Brad Eden

My General 2019 Wild Turkey Thread

GeorgeE

Withdrawals set in along with the soon to be Summer heat...Workouts, shooting the bow and getting ready for a September Bear Hunt along with a Wyoming Elk tag...Plus our draw results will be out third week in June, so you never know...Lol

Brad Eden

Maine spring wild turkey season ends tomorrow. Even though I tagged my two birds early I usually am out scouting and helping friends, and hoped to get Jo Ann out for her second bird. But my wrenched knee has kept me from any serious meandering. I might do some light hunting tomorrow with a friend.

hobbes

Good Luck.  I've missed it terribly these last two weeks.

SelbyLowndes

Our GA season has been out since May 15th, but it began March 22nd, so I had plenty of time to get a bird.  Just didn't happen for me this season, but I had some great mornings and fine Spring weather.  I was out to the river Friday afternoon to look for blackberries and flushed a hen with maybe 15 good sized fledglings,  The young birds flew about 30 yards and lit in some small Oak trees.  Just what they are supposed to do!...SelbyLowndes 

Brad Eden

It's a wrap, here in Maine. Thanks to all who added to this Topic. It's been fun.

idcut

It opened up here in ID for the fall season on Aug 30th, for both sexes. Took a drive this morning to see if I could see some to sneak in on but all I saw was a nice bull moose and some guy bow hunting for elk.

Brad Eden

Maine fall turkey season starts September 16 and ends Nov 7. They increased the limit from 2 in most areas to 5 of either sex. This is a huge increase in season length and limits. Someone wants them dastardly wild turkeys thinned out. I'm an ambivalent fall turkey hunter but will keep a shotgun and gear in the truck.

mccuha
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Maine fall turkey season starts September 16 and ends Nov 7. They increased the limit from 2 in most areas to 5 of either sex. This is a huge increase in season length and limits. Someone wants them dastardly wild turkeys thinned out. I'm an ambivalent fall turkey hunter but will keep a shotgun and gear in the truck.

How do you hunt them in the fall. Seems I remember you shooting one or two while out bird hunting. Do you ever try to break them up and call them back in?

Brad Eden
14 hours ago, mccuha said:

How do you hunt them in the fall. Seems I remember you shooting one or two while out bird hunting. Do you ever try to break them up and call them back in?

I've written about this before but too lazy to go searching. Yes, I've shot a few on the wing, by chance, when Grouse and Woodcock hunting. I've tried the scattering routine, but neither me or my turkey hunting buddy seem to be fast enough to get a good scatter and we don't use dogs like they do traditionally down south. (Although my Springers would do a good job at that if I wanted) So my methodology is simple. I drive around or am driving around the back roads around here and if I spot a flock in a field, I look around to see if the land is posted. If not, and the lay of the land allows me to work the birds, I drive out of sight, gear up, and sneak through the woods to intercept them in their general direction of travel. I set up just inside the woods, might put out a hen decoy, but usually not, and do basic yelps and kee kee lost hen calls. The majority of the time they get curious and meander in to investigate. I've doubled up in the past in this scenario. Works like a charm.

SelbyLowndes

My GWP (pictured at left) once pointed a big gobbler hiding in a fence row. The bird flushed just like a slow gigantic quail.  No Fall season here so he flew off unscathed...SelbyLowndes