Lurch

notre dame cathedral

Lurch

No, not the school - the cathedral in paris (300 years in teh making) is burning. Guessing it won't be an easy one to put out.

So sad to see such an archetectural landmark that stood for so long...

Notre Dame Cathedral Blaze

OldSarge

Sad. 

Tim Frazier

Yes, sad.  Hope it's repairable, I'm sure it will be.

Marc Ret

An iconic structure that's been damaged in the past but never to this extent. More than likely a total loss. A sad day indeed. 

Ben Hong
34 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

Yes, sad.  Hope it's repairable, I'm sure it will be.

No, I am sad to say. Looks like a total collapse. In my travels, I once had an opportunity to take a 2 day detour to Paris. But for the sake of one unnecessary meeting elsewhere I missed experiencing the Left Bank, Champs Elysee St Germain de Pre,  and of course, La Cathedrale de Notre Dame. One of my life's empty spots.

tut

Been there and been inside.  Amazing to the point of thinking its one of the true wonders of the world and a lot of it was made of wood.  I imagine it would be like saving a log cabin from burning. 

quailguy

I dunno, we might be pleasantly surprised, we lovers of iconic old buildings.  It looks like pretty much of a loss now, but you never know. 

Back in the mid 1980s when the York Minster in the UK burned down there was general gloom at ever replacing the 400 year old hammered wood beams of the tower. Then some one found out that one of the Prince of Wales estates supposedly was required to replace damaged wood in the Minster.  When some brave soul showed up at the Prince’s estate to ask about the possibility of replacing the burned wood, the estate forester is supposed to have replied “we were wondering when you would show up, we’ve got a number of very old oak trees already picked out as replacements”. 

Not a problem at all. 

We can only hope that Notre Dame already has some French friends who can help.  

Fire Marshal Bill

I can't believe this, my wife and I are going to Paris this summer and that's one of the sites we have on our list of places to visit. We are bummed out!!!!

Bede
40 minutes ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

I can't believe this, my wife and I are going to Paris this summer and that's one of the sites we have on our list of places to visit. We are bummed out!!!!

Parishioners lost their house of worship during the holiest week of their liturgical calendar. 

Parisians lost a direct connection to nearly 1000 years of history. 

Virgil Kane

Damn shame.

strato-caster

Quite simply, the loss is beyond words- 

Not only is Notre Dame an iconic building, it is a treasury of religious artifacts (including the crown of thorns), a symbol of perhaps the finest medieval and gothic architecture, a museum of priceless art, a place where kings were coronated, the very building where Pope Pius X beatified Joan of Arc, and a place of worship for both St Thomas Aquinas and St Bonaventure. Through the centuries it survived the French Revolution and Nazi Germany. It is the beating heart of Paris and the place from which all distances from Paris are measured.

Sadly, if it were an old house or office building we would say, "Thank God no one got  injured or killed- it's just a building that can be replaced. While I am happy to hear that there no reported injuries or casualties, I fear that even though the world will pitch in to rebuild the cathedral to its formal glory, if that is within the realm of possibility, the art and antiquities are irreplaceable and will be forever mourned. 

It pained me to recount a similar loss several years ago when Isis ruthlessly destroyed many of the antiquities in Syria while the Western world, for the most part, cared less. Today, as was then, the world lost a treasure trove of its iconic cultural identity and future generations will be forever deprived due to its loss.

jeff88
2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

No, I am sad to say. Looks like a total collapse. In my travels, I once had an opportunity to take a 2 day detour to Paris. But for the sake of one unnecessary meeting elsewhere I missed experiencing the Left Bank, Champs Elysee St Germain de Pre,  and of course, La Cathedrale de Notre Dame. One of my life's empty spots.

Ben, my wife and I spent a week for our 2nd anniversary in Paris preceded by a week in London.  It was right after the subway bombings and we were among very few tourists in the city so the normally stand-offish Parisians were very glad to see us.   We stayed on the left bank, toured Notre Dame seeing all the other sites as well as museums.  The cathedral tour was amazing.  25 years later we took both the kids who were college age again staying on the left bank and touring all over.  While we enjoyed the cathedral tour it was much more crowded the second time.  The 1st time it was almost empty, more like a private tour.

Korthaar

I'm fortunate to have visited it twice. One of my favorite landmarks in Paris. The stone remains. It will be rebuilt.

FlyChamps

I've been to Paris three times and visited Notre Dame each trip.  Judy and I spent a week in Paris in 2015 and Notre Dame was still as imposing as my first visit as an 18 year old in 1967.  Even if the cathedral can be rebuilt it will not be complete in my lifetime.  She will be sorely missed.

quailguy
4 hours ago, Bede said:

Parishioners lost their house of worship during the holiest week of their liturgical calendar. 

Parisians lost a direct connection to nearly 1000 years of history. 

France 24 on the tragedy of the Notre Dame fire.  

https://apple.news/A2oGqB1-NPtmA-I7092pufA

https://apple.news/Att9uqMZrO3q9rnqDycvZSQ