it way down and try out my gimpy shoulder. I've been doing moderate shoulder dumb bell work almost every day for most of the winter. I could hardly draw my usual 60 pounds last fall and it hurt like hell. I'd really like to take one of my spring gobblers with the bow this year. And if shoulder holds up I'm gonna try I think. 

45 or 50 lbs draw will take care of any turkey the good lord ever put on the earth.   Get after them Brad.  :)

Brad Eden

Cdy00001.JPG

Too close to my raised beds! Probably nesting on my property.

Coalman

The gobbling activity has been feverish this last week. Have been practicing calling from the porch.

Do you have a youth for Saturday?

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Coalman said:

The gobbling activity has been feverish this last week. Have been practicing calling from the porch.

Do you have a youth for Saturday?

No youth this year. Seems everyone's kids are older than 15 now. 

Brad Eden

Dogs just flushed a flock of wild turkeys just behind the house and behind the garden area. Part of me wants them to stick around so I can fool with them next week during the hunting the season, but part of me wants them scared away from getting near the garden that I will be planting soon. They also flushed a grouse further back and I could hear another one drumming in the distance...and they spooked up a couple wood ducks from our end of the Marsh. No Woodcock today. Despite this annoying rain the critters are active.

Brad Eden

I've already got a couple excuses if I don't kill anything right off...truck went into shop for some minor repairs today, and I got a call back from my mechanic, turns out it needs more major repairs and replacements parts. I won't have the truck back til early to mid next week at the earliest, and Ill be a lot poorer. And a friend who owns a landscaping company stopped by a couple days ago to estimate how many yards of loam/soil I need to fill in a low spot near garage, and how many yards of loam/compost mix Ill need for two new raised beds. He saw all the leaves I had been raking into piles, so he let me borrow one of his big ass Stihl leaf blowers. The professional units that strap to your back. I strapped it on yesterday and it was heavy as hell. While blowing leaves my bad left knee started to ache 10 minutes in, but I wanted to get everything done because we had rain coming and ai had to get the blower back to him, so I kept going for over an hour. Today my knee is gimpy as hell. Wrapped and will ice it later.

I heard a gobble out behind the house 1-2 hr ago. So come Monday I'll likely be hobbling behind the house hoping to get lucky.

WPG Gizmo

All ready setting up the excuses 😂. Your not dead man suck it up and hit the woods