Jump to content
Lurch

notre dame cathedral

Recommended Posts

canvasback

Been there, inside, up the towers and the spire. Awe inspiring to walk that floor. Magnificent and a testament to human achievement. I expect the rebuilt version to be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben Hong

THE ORGAN is intact and safe. Hallelujia!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
1 hour ago, canvasback said:

Been there, inside, up the towers and the spire. Awe inspiring to walk that floor. Magnificent and a testament to human achievement. I expect the rebuilt version to be the same.

The French are perfectly capable of doing fine restoration. Carrying it out over many years risks having a Socialist gummint which would stop the funding imho. The Brits, Germans and Italians might be more capable across numerous years. Let’s hope they get it done; Notre Dame is a one of a kind treasure. Saving the magnificent organ as Ben noted is really good news.   Now they need to find a forest of very old growth oaks.   And find someone who can install a proper sprinkler system.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
canvasback
4 hours ago, quailguy said:

The French are perfectly capable of doing fine restoration. Carrying it out over many years risks having a Socialist gummint which would stop the funding imho. The Brits, Germans and Italians might be more capable across numerous years. Let’s hope they get it done; Notre Dame is a one of a kind treasure. Saving the magnificent organ as Ben noted is really good news.   Now they need to find a forest of very old growth oaks.   And find someone who can install a proper sprinkler system.   

 

 

Over $500 million has already been pledged by 4 private donors. Actually 500 million Euros. Plus 50 million Euros from the City of Paris. They don't need government money.

 

i don’t know for sure but I’d be looking for the right sized trees in places like Slovenia or further east like the forests of Hungary or Romania. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGSIII

It will take much longer than people think to evaluate what needs to be done and to devise how 21st century craftsmen, architects and engineers can authentically restore a medieval structure.  Certainly there will be changes that, will certainly include fire protection.  Likely, €550 million will be no where near the total cost, if an accurate recreation is to be done.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
canvasback
7 hours ago, RGSIII said:

It will take much longer than people think to evaluate what needs to be done and to devise how 21st century craftsmen, architects and engineers can authentically restore a medieval structure.  Certainly there will be changes that, will certainly include fire protection.  Likely, €550 million will be no where near the total cost, if an accurate recreation is to be done.  

 

 

 

I think you are right that 550 million euros is nowhere near enough. But to have that much money pledged within 24 hours of the event gives, I think, an indication of the willingness of individuals and corporations across France and around the world to contribute to the restoration. This building, like a very few others, represented the achievements of mankind. It’s not just a French building and it’s not just a Christian church. It’s something more. 

 

Edit to add.....Nice to see as of Wednesday morning those donations are over 1 billion Euros and pouring in. Macron is an idiot (nothing new) for suggesting they can/will rebuild in five years. Go slow, take your time, do it perfectly. Just like restoring a beat up Lindner Daly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fourtrax57
11 hours ago, canvasback said:

 

I think you are right that 550 million euros is nowhere near enough. But to have that much money pledged within 24 hours of the event gives, I think, an indication of the willingness of individuals and corporations across France and around the world to contribute to the restoration. This building, like a very few others, represented the achievements of mankind. It’s not just a French building and it’s not just a Christian church. It’s something more. 

 

Edit to add.....Nice to see as of Wednesday morning those donations are over 1 billion Euros and pouring in. Macron is an idiot (nothing new) for suggesting they can/will rebuild in five years. Go slow, take your time, do it perfectly. Just like restoring a beat up Lindner Daly.

 

So speaketh A WISE MAN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×