Sign in to follow this  
blanked

;Toyota Rav 4 AWD performance

blanked

I just can’t get a good feeling about subaru reliability.  Rav 4 AWD with snow tires ,  any real world experience

River19
6 hours ago, blanked said:

I just can’t get a good feeling about subaru reliability.  Rav 4 AWD with snow tires ,  any real world experience

2019 model or the previous 2013 - 2018 model?

I had a 2013 and a 2015 both with studded snows in northern New England, plenty of snow, ice, hills, lack of timely plowing etc.  As good or better than our Outbacks with same tires, same places.

henryrski

I have had two Subarus and have no complaint about reliabiilty. My ex got the first and manage to cook the engine, not the car's fault. The second was an 85 and it went anywhere. At about 100k miles it ate the timing belt but no damage done. I taught three teenagers to drive with it and they used it for several years and  no problems.

jeff88

Not sure the the RAV has full-time awd or on-demand awd.  The on-demand versions typically are less effective as there may be a bit of wheel spin before engaging.  However, some current on-demand systems such as the audi all-road are just as good as full-time awd as they have really dialed in how fast it engages.  The audi also has a selection for full-time awd for poor conditions such as snow.  From what I understand, the escape, maxda 5, crv and rav are all on-demand without a bad weather mode.

Per River's note above, I found in the past when we lived and drove in northern climates that snow tires all around were really effective in poor conditions.  Real world experience:  Our '87 saab 900s running 4 gislaved snows w/o studs with 65/35 weight distribution was practically a snowmobile.  4 snows may greatly mitigate the hesitation effect with on-demand awd systems not to mention stopping power and directional stability.  I used to mount the 4 shows on our fwd rides on Thanksgiving and take them off at Easter when we were in PGH.  (Halloween to May Day in Maine?)  😉

BTW, I never see the mazda listed along with the rav or crv - I like it better than either.  Why no love for the 5?

River19
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Not sure the the RAV has full-time awd or on-demand awd.  The on-demand versions typically are less effective as there may be a bit of wheel spin before engaging.  However, some current on-demand systems such as the audi all-road are just as good as full-time awd as they have really dialed in how fast it engages.  The audi also has a selection for full-time awd for poor conditions such as snow.  From what I understand, the escape, maxda 5, crv and rav are all on-demand without a bad weather mode.

Per River's note above, I found in the past when we lived and drove in northern climates that snow tires all around were really effective in poor conditions.  Real world experience:  Our '87 saab 900s running 4 gislaved snows w/o studs with 65/35 weight distribution was practically a snowmobile.  4 snows may greatly mitigate the hesitation effect with on-demand awd systems not to mention stopping power and directional stability.  I used to mount the 4 shows on our fwd rides on Thanksgiving and take them off at Easter when we were in PGH.  (Halloween to May Day in Maine?)  😉

BTW, I never see the mazda listed along with the rav or crv - I like it better than either.  Why no love for the 5?

The 5 might be my next vehicle......gets great reviews.....

snapt
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

I've owned a fair few rigs with on-demand AWD, I can count how many times on one hand AWD has actually kicked in with snow tires on. Steep hills from a dead spot are about it, otherwise the tires tend to take care of the rest.

River19
1 hour ago, snapt said:

I've owned a fair few rigs with on-demand AWD, I can count how many times on one hand AWD has actually kicked in with snow tires on. Steep hills from a dead spot are about it, otherwise the tires tend to take care of the rest.

Agree, and the Toyota systems I have dealt with have a center differential lock (including the 2 RAV4s) to go full 4WD.  Never really "needed" it.....I used it to play but not because I needed it with winter tires.

Flush

One thing people often don't realize is that Subarus (and others) use different awd systems, sometimes even in the same model.

All manual transmission Subarus use a viscous coupling awd system, which is completely different from the electronic clutch/diff awd system used in their Auto and CVT vehicles.

In other words a new forester with a manual has a completely different awd system than a new forester with a CVT.

The second generation RAV4s also used a viscous coupling system.

Newer RAV4s use different awd systems (mainly an electronic clutch based diff like those used on Subarus with auto/CVT trannies) depending on which generation you are looking at. One nice thing the RAV4s have traditionally offered (not sure about the 2019) is a center differential lock. I don't believe modern Subaru's offer this, but I'm not certain. The brand new RAV4s offer as an option in some models torque vectoring, which is pretty cool.

I guess my point is that there is a not a generic "Subaru AWD" vs "Toyota AWD" both have used quite a few different systems over the years and currently offer different systems. If your experience is with a first gen RAV4 from the late 90s the awd in a new RAV4 is VERY VERY different.

Subaru's do generally have good AWD systems, but they pale in comparison to the MARKETING of their awd systems :)

blanked

Flush you sure know your vehicles.  Almost like you do it for a living

Flush
1 hour ago, blanked said:

Flush you sure know your vehicles.  Almost like you do it for a living

Definitely don't do it for a living. The closest I got to that was I did a short stint as an engineer for Ford many years ago.

It's mainly just an interest on my part to research and keep track of who is offering what and how it works. I work in the alternative energy realm (at one time fuel cells and more recently with Li-ion battery development) which is of course related to the auto world, but my main interest is really just personal and not in the EV or hybrid stuff so much. 

I have owned both a Subaru (WRX) and RAV4, and liked both.

Personally if reliability and bad weather handling were of major concern I would get a Toyota and the best snow tires I could. Tires will play as big, or bigger, role in bad weather performance than differences in the different awd systems,  IMHO.

blanked

Who makes premium snow tires for small suvs

River19
31 minutes ago, blanked said:

Firestone Winterforce, General, Nokian etc.

My 2013 and 2015 RAVs and my Subaru had Winterforce studded and my current Lexus GX had Generals which were also studded......

Flush.....the 2013 and 2015 RAVs I had also had the center diff lock available, as does the Lexus (along with full transfer case with low range)

mpaul

We have a 2007 Rav4 with 178000 miles on it. It is awesome in the snow and ice.

jeff88
22 hours ago, blanked said:

Bridgestone Blizzaks are good ones.